What’s with the low dynamics and distortion?

I recently got Ceremonals by Florence & The Machine and I am seriously underwhelmed and a little annoyed at the sound quality. 

I have ave a modest collection of old and new vinyl and typically vinyl on my system sounds better than Spotify (my other source) in terms of detail and dynamics. In this instance Spotify version is easier to listen to. 

The album comes across as very compressed in dynamics, very loud in volume and slight distortion. I understand distortion could be an alignment issue with my TT, but this is the only record I have an issue with. It was purchased from JB. I have bought other albums from JB with no issues. 

I suppose I’m wondering if it’s an issue with the manufacturing of the record or if it’s a mastering thing? Did I buy a dud or are they all like that? Have thought about returning it but it but got no proof of purchase anymore. 

Edited by Kasman

Had that one on my list but after hearing your experience I have crossed it off.  Could probably be a new thread on this if there already isnt one.

Recordings that coulda woulda shoulda!

i had it happen with a reissue of Steely dan's Aja - Crazy inner groove distortion as you get closer to the center of the record. I thought it was my TT, was messing with the alignment of the cart for days!

When I've bought a dud record with unbearable compression I feel I'm paying 'stupidity tax'. So many modern pressings are like this and nearly to be expected when its a reissue and especially remastered from a  digital. 

• Like 1