Sign in to follow this  
mjs

75” or greater - Sony Z9F or X9500G or what

Cheers, my current TV does same with my marantz receiver, annoying but livable. 

Do you notice any drag or digital blur on fast scenes etc? 

In a dark room and in a dark scene how does it cope? 

I am very happy with the 85X9500G. I think it has more natural colour than the Samsung, although you should be able to calibrate picture quality on either set within an inch of its life.

No complaints from me with the Sony though, loving the size of the 85”, it’s the first time I don’t mind letter box movies as the panel is big enough to still give you a big picture. Good quality HD and 4K stuff is just excellent. Very happy camper here. 

Is there a decent step up from 8500 to 9500.  Just wondering if the extra $$ is worth it or is the difference more year model

The step up is Full Array Local Dimming (FALD). Definitely worth it IMHO, especially for screen sizes above 65" when watching movies.   FALD combined with the wider colour gamut and greater peak brightness of the higher end models will give HDR movies greater pop and is better for watching in a dark room.

The Sony 9500G and the Samsung Q75R have a limited number of dimming zones but very good local dimming algorithms.  If you are not so much of a movie buff and just watch general TV, sports etc then go with the edge lit 8500G or Q60R.  Screen uniformity, contrast and brightness will still be pretty decent on these models.

Happy hunting.  

Thank You.  Thinking about our usage now it would be a 60/40 split

60% TV as in Foxtel (alot of sport), Netflix, Free to Air

40% Movies which would be BluRay and 4k discs played through Oppo 205.  Rarely watch movies through Foxtel but a couple through Netflix do get watched.

Just a further comment - the smaller sizes in the Sony 8500G will likely utilise an IPS panel.   IPS panel technology is very good if a wide viewing angle is a priority due to seating arrangements.   But this comes with a significant drop in contrast. 

I purchased an LG LCD TV with an IPS panel several years ago and it was hopeless in dark scenes, particularly with movies.   If wide angle viewing is a priority then go with an IPS panel, however if this is not an issue, then avoid LG, Panasonic and lower end Sony LCD televisions.  

Samsung, Hisense, TCL and high end Sony and Panasonic LCD LEDs use VA panels which produce superior contrast with poor viewing angles.  Swings and roundabouts but its VA panels for me every time. 

thank you for the information thus far.  I dont really know too much about TV etc.  Was considering projector but as the room can get lots of sun through the day I didn't want a wall mounted tv and drop down screen situation - the 85" TV will be a good balance i think.  It will give up a bit of screen size but also gain WAF and usability in all conditions which wins in the end.

Our sitting positions are front and centre to TV, no side viewing at all so.  We sit roughly just short of 3m from the screen at 90deg to the screen on 3 individual recliners.

Our room is about 5.5m front to back in the viewing direction. It’s longer in the other direction. The main seating position is about 4m from the panel. Over the years (15 or so) we have had two 50” plasmas and one 65” plasma. They have been good, but not quite big enough really. The 85” Sony is just perfect for this viewing geometry.

Hi Everyone,

I was after some advice on a potential issue with my Sony KD75X9000E TV.  I have only just gotten around to buying a UHD player and a few UHD disks after owning the TV for just over 1 year.  When watching my first UHD disk today, Blue Planet II, I noticed some faint horizontal lines across the screen.  They were pretty obvious in the screens when solid colours like ice scenes were playing. 

I haven't really noticed it on Blu-rays only the UHD. 

Any ideas on the cause?  HDMI cable (an EzyHD about 4 years old), TV settings, faulty screen, ??

Here is a pic, sorry about the quality, but it was difficult the photograph.

Are there any recommended settings for UHD?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

Lines.jpg

1 hour ago, Dogbert said:

I don't know yet it is only 18 months old so out of warranty

Standard warranty under consumer rights dictate Sony must replace the TV if they cannot repair it.    18 months is not considered normal defect free period for large expensive tv's.

Edited by metal beat

So i went into JB today, the 8500G is on sale for $4295, thats $1200 less than it was 10 days ago when I went in to have another look. The 9500G is at $5995 thats about $1500 cheaper.

Not sure I can justify the $1700 price difference with $4295 being a very inviting price, but then again, two weeks ago I was happy to spend about $5300 on the 8500G LOL

In any case, amazing prices.

They also had a TCL which looked ok, but the 86" LG had the goods on the TCL.  I actually really like the picture on the LG tbh, its nice picture.

I've just stumbled accross this on the costco site also.   Samsung 85" Model  QN85Q7DRAFXZA

These sales pretty much all end in the next 24/48hrs but happy to proceed on one of them - ideally the one with the best or most current technology and picture clarity.  Mixed usage, movies and sports mostly.  Would like to have Kayo app built in too, not keen on spending thousands then having to run Testra TV or other to stream Kayo.  Netflix and Stan pretty std from what i can tell.

Edited by 08Boss302

If it were me, purely based on picture of quality, I would go for the Sony 75 inch 9500G preferably, otherwise the 8500G!

Thanks mate, I'm actually switching from a 75, and thus am keen to go bigger.

Moving the 75 into another room and putting the 85 in my man cave room is the plan... 

I think I'm pretty set to pull the trigger on the 85" 9500G 

Talking with the home treasurer tonight on the 'benefit' of the upgrade which will benefit two rooms, but not sure if parliament is totally convinced yet 😅

Take it from an 85X9500G owner, go for it [emoji1787][emoji106]

The 9500G is definitely the wawagoyu to go based on all of theme reviews on the internet...it has better black levels over the 8500G.

Let us know how you go if you get the 9500G!! Enjoy 😉

....update. Bought it 😀

Gotta wait approx 2 weeks for Sony to get stock in as they're sold out nationally.  Still had to pay in full though LOL.

Kinda works out ok as we have a few things on this long weekend so would not have enjoyed it anyway.

Once it arrives and I've placed it i'll chime back in with a movie or two and some sports having gone through it!

Great stuff 👍  Looking forward to your impressions when you get it!

On 27/10/2019 at 5:31 PM, metal beat said:

Standard warranty under consumer rights dictate Sony must replace the TV if they cannot repair it.    18 months is not considered normal defect free period for large expensive tv's.

Agree

Off topic I realise but a couple of things as I deal with these sort of issues regularly

Statutory Warranty (as opposed to Manufacturers warranty) in basic terms dictates that an item must do what it is supposed to do for what would expected to be a reasonable period.  To some extent the price you pay/brand comes into it.  Simply in this case noone expects when they buy a quality brand TV paying good dollars for it that they will have to replace it 2 years later. 

2ndly your contract of sale is with the store you purchased it from and they are not supposed to fob you off to the manufacturer for a solution - the store may opt for the item to be repaired however only if this can be done in a reasonable time frame. If it can't be repaired they have to replace it and your warranty on the repalcement constatutes a new warranty - Statutory warranty is why I never pay for an extended warranty - why pay for what  your entitled to by law.  

As an example I had a radiator with a 12 month 20,000km warranty put in my car and had it replaced at no cost when it split at 32,000km after 19 months

@Dogbert

Any issues with getting a repair or replacement under statutory warranty feel free to PM me

Thanks @hometheatrebugbitten.

I went back to the place of purchase and they said that I should have purchased their extended warranty with the TV but logged the report with Sony.  The local repairer contacted me and after I sent a picture of the issue and said that it was unrepairable and new panel was required.  I thought this meant a whole new TV but no, they are going to replace the panel.  It can hopefully be done at home so it does not need to be taken back to the workshop.

They have confirmed no cost to me if their inspection confirms that it wasn't subject to abuse.

No word on when the replacement panel will arrive.  Luckily it is still watchable or I would have riot on my hands from kids with TV withdrawal. 

Hopefully my Kuro plasma in storage is still working in case of emergency!

I’m looking at getting the Sony 9500G 85’ for my parents home theater. Wondering if anyone knows if I got a Sony STR DN1080, would the single remote work for the TV and AVR? If not I can get a Harmony remote

Edited by Dbuns

There is a feature called Bravia Sync, which may allow control of both devices by one remote. I’m not sure, certainly the remote for my 85X9500G doesn’t have any direct AVR functionality. The AVR remote may though. Have a look here:

https://helpguide.sony.net/ha/strdh77/v1/en/contents/TP0001043089.html

i assume though, as the panel will be in a home theatre situation that there will be more inputs than terrestrial TV. Otherwise, you’re not really taking full advantage of the quality of the TV. Which almost certainly means more remotes for other devices (Blu ray, Foxtel iQ4, Apple TV4K, Netflix etc) unless you go down the Harmony or similar route

Edited by mjs

As an update, my panel was replaced today at no charge.  So back up and running, I can't fault the service.

Only one tech came around so I was needed to help lift the panel.