Sign in to follow this  
Mrpseudonym

Upgrading Foxtel IQ2 to IQ4 now worth doing?

Hi all, would appreciate comments from people who have trodden this path...am considering an upgrade from IQ2 to IQ4. (To tie in with new 4k tv) Currently getting foxtel on cable to IQ2. I understand that IQ4 is only satellite delivery.. are people experiencing issues with this? Can anyone comment on the benefits or otherwise of IQ4 over IQ2.. basically is it worth doing?

I doubt you'll regret it.

The IQ4 has a more modern interface and I think it has more on demand content available.

But, there's only one 4K channel so far and it mainly has sport.

With moderate to heavy rain the signal will be lost.

The driver is really to get the most out of the 4K TV., and I am a F1 fan so that is broadcast in 4K, but all the issues Foxtel had with the IQ3 hardware has made me wary, and the fact that I have to go to satellite...well dont get me started..its 2019 and I am forced to downgrade my internet speed by going to the NBN, and get weather dependent TV service by moving from cable to satellite...and I have no choice... but let me not derail my own thread. I am interested in people’s real world experiences with IQ4 and 4K Tvs

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Mrpseudonym said:

The driver is really to get the most out of the 4K TV., and I am a F1 fan so that is broadcast in 4K, but all the issues Foxtel had with the IQ3 hardware has made me wary, and the fact that I have to go to satellite...well dont get me started..its 2019 and I am forced to downgrade my internet speed by going to the NBN, and get weather dependent TV service by moving from cable to satellite...and I have no choice... but let me not derail my own thread. I am interested in people’s real world experiences with IQ4 and 4K Tvs

As a fan too I watch all of the F1 and it's a substantial upgrade watching on my 4K OLED.

I couldn't go back to just the 1080 broadcast.

I didn't have many issues with the IQ3 and the IQ4 is even better.

Edited by Satanica

I reckon it was definitely worth doing and I don't even have a 4K TV.

Bigger HDD.........plus you can also record all the FTA HD channels......

And, apparently, they are now about to incorporate Netflix as well......

Can confirm, Netflix is now part of Foxtel iQ4 👍

I bought a new 4K tv recently so decided to upgrade my IQ3 to an IQ4.

The IQ4 is a piece of sh*t, I and many others have had serious issues recording FTA channels, Foxtel sent me a replacement IQ4 which has the same issues, the technician that installed the replacement admitted there is serious software bugs for nearly a year, although there has been no acknowledgement by Foxtel, not even internally. The Foxtel call centre wasted many hours of my time going through the scripted processes to try and fix the issues, which I had already done unsuccessfully before calling.

I have purchased a Fetch TV box for my FTA watching and recording which works perfectly, and I can record 6 programs at once if I want to.

If I didn’t need Foxtel for my motor sport addiction it would be gone.

I suggest investigating the FTA recording issues first if that is important to you.

Thanks for your comments @awayward. I also have fetch tv and find it great for FTA. Are your foxtel recording issues limited to FTA channels? How do you find the 4k aspect of foxtel?

3 minutes ago, Mrpseudonym said:

Thanks for your comments @awayward. I also have fetch tv and find it great for FTA. Are your foxtel recording issues limited to FTA channels? How do you find the 4k aspect of foxtel?

The recording failures and total IQ4 freezing seems to be just related to FTA, no issues since I just watch and record Foxtel channels.

4k on Foxtel is very limited, the F1 is about all I watch at the moment and the improvement is immediately noticeable compared to HD. Distant objects are clearer, advertisers must love it as the billboard etc stand out although they are in the background, and close up detail is unbelievably better also.

I can’t wait until more is available to watch.

New LG C9 now on the wall. foxtel IQ4 install booked for friday.  Cant believe to advance I need to go to satellite. Fingers crossed. 

My IQ4 has been great, no issues at all with it, unlike the early IQ3 days. Touch wood of course....

IQ4 plus satellite now installed and up and running. Much better UI on the IQ4 and the picture quality on the LG C9 is pretty good. Only one issue is that my video matrix switch can’t handle foxtel’s version of 4K., so need a direct HDMI connection for 4K. Was kind of anticipating that (even with decent audioquest cables) so will now have to upgrade that, but all in all not a step backwards. Looking forward to the Belgium Grand Prix now!

Not having any issues with the IQ4 box itself, however, the 4k channel is a joke.

Very limited coverage of most sports ( not an F1 fan, sorry). 

For example, they are still replaying the AFL game between Carlton and St. Kilda that was played 3 months ago !!!!! Very few "Live" games.

Seems to be more NRL.

As for 4k doco's, they are on high rotation repeat.

Have seen everything I want to watch, and there is NOTHING new in the upcoming 2 weeks+ of the TV Guide.

Very, very disappointing.

Having said that the image thrown is significantly better than HD and especially FTA HD which is frequently only 720p anyway.

Yes @IMDave I agree with your comments about 4K. I think best way to get 4K content right now is probably appleTV, although I will probably hang out a few weeks before I upgrade that to see if apple announce a new appletv next month.

22 hours ago, IMDave said:

Not having any issues with the IQ4 box itself, however, the 4k channel is a joke.

Very limited coverage of most sports ( not an F1 fan, sorry). 

For example, they are still replaying the AFL game between Carlton and St. Kilda that was played 3 months ago !!!!! Very few "Live" games.

Seems to be more NRL.

As for 4k doco's, they are on high rotation repeat.

Have seen everything I want to watch, and there is NOTHING new in the upcoming 2 weeks+ of the TV Guide.

Very, very disappointing.

Having said that the image thrown is significantly better than HD and especially FTA HD which is frequently only 720p anyway.

It's not the Carlton v Saints game from the weekend?

1 hour ago, SLE355 said:

It's not the Carlton v Saints game from the weekend?

😁😁😁

Well they had been repeating the First Meeting of those 2 teams for 3 months. Haven't checked whether they're now showing last weekend's game ( and plan on repeating that one for the next 3 months. 🤔😉😉).