Active Speaker appreciation

6 hours ago, PleasantSounds said:

kii3.jpg

Nice: I can practically hear the way they must sound from the chart!

I heard them once at the dealership and once again in the hifi show and both times I thought they were exceptional speakers! I thought about trading my Geithains but I love them too much to let them go.

4 hours ago, sleach said:

I heard them once at the dealership and once again in the hifi show and both times I thought they were exceptional speakers! I thought about trading my Geithains but I love them too much to let them go.

I totally get your dillema. I never had a chance to hear any of the Geithains, but among the pros they are considered one of the top brands. Which model do you have?

Going for Kiis could get you different sound, but not necessarily better. 

11 hours ago, PleasantSounds said:

Which model do you have?

RL930k finished in apple wood. I like everything about them. Most importantly the sound of course, but also the design and even the history of the company from its East German origins to now.

IMG_20190728_100719.jpg

• Like 3

My active activity goes back 20 years-active naim credos 2way,then naim SBL 2 way,then naim NBL 3 way-naim now replaced with active JBL Everest clones using a mix of S/S and valves - although I have heard many great passive systems,I could not go back down that track

• Like 1

Guest Misterioso
30 minutes ago, sleach said:

I love the way the Neumanns look on those stands! The drivers of the Quested and Neumann look almost the same size?

Yes, these stands are a perfect fit. I think the drivers look similar in size because the wide angle lens exaggerates the foreground. The Neumann driver is 5.25" while the Quested driver is 8".  The V2108 sounds more relaxed.

Guest Misterioso
1 hour ago, sleach said:

RL930k finished in apple wood. I like everything about them. Most importantly the sound of course, but also the design and even the history of the company from its East German origins to now.

IMG_20190728_100719.jpg

Looks like you found a new (and much better) place for your speakers. I bet they sound even better now. 

• 3 months later...
11 hours ago, WagonWheel said:

A77X’s

Classics! Love what the amt tweeter does. They are a challenging design to integrate in a domestic environment though, aren't they? There are a few horizontal monitors I covet but Ive never figured out how I could set them up at home in an aesthetically appealing way

14 minutes ago, sleach said:

Classics! Love what the amt tweeter does. They are a challenging design to integrate in a domestic environment though, aren't they? There are a few horizontal monitors I covet but Ive never figured out how I could set them up at home in an aesthetically appealing way

I agree horizontal monitors make things difficult. Before buying the A77Xs I did a bit of research and they can be placed vertically without compromising SQ so I went ahead with them. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WagonWheel said:

they can be placed vertically

Did you have to rotate the tweeter and wave guide? Or is it fine how it is? 

I just picked up a pair of Fluid fpx7 for my work room. I like coaxial and I also like amt tweeter, so this seemed good. But they are adamant in the manual that they should not be placed horizontal.

download.jpeg.5395e82349e9634a33ac68980211d263.jpeg

Perhaps the person in the quote above made a reference to "ribbon microphone" that we haven't been shown.... but that's not anything to do with transducers.

The actual reason why a ribbon speaker shouldn't be used in that way (turned on it's side), isn't due to being a ribbon (or an air-motion) its simply due to the shape of the transducer

A typical ribbon (tall and narrow) has a wide horisontal dispersion, and narrow vertical dispersion pattern .... because of it's tall and narrow shape....  and the speaker crossover is designed around that.   If you lay it on it's side, it is now wide and short and so it has a narrow horisontal dispersion, and a wide vertical dispersion.... and this will totally change the speaker coverage pattern, for typical listener arrangement in a room.

So... because the "air motion transformer" speaker shown above, is roughly as wide as it is tall .... it can be used in any orientation, and you will get the same coverage pattern.

If you have an "AMT" which is tall and narrow ..... then it to, shouldn't be turned on it's side.

Edited by davewantsmoore
  • Like 1