Sign in to follow this  
dayday

JVC N5/7 vs Sony 4kn projectors

Upgrading my projector soon.  seems JVC/Sony are neck n neck and similarly priced.

any users out there that have compared/owned both?

for me it's 100% movies, no games.   

I am using a JVC HD350 atm and it's been fabulous and faultless for many years, so my heart is leaning towards another JVC.

any real world experience out there?  thanks

Have a N5 myself and absolutely love it.

Coming from an old epson myself and still so blown away. Had it now for 6-7 months with 500 hours on the globe.

Just got a panasonic 820 4k player as i was using my xbox X for movies and games the pany does a great job.

Double tone mapping looks dam good and looks a little sharper than the xbox.

No regrets. Goodluck

I'm on an older projector, a Sony 550, and my only thought on the new ones is I wish JVC did a laser version equivalent to the n7, even if it was another 7k or so. A constant lifelong light source would be lovely. The Sony laser model, with the glass lens would be great, but just too much.

On 23/07/2019 at 10:34 PM, dayday said:

Upgrading my projector soon.  seems JVC/Sony are neck n neck and similarly priced.

any users out there that have compared/owned both?

for me it's 100% movies, no games.   

I am using a JVC HD350 atm and it's been fabulous and faultless for many years, so my heart is leaning towards another JVC.

any real world experience out there?  thanks

Where are you based?  I went to big picture people in Narre Warren Melbourne and they had sony and jcv in same room. I liked both.  I think it’s upto your personal preference.

Don't JVC release new PJ's or at least upgrades each year in September?

I have seen a press release on the laser version of the NX-9 sometime ago, but this was marketed for the SIM market,

Who knows...maybe this year they will introduce a laser version into the HT market...this is what I am hoping for

Anyone seen better price than $9299 (down from 12k) for the JVC N7? might go with JVC as (to my eyes), it's very close to Sony.

21 hours ago, Andy0217 said:

Don't JVC release new PJ's or at least upgrades each year in September?

I have seen a press release on the laser version of the NX-9 sometime ago, but this was marketed for the SIM market,

Who knows...maybe this year they will introduce a laser version into the HT market...this is what I am hoping for

Even if they do introduce a laser version, I reckon it will be a separate product line with a higher price tag. 

I wish Sony and jvc figured how to make cheaper laser sources. I don't understand why they are that much more expensive, as some manufacturers do make well priced laser models.

I mean just from the environmental perspective, they should all be aiming at laser only, and phasing out of Mercury lamps you need to replace.

It ticks me off honestly. I think they are just milking us.

"from the environmental perspective"

yes we are being milked by this thinking.

if you read all the jvc threads and not just in Oz why would you buy a current model jvc until they are 100% to go.. let them fix all the problems first. sure those that jumped in at $12,000 are really happy to see just on $9000 a short time later.. no

5 hours ago, hopefullguy said:

"from the environmental perspective"

yes we are being milked by this thinking.

if you read all the jvc threads and not just in Oz why would you buy a current model jvc until they are 100% to go.. let them fix all the problems first. sure those that jumped in at $12,000 are really happy to see just on $9000 a short time later.. no

Milked by it? Not in terms of projector bulbs. That is just common sense. Just like replacing incandescent bulbs in your house with LED. I've never had to replace a bulb since. And in terms of projectors, how many people would just put in a bin.

I've had all of them pretty much. The JVC, without problems is difficult to best. The Sony's aren't bright enough for large screens and the lenses are hit and miss at times. People are going Epson 9400 as a very good stop gap - less depreciation too, until 4K works itself out. There are less choices today too which makes it easier to decide. You could go 2nd hand JVC from the previous 2 models the E-shift series, you'd be happy with the X7500 or X7900 but not sure they come up for sale that often.

12 hours ago, oztheatre said:

I've had all of them pretty much. The JVC, without problems is difficult to best. The Sony's aren't bright enough for large screens and the lenses are hit and miss at times. People are going Epson 9400 as a very good stop gap - less depreciation too, until 4K works itself out. There are less choices today too which makes it easier to decide. You could go 2nd hand JVC from the previous 2 models the E-shift series, you'd be happy with the X7500 or X7900 but not sure they come up for sale that often.

I still love the image my X9500 throws... Really hard to beat honestly. It was a notable step up over the X7000 it replaced. The lens in it is phenomenal.

I wish Sony and jvc figured how to make cheaper laser sources. I don't understand why they are that much more expensive, as some manufacturers do make well priced laser models.

I mean just from the environmental perspective, they should all be aiming at laser only, and phasing out of Mercury lamps you need to replace.

It ticks me off honestly. I think they are just milking us.

Of course we are being milked.

On 28/07/2019 at 9:59 AM, Javs said:

I still love the image my X9500 throws... Really hard to beat honestly. It was a notable step up over the X7000 it replaced. The lens in it is phenomenal.

I know you had some issues with xx9 series and I have heard the xx5 series was better, but I have loved my x9900 and am certainly in no hurry to upgrade until 4k sorts itself out. What I really need to do is peel myself away from work, get my screen from Richard and set the room up properly!!

Edited by flamjam

On 28/07/2019 at 9:59 AM, Javs said:

I noticed the same thing with my X7500, great lenses for that series, then I think they changed something and messed around with the e-shift on the 7900 and 9900 series. Text seem to look sharper at the expense of the image which was odd. I think they were stuck for an upgrade and had to do it regardless.

Which store in Melbourne have the NX7 and or NX9 on display?  Also do any have the Sony 870ES on display?

33 minutes ago, Spizz said:

Which store in Melbourne have the NX7 and or NX9 on display?  Also do any have the Sony 870ES on display?

Big picture people at Narre warren had n5 and n7 (but not nx9) and 870 (as well as 270, 570 and 760) on display.