Sign in to follow this  
walkerroo

Denon AVR-X3500 or wait for AVR-X2600 or AVR-X3600

Hello audio gurus,

I have recently bit the bullet and purchased the Klipsch KLR820P5112 R820F 5.1ch Speaker Pack, now I just need a decent AVR to power these.

The Denon AVR-X3500 has recently been reduced at my local store and I can pick this up for AU $1,700 however I am aware that the X2600 and X3600 models are coming to Australia soon.

I do love saving some $$$'s wherever possible but want to ensure that the AVR I purchase will be somewhat future proofed. My main concerns with going with the current X3500 are listed below -

• HDCP 2.2 whereas the newer models will feature version 2.3 - I'm not in the market for an 8k TV so not sure if this will be an issue for me.
  • Lack of eARC support, although this may now be enabled via a 2018 update?

I will be looking at purchasing an LG OLED later this year along with an Nvidia Shield to stream media from my QNAP NAS.

I am looking to have a 5.1.2 speaker setup and will be including 2 ceiling speakers to produce an Atmos effect.

Would you guys go for the current gen X3500 or wait for with the X2600 or X3600? My budget may not allow for the X3600 hence why I've included the X2600 for comparison.

Thank you all.

here is a good read https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/3062540-official-2019-denon-s-series-x-series-avr-owner-s-thread-faq-posts-1-8-a.html

basically if you want 9 channels of power with 11 channels of processing with audyssey xt32 and able to EQ 2 separate subs the choice is the 3500 or 3600

if only 7 channel no audyssey xt32 no extra processing no eq for 2 subs then the other denon.

The X2600 is likely to have only Audyssey XT, not XT32. The difference in room correction for bass frequencies is chalk and cheese. For me that would rule out the X2600.

I'll go X3500 simply because it has more power as defined by the power consumption. Hint: ignore the marketing BS about power per channel.

I've had mine for a few months now and absolutely love it! Coming from an Onkyo 807 prior., I saw the 3600 come out but don't regret my decision. I would save the money. I believe eARC is now functioning due to an update.

Thanks for your response Brett. Yes I am leaning towards the x3500.

2 hours ago, Snoopy8 said:

I'll go X3500 simply because it has more power as defined by the power consumption. Hint: ignore the marketing BS about power per channel.

Thanks mate, yeah I've heard all the marketing hype regarding per channel power. So you're pretty confident that the x3500 is future proofed then?

10 minutes ago, walkerroo said:

So you're pretty confident that the x3500 is future proofed then?

No such thing as future proofing with AVRs!  A new format, the next HDMI version will come out etc. You can either wait forever or buy it now to enjoy... 

sigh...remember the old days when the sound was the important thing.

now they are computers.

X3500

X3500 is a terrific amp. However, the x3600 ups the ante with 9 amps on boards (vs 7 in the 3500) and 11ch preouts (vs 7ch preouts on the 3500).

if you're not likely to want more than 7 channels, then the x3500 is a great way to go with runout model pricings.