Sign in to follow this  
Alpine Electrocats

Nikkor lenses

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, hired goon said:

I'd recommend the Nikkor 50/1.8 lens for about 95% of users. It's cheap and produces quality images.

I have the Nikkor 50/1.4 lens, but just upgraded to the Sigma 50/1.4 Art lens. Now that's sharp! But again ... 95% of users wouldn't want to pay that kind of premium for that little bit extra.

--Geoff 

Some of those Sigma lenses will wipe the floor with the Nikon equivalents and are a lot cheaper,  in terms of sharpness,  especially between F4-F8, the only advantage of most Nikon is that it measures consistent  from the lowest-highest F stop.      

Ive tried the Nikkor 85mm 1.8. AF with the F90...  To me this is the most transparent lens I’ve ever owned!     My son has a Canon 85mm 1.4     To me 85mm on both Nikon and Canon are just awesomely transparent,  there must be something about this focal length that manufacturers seem to get right.   I also have a 60mm 1.8 macro, but this isn’t as good as the 85mm 1.8.

The most used lens for everyday was a 35-70mm 2.8.   Today’s equivalent would be 28-80mm or 24-80mm haven’t look but it be there...      

if you’re gonna get a Nikon camera,  ditched the bottom of the range junk that’s marked Nikon they throw in as a teaser, if you can afford it..  go for the stuff that’s F2.8. You pay a lot more but you’d be rewarded.  

Not sure about the latest range but the Canon professional stuff that’s F2.8 and better all have waterproof seals,  this also protects from dusty environments so take that into consideration when purchasing.

Edited by Addicted to music

1 hour ago, anandpkumar said:

Don't go by the pixel count - a 12MP vs 14MP makes no difference for the average consumer. Unless you are a professional photographer printing large posters, the mega-pixel race is not worth getting into. I've been using a 10 MP DSLR for the past 11 years, and I think I am still limited by my abilities than that of the camera!

The D300 is part of Nikon's semi-professional series, where as the D3XXX/D5XXX/D7XXX are part of the consumer series. The D300 or D700 (if you are interested if full frames) are much more robustly build and can take more abuse - which is a good criteria to consider if you are buying used. 

If you are a casual user, then the D5XXX or D7XXX series may be all that you want if you are upgrading. 

Most serious photographers will tell you to just get a decent camera body, and invest in good quality lens. We are most often limited by our own abilities than that of the equipment!

This is solid advice. Don't worry about the pixel count. Your existing 50mm lens is probably fine with a more prosumer/pro body. Hell, i still shoot with a D90 most of the time, and only just moved along a D70s (did what I needed well). You'll take good photos with most of them most of the time.

The Nikkor f1.4 is an awesome lens (and it will work 100% with your camera) but your existing f1.8... I've had the f1.4 and I took photos just as good with the f1.8...  more my limitations I guess. But the f1.8's are really really good. 

1 hour ago, rmpfyf said:

Hell, i still shoot with a D90 most of the time, and only just moved along a D70s (did what I needed well). You'll take good photos with most of them most of the time.

Those are still really good cameras. I use a D80 - 11 years old and still going strong. Paired with the 50mm 1.8, I get phenomenal pictures. If I upgrade, might go for a used D300 or D700 - both available used for a fraction of their original RRP.

Love the bokeh that you get from the 50mm 1.4 - better than what you get from the 1.8, but not worth the price difference in my opinion.

Going OT a little but I started with a D90 and a D5100, traded both of those for a D7100 and the improvement was dramatic, then to a D750 and a big jump again.  I had a D3100 for a little while and whilst it was competent it wasn't a patch on the D7100 or even my son's D7000.   

OP, Second hand lenses are variable depending on where you buy them. I bought a couple of vintage lenses off fleabay. 

The Japanese sellers were usually great to deal with and items as described. 

I got some lenses serviced by Sydney Camera Repairs in Ashfield. The owner has a lot of second hand lenses for sale.

You (or other SNA members looking for lenses) may want to check with them via

info@sydneycamerarepairs.com.au

KEH, Adorama, B&H if you want to go some of the overseas majors - used with warranty. All great to shop at.

Going OT a little but I started with a D90 and a D5100, traded both of those for a D7100 and the improvement was dramatic, then to a D750 and a big jump again.  I had a D3100 for a little while and whilst it was competent it wasn't a patch on the D7100 or even my son's D7000.   

How do you rate your current ones for ease of operation, particularly in accessing the menu functions?
I had a bit of a look at the 7000’s last year and liked their price for a full format machine

12 hours ago, Alpine Electrocats said:

How do you rate your current ones for ease of operation, particularly in accessing the menu functions?
I had a bit of a look at the 7000’s last year and liked their price for a full format machine

AFAIK, the Nikon D7xxx series is a DX format camera and not FX format (Assume you meant full frame).

14 hours ago, rmpfyf said:

KEH, Adorama, B&H if you want to go some of the overseas majors - used with warranty. All great to shop at.

Have bought from Adorama and B&H and can recommend both of these. 

KEH is also very popular for second hand - and their 'used' rating system is very accurate. Have no experience purchasing from KEH though.