75” or greater - Sony Z9F or X9500G or what

On 08/08/2019 at 11:37 PM, mjs said:

Now, why would I wan5 to do that? I don’t akways watch letterbox content. Besides, I don’t have a problem with the letterbox bars

Guaranteed absolute Black where the letter box bars are on the reason.

It was only a suggestion  as a very quick and easily, applied / removed again, addition, I made the same sort of thing for my drop down PJ screen.

Having that absolute dead Black around a picture really makes the picture punch out, especially if it's low light intensity scene you are viewing at the time, your contrast just appears that much greater.......I'm suspecting if one were to add bias lighting behind the screen,combined with this masking, that would amplify the effect even more.

My TV screen is only 65", plus I run it in a light controlled environment, so although I'd get a improvement if I did this for my TV, I doubt it would be as noticeable as if you were to do it on your TV, if only because your Black Bands when watching letter-boxed content is a larger area.

Edited by Tweaky

1 hour ago, Tweaky said:

Guaranteed absolute Black where the letter box bars are on the reason.

It was only a suggestion  as a very quick and easily, applied / removed again, addition, I made the same sort of thing for my drop down PJ screen.

Having that absolute dead Black around a picture really makes the picture punch out, especially if it's low light intensity scene you are viewing at the time, your contrast just appears that much greater.......I'm suspecting if one were to add bias lighting behind the screen,combined with this masking, that would amplify the effect even more.

My TV screen is only 65", plus I run it in a light controlled environment, so although I'd get a improvement if I did this for my TV, I doubt it would be as noticeable as if you were to do it on your TV, if only because your Black Bands when watching letter-boxed content is a larger area.

Each to his own I guess. For me, I don't want panels of cardboard and velveteen hanging off what is a sleek looking tv. Besides, as I said, most viewing is full screen, not letter-boxed, so I'm not interested in putting up and taking off some black panels. Again, I suggest that I haven't noticed any bleeding or blooming into the letterbox bars, so I don't feel the need to cover up any parts that don't form part of the picture, nor for that matter are they grey or less than black in any way.

Perhaps we should each enjoy our own setups! 

On 08/08/2019 at 11:04 PM, Tweaky said:

With a 85" screen it might even be worth making your own very simple variable masking system.

All it would take would be some lengths of stiff cardboard, with the width to MAX of your most tightly letterbox aspect ratio, with some Black Velveteen glued/stapled/taped to the cardboard.

Then just use some Blutak to hold the mask across the Black Bars on the TV, then you are sure they are going to be Black.......the Velveteen wrap cardboard should have a small enough weight to it so Blutack shouldn't have a problem holding it to the TV's edges.

I suppose y could always make the masking strips longer, and attach Velcros to the ends, wrap the ends around the side of the TV, then glue some opposing Velcros to the rear of the TV, then it's a matter of just placing on or off.

With my Benq W11000 DLP projector this was pretty important and made 2.35 material so much better as it had low native contrast. I just had a roller blind that I could roll down to any height and used software on HTPC to drop the picture always to the bottom of the screen so I only needed to cover the top of the screen. 

I definitely wouldn't go through the hassle of having two bits on the bottom and top of a TV screen unless maybe it sat on the back wall. I had a look at an 85" 85g today and saw the issue of grey black bars even under Harvey Norman Lighting. I am used to an Oled though.

It might sound like a hassle, or even as I assume it's been oddly construed by the comments above, as a possibly unsightly 'Hair Shirt ' of a design by those that read it, but in reality it's neither.

It's just a very simple, and very neat and effective way to get a perceived better picture for letter-boxed movie watching from any screen, at very little cost.

Like any DIY design, the care in the detail in the concepts implementation makes all the difference.

Please, keep a open mind, and don't deride it if your not prepared to at least try it, you'd be surprised by the results if you did.

I Agree... If i bought an 85g 85inch I would make the player move the picture to the bottom and always mask the top. It seems the 85" 95g could probably be bought for under $6k now with Harvey Normans advertised price being $6495 so I would pay the extra and get the FALD model.

Edited by Gbickle

• 3 weeks later...

Can't seem to find the Sony 85X9500G in any of the stores in Perth at the moment. JB reckons it should be out soon but priced around $10k. 

Anyone have better pricing at the moment in Perth?

Edited by GTA007
include area

HN list the KD85X9500G (also known as X95G) for $6495 with a bonus 12mth Kayo subscription. Website says pricing ends on Sat 31/8. It is somewhat of a price drop from when I bought mine in July [emoji2957] website implies availability, but not sure about Perth. It does say delivery Aust-wide. Go for it!

On 12/08/2019 at 8:36 PM, Tweaky said:

It might sound like a hassle, or even as I assume it's been oddly construed by the comments above, as a possibly unsightly 'Hair Shirt ' of a design by those that read it, but in reality it's neither.

It's just a very simple, and very neat and effective way to get a perceived better picture for letter-boxed movie watching from any screen, at very little cost.

Like any DIY design, the care in the detail in the concepts implementation makes all the difference.

Please, keep a open mind, and don't deride it if your not prepared to at least try it, you'd be surprised by the results if you did.

That would be a good choice.. I'm happy with my Z9D but I've always pined for a few extra inches... 

On 01/09/2019 at 8:47 AM, mjs said:

Yes, It's a great set. Perhaps one or two minor niggles, but overall, very happy as well. Also got a soundbar for mine.

Just wondering what your niggles were?

I am using an Onkyo TX-NR686 AV receiver and sometimes when I turn on the TV , no noise comes through. Virtually have to turn Off and then On and it will be ok.

Also noticed the TV doesn’t remember the last channel that it was on. Goes to Home each time?

Fantastic- I was thinking about doing that too and wasn’t sure if the IQ4 was a big improvement over the IQ3?

I am still trying to work out why the TV keeps switching back to TV Speakers even though I have set it to Audio System to run through my Onkyo AV receiver. Sony support wasn’t much help. I have audio using an optical cable but will try setting it up with HDMI arc. First time it didn’t work but I shall try it again.

Foxtel etc is fine but when watching free to air TV, it defaults to TV speakers......,

Fantastic- I was thinking about doing that too and wasn’t sure if the IQ4 was a big improvement over the IQ3?

I am still trying to work out why the TV keeps switching back to TV Speakers even though I have set it to Audio System to run through my Onkyo AV receiver. Sony support wasn’t much help. I have audio using an optical cable but will try setting it up with HDMI arc. First time it didn’t work but I shall try it again.

Foxtel etc is fine but when watching free to air TV, it defaults to TV speakers......,

Just fyi, I have tv audio out via HDMI eARC to a Sony Soundbar which works well, which has Dolby Atmos capability, not bad for a soundbar. Also have optical out from the tv to an ageing Rotel 5.1 receiver (no Dolby Atmos, DTS:X capability etc), but it works well enough in 5.1 Dolby something or other.

The other minor irk, is that I had spdif digital out via rca from the iQ3 to my receiver, albeit that I didn’t use it that much. The iQ4 only has optical out, which I could use, but haven’t been bothered enough to shift all the cabinetry to implement. Just sticking with tv optical out to the receiver

On 10/09/2019 at 7:55 PM, GTA007 said:

I had a similar sort of problem with my Panasonic TV.

It turns out that a lot of modern TV's have what's called a 'Showroom Mode', it's so the TV can be on show in a store and customers can fiddle with the settings, and instead of the sales staff having to zero everything back each time, they just need to turn the TV off and On again, and everything is reset.

Have a look in your TV's manual under initial setup, you might find a similar 'Showroom Mode' that is the default, and you need to change it to the one where your settings are saved, each manufacturer names these things differently.

Another reason for the problem you might want to check is if you need to save each HDMI input separately, if you do, and you haven't been doing this that might be the problem.

Modern TV's are great, but you get so many options in the various menus now days it can drive you nuts until you learn what does what, and why things aren't working they way you want them to

Thanks. The retail mode is disabled and I think it is just a handshake glitch. It just means I need to turn it off and then on again for the audio system to kick. Not a big deal but hopefully a firmware update by Sony somewhere down the track can fix it ...   

• 1 month later...

@mjs, @GTA007

Wondering how the 9500g model is going for you guys

Seriously considering the 8500g or 9500g 85" but not dismissing the Samsung q75 or q60 85" inch and even the LG 86"

I went in and viewed the Sony 8500g, the Samsung q60 and the LG.  They were all very very good to my eyes, maybe the Samsung looked more vivid with the Sony being more natural but that might have come down to the store demo on the tvs. 

I'm probably ever so slightly leaning to the Sony at this stage 

Have your experience with the Sony been positive now you've had it at home and hooked it up to Internet, foxtel, home theatre etc? 

Edited by 08Boss302
Updated post

Very happy with the X9500G 85 inch. Picture is good and only minor niggly issues. I use it via an Onkyo AV receiver but when first switching it on and viewing TV, it sometimes defaults to the TV speakers. I have to turn off the TV and back on and then it switches to the Audio System. 

• Like 1