Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
Pristine_Koala

Sub Build Chat

Recommended Posts

since its finally going down i wanna build a sub pretty quickly in my mini tv/theater room, room size is only 3mx5m, 60inch screen on the 3m wall with a speaker either side and a centre speaker. 

 

Im just after something thats gonna thump, was considering building a mini marty.

 

Budget would be hopefully under a grand not including the cost of an inuke. 

 

My biggest discouragement is buying the sub itself from america, so wondering what other options are out there.

 

Ie either subs that are available to use in a mini marty in Australia or other subwoofer builds that would utilize a sub from Australia that would work

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Digikey list the Peerless STW-350F as long as you're going to have a lot of power.

 

Several AV threads about that model if you Google

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 21/07/2019 at 8:15 PM, stiben said:

Digikey list the Peerless STW-350F as long as you're going to have a lot of power.

 

Several AV threads about that model if you Google

Seems to be a lot of money for a driver with fairly ordinary X-max (10.4mm) according to the datasheet on the Digikey link?

 

Edit: although x-mech appears to be around 45mm.

Edited by Sub Sonic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the input guys, was hoping there might be a cheaper option out there to build 2x 15" subs under $1000, any other known drivers or sub builds that might fit my budget and want

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


I have built multiple types of marty subs. Best bang for your buck /size etc is the martycube.

Use one of these bad boys. Get either a iNuke dsp or a minidsp and your sweet.

http://www.theloudspeakerkit.com/um18-22-18-ultimax-dvc-subwoofer-2-ohm-per-coil

Comes in well below your budget at lsk are a breeze to deal with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another option is to build a duel opposed sealed box(s?) with two of these

http://www.theloudspeakerkit.com/830669-peerless-12-woofer-sls-paper

Building 2 Gives you 4x 12" woofers (slightly more than 2 15"s) with 24mm xmax.

Cheap as chips. Heaps of headroom and the best way to spend money on diy subs, I did this for my brother (only one the poor bugger) and with a minidsp and the new behringer replacement of the iNuke have it tuned flat down to 17Hz (with a high pass and linkwitz transform) and has crazy spl in his space (probably similar to yours).

Beauty is can use a much smaller box and the opposing subs cancel vibration making great sound quality and stability if you build it right

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Wozza_Lee said:

Another option is to build a duel opposed sealed box(s?) with two of these

http://www.theloudspeakerkit.com/830669-peerless-12-woofer-sls-paper

Building 2 Gives you 4x 12" woofers (slightly more than 2 15"s) with 24mm xmax.

Cheap as chips. Heaps of headroom and the best way to spend money on diy subs, I did this for my brother (only one the poor bugger) and with a minidsp and the new behringer replacement of the iNuke have it tuned flat down to 17Hz (with a high pass and linkwitz transform) and has crazy spl in his space (probably similar to yours).

Beauty is can use a much smaller box and the opposing subs cancel vibration making great sound quality and stability if you build it right

I like this suggestion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I like this suggestion.
From memory I got the original idea of opposing sub drivers from you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


On 21/07/2019 at 7:10 PM, Pristine_Koala said:

since its finally going down i wanna build a sub pretty quickly in my mini tv/theater room, room size is only 3mx5m, 60inch screen on the 3m wall with a speaker either side and a centre speaker. 

 

Im just after something thats gonna thump, was considering building a mini marty.

 

Budget would be hopefully under a grand not including the cost of an inuke. 

 

My biggest discouragement is buying the sub itself from america, so wondering what other options are out there.

 

Ie either subs that are available to use in a mini marty in Australia or other subwoofer builds that would utilize a sub from Australia that would work

What about a BF HT FLH sub? Huge output, with very low distortion and very little power required. 

 

https://billfitzmaurice.info/THT.html

 

Yes, it's on the large side, but can you double its use for a piece of furniture? They come in 2 build sizes. small footprint tower style build with the same specs as the basic box build.

 

THTLP.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

thanks everyone for all the inputs highly appreciate it,

 

I have had the tuba ht sub plans for a while but its just way to big,

 

Even though i didnt want to have ordered two dayton woofers from the states to build two micro martys, the rooms only 3m x 4.5 m so i have a feeling that are gonna be off the hook.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24/07/2019 at 6:14 AM, Mushroom01 said:

What about a BF HT FLH sub?

Not a simple build  (x100)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


On 21/07/2019 at 7:10 PM, Pristine_Koala said:

My biggest discouragement is buying the sub itself from america

Why? It's never been an issue for the many, many drivers I've bought from the US or Europe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 23/07/2019 at 7:23 PM, Wozza_Lee said:

Another option is to build a duel opposed sealed box(s?) with two of these

http://www.theloudspeakerkit.com/830669-peerless-12-woofer-sls-paper

Building 2 Gives you 4x 12" woofers (slightly more than 2 15"s) with 24mm xmax.

Cheap as chips. Heaps of headroom and the best way to spend money on diy subs, I did this for my brother (only one the poor bugger) and with a minidsp and the new behringer replacement of the iNuke have it tuned flat down to 17Hz (with a high pass and linkwitz transform) and has crazy spl in his space (probably similar to yours).

Beauty is can use a much smaller box and the opposing subs cancel vibration making great sound quality and stability if you build it right

I missed this comment, what would the box look like? im hoping to follow something thats already been done as i didnt want to put any guess work into it. I like the idea but just not sure how to build it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 23/07/2019 at 7:15 PM, Wozza_Lee said:

I have built multiple types of marty subs. Best bang for your buck /size etc is the martycube.

Use one of these bad boys. Get either a iNuke dsp or a minidsp and your sweet.

http://www.theloudspeakerkit.com/um18-22-18-ultimax-dvc-subwoofer-2-ohm-per-coil

Comes in well below your budget at lsk are a breeze to deal with.

is the martycube the full marty? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No the martycube is the martycube.

Its a 60cm cube.

The double driver sub was a 45x45x50cm

Double cross section centre

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...