Only one music Source to play

Lets turn this one source thing into a Poll  

44 members have voted

1. 1. One Source of music for you HiFi system

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 31/07/19 at 12:20 AM

I cannot choose because:

1. Vinyl is for my listening pleasure ( so it really is number one)

However.

2.  Spotify is for music discovery and saving me from spending $40+ on an LP that I hate.

AND

3. CDs are a back up for when I am busy doing other stuff and not sitting down to listen and discs are so damn cheap.

Edited by rantan

7 minutes ago, rantan said:

I cannot choose because:

1. Vinyl is for my listening pleasure ( so it really is number one)

However.

2.  Spotify is for music discovery and saving me from spending $40+ on an LP that I hate.

AND

3. CDs are a back up for when I am busy doing other stuff and not sitting down to listen and discs are so damn cheap.

But in this thread you have to choose just one and only one, to late for you so over to the Poll with you, make a decision otherwise you'll have the Cops knocking on your door

Edited by The Bluesman
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, The Bluesman said:

Come on HiFi Heads and music lovers, we need votes in this Poll as we have Streaming and CDs just ahead of Vinyl, this has turned into a Drag Race to the finish, Classic vs digital, end of the day though it's all fun and all about the music AND the Source of it

Aah, but is one's answer:

1. 'X' is #1 because that is what I listen to for most hours during a week?
  2. or 'Y' is #1 because when I sit down to listen to music ... that is what I listen to?

Andy

7 minutes ago, andyr said:

Aah, but is one's answer:

1. 'X' is #1 because that is what I listen to for most hours during a week?
  2. or 'Y' is #1 because when I sit down to listen to music ... that is what I listen to?

Andy

Yes but if X was Y, you can choose one I'm sure

Guest Simonon

If they were cheap and 7.5ips tapes readily available I would go reel to reel tape. I just love the sound and challenge of keeping them going. Done well and on a good machine it is unbeatable. ca2ff81089364f33802f136500147734.jpg3d27325211aa8af7779653b8b9f9eb9c.jpg

2 minutes ago, Simonon said:

If they were cheap and 7.5ips tapes readily available I would go reel to reel tape. I just love the sound and challenge of keeping them going. Done well and on a good machine it is unbeatable. ca2ff81089364f33802f136500147734.jpg3d27325211aa8af7779653b8b9f9eb9c.jpg

Nice mate and agreed, have you voted Tape, I miss those days for sure

Just now, The Bluesman said:

Yes but if X was Y, you can choose one I'm sure

The real question is that why should one restrict oneself from discovering a more comprehensive range of music?

You simply cannot own every LP that is out there and it really is great when you first play that fantastic new shiny vinyl album on your TT, because you found it on a streaming service. As strange as it may seem, it is a symbiotic relationship and actually enhances ownership of physical media ( which I love )

Subscription music services are merely a means-to-an-end for me and I would never abandon physical media.

2 minutes ago, rantan said:

The real question is that why should one restrict oneself from discovering a more comprehensive range of music?

You simply cannot own every LP that is out there and it really is great when you first play that fantastic new shiny vinyl album on your TT, because you found it on a streaming service. As strange as it may seem, it is a symbiotic relationship and actually enhances ownership of physical media ( which I love )

Subscription music services are merely a means-to-an-end for me and I would never abandon physical media.

But the Question is if you could only have one AND only one what would it be, you can only choose one regardless in this thread, go on you can do it

18 minutes ago, The Bluesman said:

But the Question is if you could only have one AND only one what would it be, you can only choose one regardless in this thread, go on you can do it

No I can't - because I listen to the radio (ie. background), say, 80 hours a week ... but I only listen seriously (to vinyl) 3 hours a week.

Andy

1 minute ago, andyr said:

No I can't - because I listen to the radio (ie. background), say, 80 hours a week ... but I only listen seriously (to vinyl) 3 hours a week.

Andy

Well inside this thread you simply have to Cull one of those sources, you can discreetly by simply just voting in the poll

• Like 2

I really love my combination of CDP and Node 2i streamer, but if I had to pick one I would have no hesitation at all in picking the smart streamer as my one source, and I’d have to pick one source for the one source would be Tidal. 

I have found many people quite shocked at just how good Tidal can sound when streamed through good system, it is only just behind CD in terms of quality, however much, much cheaper to get sounding great.  My Node 2i and DAC combo half the price of my CDP and 90% as good.

So it’s an internet streamer for me, if I’m forced to pick one.

Edited by POV

8 hours ago, POV said:

I really love my combination of CDP and Node 2i streamer, but if I had to pick one I would have no hesitation at all in picking the smart streamer as my one source, and I’d have to pick one source for the one source would be Tidal. 

I have found many people quite shocked at just how good Tidal can sound when streamed through good system, it is only just behind CD in terms of quality, however much, much cheaper to get sounding great.  My Node 2i and DAC combo half the price of my CDP and 90% as good.

So it’s an internet streamer for me, if I’m forced to pick one.

I've just done some research on the Node 2 streamer and it sounds like a good one and the way to go, I use the Cambridge CXN V1 and have been very happy with that, just wish it was Roon ready, wow for the money the Node is very tempting

Anyway back to this thread, I'm a Bluesman so Vinyl is for me and what I voted for, old school and cool

Without reading all above one source not mentioned but loosely falls under the computer heading is “Music Server”.  My example and the one I use is a Pi. Yes it is a general computer but not in the sense of a laptop or desktop. Far superior in performance and sound quality being a dedicated device and in my case coupled via USB to a high performance DIY DAC.

Back to the original question. If I could only have one source it would be my Pi music server. Though I can play all CD based music, vinyl and stream and do all in quick rotation my music server gets the most air time. 99% of the file based music is coming from a local hard drive attached to the Pi.  

Edited by mwhouston

Never got into vinyl, my sources have always been digital and now it is streaming Tidal via USB to dac with all the message massagers in that chain. Perfectly happy with SQ  but look forward to technical improvements down the track although in no hurry for them to arrive. Only issue is  Tidal is a bit limited in scope . So STREAMING it is.

• Like 1