Sign in to follow this  
Ooogh

Pure class A monsters

Amplifier anyone? This is why I love the boys here in SA. No problem, no questions, they bring over their pride and joy to join the party.  Some of the boys weren’t even here but had other members pick up their amp because they were busy. Not even sure if I will plug in the B1, just too rare, how many 240V B1’s on the planet?

149E19B4-648C-4331-9A66-E5AE2BB4B7F7.thumb.jpeg.352cab4ecd04422e59ba9f6c2588f2d5.jpeg552EFE85-90BD-4CCD-84C9-AB6020847668.thumb.jpeg.84fff0d70c4b5a157c8aa695410f5d37.jpegDBE19938-150B-4482-8FF0-8FF3BF5924F4.thumb.jpeg.3e65712394b99ae7e024234ba88f2fe2.jpeg6CD115FB-0D7C-403F-878D-28A11EF4F910.thumb.jpeg.18df997291e4eff3904a1931fcec80b5.jpeg970002AD-027C-4639-829C-1F78A0373C2F.thumb.jpeg.1f28ab8da99cf595b941df7beaddb8c8.jpegB9A12DAB-4CD8-4429-A4C4-02ACD2E10807.thumb.jpeg.36c755cb7d698fe7453380ec9794f84f.jpeg

5 hours ago, Sirmorebeer said:

For Sale. My valve amps $90,000 ONO.

6 minutes ago, Ooogh said:

For Sale. My valve amps $90,000 ONO.

Where is your ad? /s

14 minutes ago, Ittaku said:

Where is your ad? /s

Yet to be posted......I can’t believe I am actually going to sell my beloved Audions but I need to finance my next purchase and it appears my days of high sensitivity speakers, low output amps may be at an end. Never thought I’d see they day. Not sure I will quite reach the 90k asking price , seems to be a buyers market at present.

4 minutes ago, Ooogh said:

Yet to be posted......I can’t believe I am actually going to sell my beloved Audions but I need to finance my next purchase and it appears my days of high sensitivity speakers, low output amps may be at an end. Never thought I’d see they day. Not sure I will quite reach the 90k asking price , seems to be a buyers market at present.

Whew. You're gonna have to be either real patient, or real lucky to find a buyer in that market. Good luck man.

Special thanks to @elcamry.  The Ayre only accepts spades and I run one run of speaker cables from spades and the other via bananas to bi-wire. No adapters available locally and required on very short notice. No problem, Emile hit the shed and built a couple of pairs. Champion.6455813F-E228-40C1-AD88-2BA26FB34FC1.thumb.jpeg.41fff2887ba2245495a888ac0f2e9f1c.jpeg

13 hours ago, scumbag said:

Try the Pass Labs XA25. Yes, on paper it's only 25 watts RMS but in fact it's still in Class A up to 50 watts PEAK and gets up to 90 watts RMS into 8ohms and 130 watt into 4ohms. Having owned the XA30.8 I can relate to your comments about the XA30.5 loosing composure at higher volumes. My previous PL amp', an XA30.8 did get a lot more bite at peak levels and I found the bass lost composure.

The XA25 suffers from none of that. I had my setup running at 105dB (just for sh*ts and giggles) - measured at 1m with an SPL meter. That was with full range electronic music too. My speakers are nominal 6ohm with a sensitivity of 86.5 db/w/m so that is about 50 watts peak (from my calculations). I personally would never normally listen at that volume and within my usual "loud" listening at about 95dB this amp' sounds fantastic and is still within a class A envelope (not that passing into Class A/B is any sort of tragedy with this amp'). The peak output in my setup is slightly limited by gain in my system (the PS Audio BHK preamp has 3dB gain when using unbalanced output) so I could conceivably extract a few more dB but really 105dB is too much already. At least it confirmed the figures from Stereophile.

The XA25 just keeps going well after the XA30.8 started to run out of puff.  Also, the XA25 is rated to drive very low impedances. Stereophile tested it into a 2ohm load - they have a graph showing the THD at 40 watts / 2ohms - 

218PXA25fig6.jpg

Whilst the noise floor seems a lot higher into that lower load, it's still 0.01% at lower frequencies and starts to rise gently at higher frequencies. I guess the question is, at what frequency does your speaker exhibit its lowest impedance.

See if you can get a listen to one. Pity you are in SA!

The reviews make fascinating reading. Obviously delivering the output with a different configuration and tonal pallet. As you say on paper it would at first glance appear underpowered but seems to cope more robustly with lower impedances whilst marrying well with the Efficiency of my speakers.

Real pity I am not in Melbourne, I think this would be an extremely interesting character to trial. I have an underlying feeling it would be a ‘Bingo’ experience or very ‘ho, hum’. Unheard in unison a bigger gamble than I would venture to take , but one I would hate to leave unexplored.

I was trying to get an idea of the impedance load from your speakers and I came across this: 

Some advice from Zaphod himself.  "The Reference series exhibit an impedance between 2 Ohms and 2.5 Ohms from 80Hz to 300Hz" . On paper the XA30.5 "should" be OK with this sort of load - https://www.stereophile.com/content/pass-labs-xa305-power-amplifier-measurements but from your experience and my experience with the XA30.8 these amp's do start to run out of puff and lose composure when they are driven harder. 

Posted (edited)

We haven't actually tried the 1400 Hugh. I actually would like to, now that I understand how your speakers respond to these other known amps.... It must must MUST  be with the 25 though and now that both have been fixed  I am guessing that I still might be the only person to gain from the experience!  :)

Edited by christosd

2 hours ago, christosd said:

We haven't actually tried the 1400 Hugh. I actually would like to, now that I understand how your speakers respond to these other known amps.... It must must MUST  be with the 25 though and now that both have been fixed  I am guessing that I still might be the only person to gain from the experience!  :)

Plus the Ayon brother. Be interesting to see how that responds directly into the PassLabs using it’s pre section and a different flavour of of CD player.

Posted (edited)

I must say the more I hear of the PassLabs the more impressive I find it. It has a seamless quality and lovely articulate bass. I still feel it requires a few more Watts and current under it’s belt, problems that would be solved with the XA 60.5 with double the Class A and 200 Watts into 4 Ohms in AB. It is basically twice the output stage and twice the power. Abet at a much higher price point.

The Ayre is a highly competent amplifier and was preferred by a number of experienced ears yesterday. The only listener to have heard the 4B3 in full flight found it far more similar in presentation.

I must say that it was almost a 50/50 split on who preferred which. The Ayre is a very silken performer through the midrange and treble but has less of a ‘jump’  factor in this system. It also does not have the bass of the PassLabs although this is said to be fully addressed by updating to the Twenty spec which the current owner is having done next week. The bass on the Pass though lacking the absolute speed of the 4B3 and it’s fantastic ‘oomph’ is far more tonally rich. It certainly does enough for me to have no complaints.

The big old Grant is just back from a full going over and has a number of components still burning in. Well able to drive the Ribbons, unsurprising given it’s reputation as one of few amps to deal with Apogees back in the day. Does wonderfully well for a senior citizen but is less suited to these speakers, with  their level of detail and crisp yet smooth treble. It carries a more traditional valve personality than more modern valve amplifiers.

The M2 was not given an overly fair opportunity to strut it’s stuff. Always unfair introducing a cold amp to a fight with limited time to come on song. However in this modern SS amp warfare it sounded a little more disjointed and not with the level of midrange and treble refinement, once again it must be remembered this is no spring chicken. No problem delivering plenty of heft down low however.

I just couldn’t bring myself to plug in the B1. I know the huge amounts of time , talent and money that has been lavished on it’s complete restoration.  Being one of very, very few 240V units ever built I could not have lived with the thought of doing it any harm. As a former B2 owner I think I know enough of it’s personality to leave it alone. What a beast, I can not believe just how much it weighs.

What next? There may be a Class A amp coming for a visit soon to strut it’s stuff. As yet a mystery guest, we will see what it brings to the party.

Once again a huge thanks to our supportive mob here in SA. Without their ongoing generosity I would be just throwing darts at a board looking for the perfect partner. I have given up the days of spinning the wheel and this lets me distill my choices to find the perfect blend.

Edited by Ooogh
Learn to spell!

Hi

I agree with you that Pass Labs have a certain something that no other power amp has. I have owned many versions of Krell, Audio Research, Naim, Stax, Musical Fidelity, Michi etc. and tried Levinson and ME at home, nothing came close to the Pass Labs Aleph 0 mono blocks I had. They were 75 watts Single Ended pure Class A, before going to 120 A/B. I read somewhere the Nelson Pass still considers these to be the best sounding amps he has made and also one of the most reliable.

Ken 

16 minutes ago, Ken said:

Hi

I agree with you that Pass Labs have a certain something that no other power amp has. I have owned many versions of Krell, Audio Research, Naim, Stax, Musical Fidelity, Michi etc. and tried Levinson and ME at home, nothing came close to the Pass Labs Aleph 0 mono blocks I had. They were 75 watts Single Ended pure Class A, before going to 120 A/B. I read somewhere the Nelson Pass still considers these to be the best sounding amps he has made and also one of the most reliable.

Ken 

What do you own now?

37 minutes ago, kelossus said:

What do you own now?

I am gradually reducing all my gear, I have 3 pairs of mono blocks from; Denon, Jadis, and a Chinese pair using VT 211's