Advice on budget projector

After a long hiatus in projector land (had a Panasonic PT-AE700E), I'm ready to jump back in. Albeit at a budget! I recently bought a house (finally!) and so after many years of renting I feel like I can actually DO something. While I can see a reasonable investment in the future, when the little guy gets a bit bigger to watch films with (and help me justify it!), I'm looking at possible options in the second hand $3k arena. 

I've been out of the game a LONG time and have been looking at 2nd hand options and so far these are what I've been looking at - JVC X70, Sony VPL-45ES. I definitely don't have a man-cave, It's a largish lounge room (6-7m) with white walls, dark curtains and open hallway.

I would say these are the most important factors for me:

- Movies

-3D - LOVE 3D.

-Gaming

-Black level (Kuro/VT65 owner...but understand my room limits this).

I do see the new JVC LX-UH1B is coming in around this price point also -a bit of a stretch.  Are there any good Epson models I should be looking at?

Would appreciate any recommendations! 

For JVC I wouldn’t go any older than the X5000 which will give you good 4K HDR and good black levels. If one comes up the X7000 and above is a nice jump from the 5000.

if you like the epson’s either the 9300/9400 are pretty good.

should be able to pick up a used 9300 for about $2k. A very capable projector for sure. 

Lots of JVC fan’s here so that likely what you will be recommended mostly. But go to a shop and look at the Epson 9400, it’s pretty incredible image wise. 

depends what chasing. and budget. if happy enough with blu-ray no older than x35 or xX5models. any older all had some sort of issues. especially for 3D they really came good from x35 onwards....in epson you can go as far back as tw9000 all were good for blu-ray and 3D :)  just be wary of the epson below 8000/9000 series as they are all lacking severely in lens shift which can make awkward for utilising.

obviously newer models will take you forward... just depends on budget and what can get hands on....

even though budget is up, haven't mentioned uhd/hdr as a particular requirement. in which i wouldnt spend to buy those. stick with an older really good 1080p unit and put money into calibration new bulb and such :)

if uhd / hdr is a requirement really there's the cheaper benq 2700 I think is in budget, pick up a epson 9300 second hand. or maybe a jvc x5000-x5900 dont think budget would allow for much more ? 

I'm not into UHD as yet,  running the Oppo 103 however if projector can take it and benefit from it I would probably consider it and update to a new player also. 

If I can get a great 1080p for a good price that'll last me a few years then that's probably the better option

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, rickydenim said:

I'm not into UHD as yet,  running the Oppo 103 however if projector can take it and benefit from it I would probably consider it and update to a new player also. 

If I can get a great 1080p for a good price that'll last me a few years then that's probably the better option

its early days for uhd still, if going that ways will have to likely upgrade not only projector but cables, player and avr as well if using one. if dont particularly need uhd better of buying a good 1080p in the interim and by the time need uhd will be a whole lot more options and likely cheaper too that what they are now :)

The sony 40, 45, 55, 65 - none of these accept a 4K signal, they're rather outdated 2K projectors but still ok for blu rays, actually they were really good 2K projectors.

The jvc is an over priced dlp projector, not even made by jvc, just has their badge on it. 

What's your budget? You could get a 2nd hand JVC x series machine or maybe an Epson 9300. There isn't much else outside of that, particularly if you want to feed it 4K material.

44 minutes ago, rickydenim said:

Bookmark this, sign up to get updates when new stuff is listed, I think you can on gumtree? 

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-home-theatre-systems/jvc+projector/k0c21118?categoryRedirected=true

and do same for fleabay too. They do come up now and again.

10 hours ago, hopefullguy said:

Thanks for this! There is currently a 9300 on there for $2,400. This is fitting in my budget and would probably give me what I need for now. I saw the same model on facebook marketplace for the same price - better to go with Epson as get the warranty also. Cheers!

Just thought I'd jump in with an update, I ended up purchasing the Epson TW8300 as a refurb from Epson - arrived yesterday! I'm yet to purchase a screen as yet, still working through what I'll do there but quickly got it setup and projecting onto my pull down white blinds. Holy heck this thing is woah! Very impressed with the picture this throws. Can only imagine on a proper screen! 

Now to go down the rabbit hole on settings etc.

Also looking to grab a UHD bluray player, most likely the Pana UB820 for the HDR options, unless anyone has better recommendations? Just need 3D, HDR tweaks & DLNA for media streaming.

Thanks!

well done i have the 8200 and really cant see the average home body needing the extra's the 9000 series has. just be carefull with screens... dont over spend. it will still look good on a diy/blockout cloth screen haha

i guess 4k ish may differ though so do your research well.

Edited by hopefullguy

4 hours ago, rickydenim said:

Just thought I'd jump in with an update, I ended up purchasing the Epson TW8300 as a refurb from Epson - arrived yesterday! I'm yet to purchase a screen as yet, still working through what I'll do there but quickly got it setup and projecting onto my pull down white blinds. Holy heck this thing is woah! Very impressed with the picture this throws. Can only imagine on a proper screen! 

Now to go down the rabbit hole on settings etc.

Also looking to grab a UHD bluray player, most likely the Pana UB820 for the HDR options, unless anyone has better recommendations? Just need 3D, HDR tweaks & DLNA for media streaming.

Thanks!

congratulations! happy times....

do you have the rest of the chain set-up? speakers, AVR, etc?

1 hour ago, hopefullguy said:

well done i have the 8200 and really cant see the average home body needing the extra's the 9000 series has. just be carefull with screens... dont over spend. it will still look good on a diy/blockout cloth screen haha

i guess 4k ish may differ though so do your research well.

I've actually just bought a cheap 100" portable screen on a tripod from Ebay, for under $100 I figure this will get me watching stuff quickly while I work through a more permanent solution. I'll then have something if I want to watch some outdoor films in summer :)

57 minutes ago, anandpkumar said:

congratulations! happy times....

do you have the rest of the chain set-up? speakers, AVR, etc?

Yep, this is gonna go in my main lounge that I currently have a 65" Pana VT65 plasma, Denon 3500x AVR and 7.1 Atmos setup. I'm thinking I'll grab the 4K player as I could also use it on my 1080p display and get the Atmos tracks I crave that I'm missing out on with bluray. 

Screen wise I'd like to have a motorised that will come down in front of the TV. Still not sure of where the Epson will go as the lights hang down quite low on the ceiling so thinking may be best to go on a stand behind the couch. This thing is huge!

• Like 1