Assisi

Tuning Our Systems – The Elephant in the Room

John, Sorry about the loss of your dog Sherlock. He sounds like a character all right. They are such amazing creatures and faithful companions.

Our daughter's dog Marlo, is 13 as I said and she has only had him 15 months or so from a rescue service. He is probably the most characterful dog I have ever known and I know I'll be extremely sad when he time-expires.

On 12/08/2019 at 10:37 PM, Assisi said:

I Started this thread because I consider that when we put various factors together, we ultimately each tune everything in our systems to gratify our respective listening aspirations and desires.  These listening desires will vary for individual.  I said in my OP

We are all different.  Our respective senses vary in what we can smell, feel, taste, see and hear.  “

At the time I started the thread I was not aware of the importance of the individual shapes of one’s ears in relation to our listening experiences.

An article in the link below by Richard Murison in the latest issue of the PS Audio “Copper” online magazine has a bit to say about the shape of the ear and its role with the brain.  To me it is another part of the jigsaw as to why our listening experiences may vary to some degree.  Read paras 6&7

https://www.psaudio.com/article/sounds-good-to-me/

John

My ears shape mess with the sweet spot unless I tilt my head back a little. :wacko:

Sorry folks, I have now read this fascinating thread form the top and realise that I really dragged it off axis with my canine subjective assessment post. Thanks for not flaming me.

I have a background in defence science and tech so I do find this thread rewarding.

1 hour ago, lenticularis said:

Sorry folks, I have now read this fascinating thread form the top and realise that I really dragged it off axis with my canine subjective assessment post. Thanks for not flaming me.

I have a background in defence science and tech so I do find this thread rewarding.

Can't see a problem with ya' posts, we are not too serious here...I think :blush: :thumb:

10 hours ago, lenticularis said:

I enjoyed them.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By legselevens
      I heard this podcast about music perception on RN today. It's worth a listen if you have some time to kill.

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/allinthemind/the-music-in-your-brain/4985414
    • By Mute-on
      Item: Designer black leather couch and armchair

Condition: As new - sat in maybe twice!

Price: Couch $300 $270, Armchair $200 $180 Both $450 $400, Donation to SNA of 10% of sale proceeds

Reason for selling: Never used and just taking up space - these deserve to be pride of place in a nice listening room (or any room needing a cool, comfy couch)

Payment Methods: Cash on pick-up (local sale only)

Additional information: All the cushions (base, back and sides) have zips to access seating foam, allowing easy replacement when required (or if you just want extra squishy cushions for those long listening sessions )

Kind regards,

Mute-on

• By Kayzar
      Hi everyone

I'm trying to make a decision on a new, sort of multi-purpose, speaker setup for my bedroom. I currently have a pretty average set of Logitech's at the moment. They do ok, but I need to upgrade them.
      However, I won't be using these speakers purely for listening. I would also be using them for some mixing and mastering of music (I'm getting into recording my own stuff). That said, I want them to perform well as listening speakers also.

I know that studio monitors are designed to have a flat response, and should be revealing, which may not be ideal for listening to music (though what I heard of the Adam A5xs in store was pretty damn good). And I know that HiFi/Audiophile speakers, including bookshelves, are designed to have varying degrees of 'colour' to improve the sound as per an individual's taste. It also appears that bookshelves seem more available second hand, compared to studio monitors, and so I suppose I get more bang for my buck there.

Do you guys have any thoughts, coming mostly from the listening community? My budget is around $800-$900. I don't particularly like a lot of bass, but some is nice. 

My options so far are:
      -Adam A5x at around $800/pair. Out of all the studio monitors I auditioned, these were my favourite. Apparently their new X-ART ribbon tweeter has a lot to do with that. They have enough bass for me, I suppose, but I miss 'feeling' just a teeny bit through the floor. I can't find a lot of studio monitors second hand, so this is brand new. 

-Adam A3x at around $600/pair, plus work out how to add a hifi sub to this. These have very minimal bass. Midrange is also lacking a little from the A5x, but not a huge amount. I have the opportunity to buy a really really good second hand sub at around $300 as well. Not sure how to wire this in just yet, as studio monitor systems with subs run the input into the sub, and then the sub outs into the speakers. Any suggestions?

-Keep my eyes peeled for a pair of second hand bookshelves and maybe a T-Amp to go along with the sub. There is a pair of Leema Xeros in the classifieds right now for $490 (jijiband)

The Adams are going to be around 20% off on Sunday in store (which is much cheaper than I can find online) so I'm trying to make a quick decision, which is hard for me, because I am super indecisive.

Do you guys have any thoughts, coming mostly from the listening community? Most people in the recording/mixing/mastering community have suggested the monitors. My budget is around $800-$900. I don't particularly like a lot of bass, but some is nice. I like fairly clean sound, and they are going to be on a desk, maybe 1.2m apart, maybe 50cm from my head.

Thanks