Turntable advice please

Hello folks

I’m trying to find a turntable that matches my specific desires up to say $1000 used. 

I know this sounds odd but I’m not strictly an audiophile. Most “good” equipment sounds good enough to my ears, so I’m looking for something that has the features and looks I’m after and I had no problem finding amps and speakers I like, but I can’t find turntables with those features. 

My my current setup is a Technics SL-1200 mk II which I bought used but mint for $550, a Yamaha A-S1000 (used $350) and Krix Lyrix (used $700).

I love the SL for its tank like build quality, quartz controlled speeds, and what I consider good looks. The thing that kills it is the lack of auto return. My missus wants to play her Beyoncé albums once in a while and I come home to the sound of the stylus grinding the runout groove for hours... I could buy a lifter but the ones I’ve seen look a bit fiddly and I’ve heard they aren’t reliable (comments welcome). 

I like decks that have solid and classic looks and feel about them. I would’t consider anything that looks like a spaceship, Perspex, etc. I can’t afford a Linn. I don’t want to adjust the speeds every time I switch 7/12” or anything esoteric, just a solid, classic, semi auto deck with solid feel. 

Please let me know your suggestions. 

Thank you! 

Edited by Cosy Cool

5 hours ago, Tim D said:

The lack of a dust cover is suboptimal for my situation (forgot to mention in my wish list) but that’s a  valid suggestion, thank you. 

5 hours ago, Cosy Cool said:

The lack of a dust cover is suboptimal for my situation (forgot to mention in my wish list) but that’s a  valid suggestion, thank you. 

Read down- dust cover included...

?

2 hours ago, was_a said:

Not sure going to the cheapish (relatively!) belt-driven Denon will be an upgrade... In fact, if you get a decent plinth made for the Technics (and that dust-cover that you're after!) you'll have an excellent turntable.

Upgrades for Technics

Thanks for the link. Very interesting reading, but if I understand correctly, the upshot is that U$2000 of TT and mods later, the result still doesn't match an out of the box $2000 TT, but satisfied the writer's itch to research and modify. I am already stretched with other 'tuner' projects and was hoping for an easy fix, but thanks again for the interesting read.

1 hour ago, blakey72 said:

Yes that looks very nice as well. Thank you for your suggestion. 

Just buy her an ATLP60 or other cheap turntable for her beyonce records and enjoy your Technics to yourself without undue stylus wear.

Alternatively preach to her the virtues of portable music on smartphones through earbuds and put he beyonce LPs into picture frames. ?

6 hours ago, Cosy Cool said:

Thanks for the link. Very interesting reading, but if I understand correctly, the upshot is that U$2000 of TT and mods later, the result still doesn't match an out of the box $2000 TT, but satisfied the writer's itch to research and modify. I am already stretched with other 'tuner' projects and was hoping for an easy fix, but thanks again for the interesting read.

Sure... It's just that a direct-drive like the Technics spoils you for pitch stability, dynamics and reliability. You really need to spend money to equal these attributes when moving to a belt driven model - which is preferable of course when done well. I'm sorry, but the suggestions I've seen so far would disappoint.

Edited by was_a

2 hours ago, was_a said:

Sure... It's just that a direct-drive like the Technics spoils you for pitch stability, dynamics and reliability. You really need to spend money to equal these attributes when moving to a belt driven model - which is preferable of course when done well. I'm sorry, but the suggestions I've seen so far would disappoint.

Yes agreed. 

Sweet baby Jesus... I just saw THIS!

https://thevinylfactory.com/news/technics-unveils-sl-1500c-turntable/amp/

This is *exactly* what I want. Now I just need one of you to buy it when it’s released  (at about 1700 Aussie Doll Hairs ), leave it in its box for a couple of months and sell it to me at a heavy discount when your wives threaten divorce ? 

4 hours ago, SkipEsquire said:

Just buy her an ATLP60 or other cheap turntable for her beyonce records and enjoy your Technics to yourself without undue stylus wear.

Alternatively preach to her the virtues of portable music on smartphones through earbuds and put he beyonce LPs into picture frames. ?

Cheeky! ?

Im trying to support her desire to appreciate the medium!

There were plenty of quality decks in the 80s that had an auto lift and shut off at the end of a side. Something like a Pioneer PL30L would do the job and sound quite good.

Alternatively find a well maintained Dual 1219 or 1019. Fantastic units, they will need a higher compliance cartridge though.

• Love 1

On 31/07/2019 at 9:30 PM, Grizzly said:

There were plenty of quality decks in the 80s that had an auto lift and shut off at the end of a side. Something like a Pioneer PL30L would do the job and sound quite good.

Alternatively find a well maintained Dual 1219 or 1019. Fantastic units, they will need a higher compliance cartridge though.

Thank you for your suggestions. I’ll research those units. 

10 hours ago, PKay said:

Denon DP 60L is my recommendation.  You should be able to get an excellent unit for $1,000.

See old add below.

Wow that really does look amazing! Thank you for this suggestion. I’ll research these units further. 

32 minutes ago, Cosy Cool said:

On the other hand..... maybe not for the faint hearted. 

https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_forum/viewtopic.php?t=107935

I had one for a few years which never missed a beat. I sold it to @BATMAQNwho can comment. Also Greg still has one. @Doppelganger  

there are a few others who have had them as well. Like every vintage item there is always a risk. One thing I can confirm is that you have to spend a lot more to get a better sounding deck. 

Edited by PKay