Sign in to follow this  
Alpine Electrocats

Nikkor lenses

I am wondering about Nikkor lenses I have an older Nikon dslr (3100) and want to get a prime lens for it. I have looked into it and found what Nikon models work for it, Looking on eBay they are all Nikkors. Dumb question no doubt  but are all Nikon lenses Nikkors, or are they a lower level Nikon?

Posted (edited)

Nikkor is Nikon's lens subsidiary. Any lens 'made by Nikon' is a Nikkor. Some only have Nikkor badging, some have both (if you go back really far to lenses made under occupation rule, the branding differs - Nippon Kogaku Tokyo or Nippon Kogaku Japan - still made by Nikkor). 

Depending how far back you go and what camera you have, almost any Nikkor can be used on a Nikon camera - but check - the really old stuff needs checking.

Edited by rmpfyf

https://shotkit.com/best-nikon-lenses/

Don’t ever buy any lens on eBay.   Always buy it at JB or a reputable camera shop such as micheals in Melb or Camera House...  also ensure that they are agents for the brand locally (they get there stock from the brand here in Australia).  

If you’re buying 2nd hand,  ask for a receipt that it came out of these stores.

You can also get third party lens from manufacturers such as Tokina, Tamaron, Sigma etc. that have lens with Nikon mount. Some of these are very good, and can save you some good money from an equivalent Nikon lens.

I use an older Nikon DSLR with both Nikon and non-Nikon (Tokina) lens. If you are dipping your feet into Prime lens, the Nikon 50mm 1.8 (I've had this for the past 11 years) is a great starter prime lens for not too much money. 

2 hours ago, anandpkumar said:

You can also get third party lens from manufacturers such as Tokina, Tamaron, Sigma etc. that have lens with Nikon mount. Some of these are very good, and can save you some good money from an equivalent Nikon lens.

If you ever deviate to 3rd party, Sigma would be it.

I use an older Nikon DSLR with both Nikon and non-Nikon (Tokina) lens. If you are dipping your feet into Prime lens, the Nikon 50mm 1.8 (I've had this for the past 11 years) is a great starter prime lens for not too much money. 

You can’t go wrong with Nikon prime lenses 

If you are dipping your feet into Prime lens, the Nikon 50mm 1.8 (I've had this for the past 11 years) is a great starter prime lens for not too much money. 

X2, best bang for buck prime, can pick them up on ebay for around $100.

20 hours ago, Addicted to music said:

Don’t ever buy any lens on eBay.   Always buy it at JB or a reputable camera shop such as micheals in Melb or Camera House...  also ensure that they are agents for the brand locally (they get there stock from the brand here in Australia).  

If you’re buying 2nd hand,  ask for a receipt that it came out of these stores.

Plenty of good shops and collectors trade on eBay, and there are plenty more shops than those mentioned that are reputable. Not sure the receipt does much either. Good second-hand dealers will support you no matter what, and there are plenty. Have bought plenty of stuff from some overseas vendors s/h and new which I'd repeat long before setting foot in JB HiFi to buy camera gear.

10 minutes ago, Addicted to music said:

If you ever deviate to 3rd party, Sigma would be it.

About the worst aftermarket lens I ever owned was a Sigma. Currently have a Tokina and a Sigma each in the collection. They're both fine. Judge the lens not the brand.

11 minutes ago, Addicted to music said:

You can’t go wrong with Nikon prime lenses 

You can, there's been some clangers in the past, but most are fine to great. 

If you are dipping your feet into Prime lens, the Nikon 50mm 1.8 (I've had this for the past 11 years) is a great starter prime lens for not too much money. 

Solid advice. It's a friggen awesome lens for not a lot. Mine's my default lens.

4 hours ago, rmpfyf said:

Plenty of good shops and collectors trade on eBay, and there are plenty more shops than those mentioned that are reputable. Not sure the receipt does much either. Good second-hand dealers will support you no matter what, and there are plenty. Have bought plenty of stuff from some overseas vendors s/h and new which I'd repeat long before setting foot in JB HiFi to buy camera gear.

About the worst aftermarket lens I ever owned was a Sigma. Currently have a Tokina and a Sigma each in the collection. They're both fine. Judge the lens not the brand.

You can, there's been some clangers in the past, but most are fine to great. 

Solid advice. It's a friggen awesome lens for not a lot. Mine's my default lens.

Wow lots of great advice

i have a Nikon af 50 lends but it doesn’t talk to all the electronics on the d3100 ( notably white balance is dimmed out with it, so I am selling it to get an af-s

28 minutes ago, Alpine Electrocats said:

i have a Nikon af 50 lends but it doesn’t talk to all the electronics on the d3100 ( notably white balance is dimmed out with it, so I am selling it to get an af-s

Yeah, no aperture feeler on that so you've got to go into the non-CPU lens menu... tedious... no focus motor either for older AF lenses... surely this is the time then to upgrade your D3100 :D 

Honestly whether you've a 50mm AF or AIS they're rockin' lenses and the AF-S is not better, just more convenient on some camera bodies. Unless there are reasons to keep your D3100 consider using what you'd have paid in upgrading your lens to upgrading your camera instead. Doesn't have to be new either. 

(Or you could go nuts and get a 50mm f1.4 with full AF etc :D which would work just fine on your D3100!)

10 hours ago, Alpine Electrocats said:

Wow lots of great advice

Yes........I think you are limited by your camera more than the lens. As @rmpfyf said, it may be well worth upgrading your camara. A used D300 can be had for very good money now a days!

10 hours ago, rmpfyf said:

Yeah, no aperture feeler on that so you've got to go into the non-CPU lens menu... tedious... no focus motor either for older AF lenses... surely this is the time then to upgrade your D3100 :D 

Honestly whether you've a 50mm AF or AIS they're rockin' lenses and the AF-S is not better, just more convenient on some camera bodies. Unless there are reasons to keep your D3100 consider using what you'd have paid in upgrading your lens to upgrading your camera instead. Doesn't have to be new either. 

(Or you could go nuts and get a 50mm f1.4 with full AF etc :D which would work just fine on your D3100!)

+1 to upgrading the D3100 - the camera is limiting more than the lens.

I've tried out the 50mm 1.4 - absolutely great lens with the ability to provide creamy bokeh, but I couldn't justify the price difference (more than 3 times) between the 1.4 and the 1.8 just for the better bokeh. Ended up with the 1.8, and been very happy with it for the past 11 years. It's my go-to lens for daily use

23 minutes ago, anandpkumar said:

I've tried out the 50mm 1.4 - absolutely great lens with the ability to provide creamy bokeh, but I couldn't justify the price difference (more than 3 times) between the 1.4 and the 1.8 just for the better bokeh. Ended up with the 1.8, and been very happy with it.

I'd recommend the Nikkor 50/1.8 lens for about 95% of users. It's cheap and produces quality images.

I have the Nikkor 50/1.4 lens, but just upgraded to the Sigma 50/1.4 Art lens. Now that's sharp! But again ... 95% of users wouldn't want to pay that kind of premium for that little bit extra.

--Geoff 

Don’t forget the 35 mm f1.8 Nikon lens which is ideal for crop sensor cameras. Cheap too and worth buying second hand as there’s few moving parts and reliable.

40 minutes ago, anandpkumar said:

Yes........I think you are limited by your camera more than the lens. As @rmpfyf said, it may be well worth upgrading your camara. A used D300 can be had for very good money now a days!

+1 to upgrading the D3100 - the camera is limiting more than the lens.

I've tried out the 50mm 1.4 - absolutely great lens with the ability to provide creamy bokeh, but I couldn't justify the price difference (more than 3 times) between the 1.4 and the 1.8 just for the better bokeh. Ended up with the 1.8, and been very happy with it for the past 11 years. It's my go-to lens for daily use

interesting..re the d300, It looks like an older camera than a d3100, and it is 12mp rather than 14, so I am curious whether its an upgrade.

Having said that though, should the while balance on this camera work with the lens I have?

in terms of updating, I have Nikon 1 V2 as well, I was thinking of selling the big slr but then found that spare lenses for the V2 are astronomical , like over $1000 for a prime lens (thats selling my Martin Logan's territory:( )

The V2 was not an expensive camera, although I have seen some for silly money on eBay (twice what I paid) Its Ok but it doesnt have one of the best features of mirrorless cameras - the top of camera viewfinder. An artist friend has one of them, he finds it great because he can shoot a scene and people don't realise he is photgraphing

Agreed on the camera, it’s pretty old now. Even a 3200 would be a decent upgrade. Invest in glass though as camera bodies come and go.

15 minutes ago, Alpine Electrocats said:

interesting..re the d300, It looks like an older camera than a d3100, and it is 12mp rather than 14, so I am curious whether its an upgrade.

Having said that though, should the while balance on this camera work with the lens I have?

Don't go by the pixel count - a 12MP vs 14MP makes no difference for the average consumer. Unless you are a professional photographer printing large posters, the mega-pixel race is not worth getting into. I've been using a 10 MP DSLR for the past 11 years, and I think I am still limited by my abilities than that of the camera!

The D300 is part of Nikon's semi-professional series, where as the D3XXX/D5XXX/D7XXX are part of the consumer series. The D300 or D700 (if you are interested if full frames) are much more robustly build and can take more abuse - which is a good criteria to consider if you are buying used. 

If you are a casual user, then the D5XXX or D7XXX series may be all that you want if you are upgrading. 

Most serious photographers will tell you to just get a decent camera body, and invest in good quality lens. We are most often limited by our own abilities than that of the equipment!