Sign in to follow this  
Addicted to music

Slow upload speed FTTC

Posted (edited)

I’m gonna have a whinge 😝

My upload speed had dropped by 1/2!

checked it with 2 devices and the Orbi has the facility to do a speed test. 

Rang ABB,  was caller 43 there About...

Waited 35mins to get a human on the other line who asked me to log onto the ABB website and do a speed test, did that on both the iPhone and iPad.....same result....  Then he gets me to do a physical Ethernet connection......told him I have a modem that has the facility to do a Speedtest on its own. And guess what, same result, the download is sitting 94-96Mbps and the upload under 20Mbps.   But he insists, so I get works Dell laptop out because the MacBook Pro only has wifi and no Ethernet!!!!   I can’t even log onto the ABB speed test site because the bloody thing is restricted!!!!   So he gets me to connect directly to the NBN box by enabling a setting and there you have it, still can’t connect to the ABB speed test site, bloody work restrictions, can’t even do betting and the other adult stuff.....  so I downloaded Speedtest and guess what, the same speeds, by this time the mobile phone drops out or I get hung up!  I then receive a SMS saying a case number has been initiated, that’s it!   In the meantime I disconnect the Dell laptop and hook the Orbi back up.  Would you believe that NOW there is no connection,  this person who helped me forgot to change the settings to enable the router to be used!  So here we go again, by this time it was 8:50pm and I’m now caller 40!!!!!    Waited till about 9:25 pm on the phone, finally go the operator to reset the setting so my Orbi router can work!  Almost 2 and 1/2 hours dicking around to report a fault!    This morning, I emailed them to ask what’s happening?  I get a reply, 24-48hr reply, and that doesn’t necessarily means the issue is fix!  

Lets st see how long it takes from yesterday to rectify this issue... 

6609122D-8748-4989-91CD-E9508528DC85.jpeg

0D18D20D-4730-48F0-A578-21069A8D0F59.png

01E062BD-FFE0-49A2-8122-BFC43D761257.png

Edited by Addicted to music

Hi,

Well you are fortunate to get those speeds, I have FTTN and the best I can get is 22.4 to 23.6, was on a 50 Mbps plan but they couldn't / wouldn't improve things, changed operator and still have the same speed on a 25Mbps plan for $20 a month less.

What a total Government Phuck Up when it should be optical fibre all the way.

JJ

Got in contact with ABB. Just now to see where they are at.  Not happy!

We did several tests and on every device even connected to the FTTC box one ABB assistant says that the raised issue would be highly rejected ny the nbn.  This is what he said:

Anthony W 20:28
The 100/40 Advertised maximum speed is a maximum speed. Sadly we don't guarantee this as the average speed nor minimum speed. Some people can reach 100/30 some people can reach 100/10 and some people are even lower then that. The minimum specification on a FTTC connection is 25/5 so as its achieving above this NBN may reject the fault. I am happy to attempt to raise it to them however.

This is after I brought up the the specs for the nbn is 100/40.  I paid for 100/40 not 100/20.   

Really not not happy if that’s the case,  also got told several times the usual for telcos is that if they find nothing wrong then it’s a $250 call out!  

Without checking the telecommunications ombudsmans site and if i recall correctly, this category of complaint is among their most common and they have advice about it.

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, ThirdDrawerDown said:

Without checking the telecommunications ombudsmans site and if i recall correctly, this category of complaint is among their most common and they have advice about it.

Too early for that

.  That Anthony on the chat line with ABB making those comments isn’t with the times....  Or just has an attitude to turn people away... etc  if I was the manager at ABB and did a call centre test to see how my staff handles complaint, I’d be reviewing his position, those comments are uncalled for because the nbn isn’t like copper tech that degrades with distance.  If you go into the nbn website,  FTTC is guaranteed 100/40,  you’ll never exactly get this due to certain circumstances but   The copper that runs from the  DPU to you premises should be no more than 100m   I could be wrong so don’t quote me on it and I stand corrected.... FTTC has been tested to 200m at those speed.  So there is no reason why I can’t get those speeds.....  the same goes for FTTP!  And with FTTP it should be even closer!  

i get an email after my last post from ABB help centre demanding I do a speed test using an Ethernet connection with a computer that works. So I email them pics of all the attempts made with the initial team member at ABB.    While on the phone to this guy,  I asked him to check the emails with my case, now this person was more like it,  customer friendly and open,  I said to him that I found an old MacBook with Ethernet and if he wants he can set me up on his end so I can connect directly with the nbn box,  no need he says,  at this stage he’s seen enough cases of slow upload speed now getting reported, it’s seems like it’s occured during the last FW upgrade that the nbn did, it’s all happening to premises that’s connected with a box, mainly FTTC and FTTP, no reports from FTTN....      This must be the next level up the help desk chain to be able to hear that comment, so I’m glad that I’m not the only one.  A case has now been logged with the nbn, and I get a case number....  great!  I hope I wasn’t the only one and getting charge $250.  A sigh of relief to here those comments...  He’s also added all the pics to show the nbn the issue,   The pics are shown using a work laptop, you can see that the restriction on the search when I access the speed test on ABB site, you can see that using the Speedtest app what it shows while wifi is disconnected.  You can also see with the MacBook that the same test shows exactly that speed with the wifi disabled.  Note  the time on both laptops.  I had to do this 3 times as per requested by the 1st ABB help person.  Also note that the wifi on both Laptops the wifi was been disconnected.

7CD2308C-C2E6-40D1-8FB3-5F2FE2652047.jpeg

65C0C85D-53C1-4F64-9B4B-402DDF54347E.jpeg

DF6E8FB8-5589-49A2-B196-F2A3673A4CDF.jpeg

0F50CC5E-7145-4EA9-BBAB-CC67553817C5.jpeg

5C09FB08-FAE5-4199-A541-6DC4D5869912.jpeg

3800BFB5-96F0-47BF-A978-E2C3ED8E442D.jpeg

CB1B3A49-DC4F-4D23-99F8-DED37E25A2FB.jpeg

Here the ABB app that’s loaded on the iPhone.  Note that it registers the Speedtest every time I do it on the ABB website, and gets recorded on the app. 

E4A1E366-BDDA-4A7A-A3AD-F44DF86C5ABC.jpeg

Hey what I like is when you have spent 4 useless hours chatting to India or the Philippines, full well knowing they are reading from a script and have zero comprehension of the problem, at the end of that wasted time and achieving nothing but informing them of your birthday,  you get....."Thank you for your patience, is there anything else I can help you with today ?" !!

>:(

Posted (edited)

Had to follow it up today as there was no reply.

So here’s the bad news.   

ABB says that the nbn minimum infrastructure is operating correctly and better than the minimum  speed!  Cannot be resolved, so I have to live with it.  

So now I get on the websites and would you believe all the ISP I’ve search for including Telstra, none will advertised the upload speed!   Very coincidental!

what do you think I should do? Now go to the telecommunication ombudsman?

Posted (edited)

Fixed........

TIO emailed me a reply to say they have confirmed the complaint and have forward it onto ABB today and have set a date early in August to be resolved.

On the same day in the evening 27/7/2019 18:42, I did a speed test to see if there was a change....at that time same result.   After this test while getting dinner on the table I hear the NCD relays clicking, the Orbi indicated with a red light ( no internet connection) so I waited until the NCD reinitialised where all 4 LEDs  are lit, the Orbi red light goes out and I do another speed test....   this time, at speed at 18:48,  six minutes after the 1st test.   

The lesson to be learnt here is don’t put up with the BS script they throw at you, which is “the nbn is performing better than min speed”.  BS is what I have to say.  FTTC is only around the 100mtrs away to the DPU, from there only up to 4 premises are connected and from the DPU its fibre optics all the way,  so if you are getting much lower speeds than what you pay for, stand your ground!   When it comes to Customer Support ABB are no different to any other ISP, you can spend hours, days like I have to get back on track.   You can see all this happening from the history of the  this thread started and the logged history from the Speedtest 

D0040477-C11C-43A8-AC25-181BA90134FD.jpeg

@Addicted to musicDo you know if you ping is normally 9ms? .... or is it usually lower?

Turn ALL devices off in the house (phones, laptops, computers, etc. etc.) .... and then test again.