Sign in to follow this  
Grizzly

Crooked cantilever

Is it possible to straighten a cantilever with some gentle force? It doesn't appear bent but is definitely off centre. What might cause this?Screenshot_20190720-064953_Messages.jpeg

There is some asymmetry of the grey material where the cantilever exits the body. Maybe the suspension has had it.

The grey material looks to be a fabric covering the coils. I took a few more (hopefully better) shots.

There is some asymmetry of the grey material where the cantilever exits the body. Maybe the suspension has had it.
20190720_075408.jpeg20190720_075341.jpeg20190720_075515.jpeg

I would be tempted to unscrew the cover and check out what is going on inside, though your tinkering instincts may differ from mine. I see what you mean about the grey material- I don’t think it is the culprit.

Justin

Sorry to say @Grizzly but I'd say the suspension has definitely collapsed.

Unfortunately it's most likely a full rebuild or replace job going by the look of it.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Grizzly said:

The grey material looks to be a fabric covering the coils. I took a few more (hopefully better) shots.

20190720_075408.jpeg20190720_075341.jpeg20190720_075515.jpeg

Hi mate, could be too little bias applied over an extended period, or it’s taken a hit when lowering onto the start of an LP. 

Don’t try and straighten it! Re align to cantilever and check bias/anti skate.

Cheers Keith

Edited by cheekyboy

Hi mate, could be too much bias applied over an extended period, or it’s taken a hit when lowering onto the start of an LP. 

Cheers Keith
It's an integral cartridge and armwand so no adjustment can be made unfortunately

4 minutes ago, Grizzly said:
15 minutes ago, cheekyboy said:
Hi mate, could be too much bias applied over an extended period, or it’s taken a hit when lowering onto the start of an LP. 

Cheers Keith

It's an integral cartridge and armwand so no adjustment can be made unfortunately

Can you source a replacement cart for it mate?

16 minutes ago, cheekyboy said:

If by "Re align to cantilever " ... you mean twist the cart in the headshell so that the (crooked) cantilever is once again tangential to the grooves ... this doesn't sound like a complete fix, to me, Keith.  :no:

Sure, the stylus may well be positioned correctly in the groove - but the other end of the cantilever will not be in its correct position, relative to the coils/magnets.  So the channel balance will be affected.

Andy

17 minutes ago, andyr said:

If by "Re align to cantilever " ... you mean twist the cart in the headshell so that the (crooked) cantilever is once again tangential to the grooves ... this doesn't sound like a complete fix, to me, Keith.  :no:

Sure, the stylus may well be positioned correctly in the groove - but the other end of the cantilever will not be in its correct position, relative to the coils/magnets.  So the channel balance will be affected.

Andy

Hello Andy, re alilgnment would be very small, but having looked closer at the whole set up, I think that a replacement cart would be the best bet, if one is available still. All better than a broken cantilever.:thumb:

Cheers,

Keith

@Grizzly Would be nice to see it tracking something mate. I think the antiskate could of caused this problem.

[mention=106714]Grizzly[/mention] Would be nice to see it tracking something mate. I think the antiskate could of caused this problem.
Antiskate would have pulled it the opposite way, once it's actually in the groove it's closer to centre, but still off a little.

[mention=106714]Grizzly[/mention] Would be nice to see it tracking something mate. I think the antiskate could of caused this problem.
Much better in the groove, and sounds great. Huge bass!20190720_113252.jpeg

From the last post, I'd skew the anti-skate to the opposite of what it is now. 

This could re-align the cantilever over time. Worked for me on a Goldring MM but it wasn't nearly as off as yours.

Otherwise, possibly the dampener is shot, so needs a professional repair.  But if it plays  as it does now...

From the last post, I'd skew the anti-skate to the opposite of what it is now. 

This could re-align the cantilever over time. Worked for me on a Goldring MM but it wasn't nearly as off as yours.

Otherwise, possibly the dampener is shot, so needs a professional repair.  But if it plays  as it does now...
That thought crossed my mind, and I did try it with antiskate cranked to 11 (as it were) but it wasn't straight even then, and I figured we were getting significantly greater wear on one channel that way. Maybe I'm mistaken?