Size of new record packaging

Does it annoy anyone else, how thick most new albums are these days? The width of your typical gatefold reissue is just ridiculous. Records are a pretty space intensive little passion at the best of times, but when most gatefold releases are 7-9mm wide, cf. 3 mm for an older non gatefold release, I find myself having a little celebration when I find an old version that gives me an excuse to avoid that ultra deluxe new reissue with the 30page booklet! I am not advocating a return to 120-150g pressings, though I wouldn't mind, just that the packaging return to a slightly more compact scale.

Am I alone in this?

Cheers

Justin

IMG_0632.jpg

IMG_0633.jpg

• Like 1

I feel it possibly has a bit to do with the marketing, rather than anything else. Heftier item, nicer paper, nicer packaging to resonate with/seemingly justify the hefty price tag.

• Like 2

I would quite happily go back to the lighter weight pressings as 180 gramme and above is no more than marketing and has no sonic benefit. I love gatefolds and triple and quad folds though.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Guest Simonon

Funny how despite the heavy 180 gram vinyl and hefty packaging a number of my new purchases are warped and off centre.

Funny how despite the heavy 180 gram vinyl and hefty packaging a number of my new purchases are warped and off centre.

Agree, I can’t remember ever buying a warped album in the 80s, what I seem to get now is warped about 25% of the time.
  • Like 1

Nothing beats a good heavy-duty chipboard shell stock by Stoughton Printing!

Can forgo the 200 gm double 45 rpm vinyl though. Give me a good old 120-150 gm pressing any day.

• Like 1

I'm partial to the thicker spines personally. Makes it easier to find what I'm looking for since I browse in that orientation. A lot of the older stuff I have, not only was it thin to start with but has also been extra squished in, I assume, the previous owners shelves or whatever and is almost impossible to read the titles on the spine.

• Haha 1

If you're committed to vinyl, then a few extra mm per album shouldn't really put you off. IMHO. ;)

Some people store their vinyl outside of the covers (to avoid ring wear? more easily accessible?) which takes up even more room!

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Hergest said:

How about a 6 piece fold out sleeve? A sextfold??

Isaac Hayes, Black Moses

2106188094_IsaacHayes.jpg.d705d0e514d840555204c38c5b7364f4.jpg

Aaaahhhh, Isaac Hayes!!!  The Chef, The Shaft, The Man....sure Black Moses - why not!

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, BLAH BLAH said:

Nahhh the thicker the better, love them as gatefolds, triples, quads as well!

Yep, I'm with you. The thicker the better. Just like those Jap pressing cover sleeves that ooze quality. 

• Love 1

The thick spines are good for helping those new to record-collecting quickly build up an impressive looking collection. 

However, I'm with those who have lots of records, and the extra space they take up doesn't impress me. 

8 minutes ago, Tubularbells said:

Its finding outer sleeves that fit that bugs me. I now have to stock 2 sized outers and am finding im burning through the xlarge much more than the reg these days.

Try a pack of these from Decibel. The Ultimate outer sleeves are really good.

http://www.decibelhifi.com.au/9390-oversized-ultimate-lp-outer-sleeves-2-5-10/

*edit. Just re-read your post and you say you're stocking two sizes so perhaps you have these already. Still, I'll leave it up in case people are looking for oversized outers.

Edited by Hergest
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

Back eons ago, I used to prefer the US imports as they had thicker, more substantial covers. But what is most disturbing to me is that the examples in the photo are not in alphabetical/chronological order! ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, shawnwes said:

Nah, sorry. Not giving up the gatefold Tone Poet Blue Notes. Just buy another record case. Problem solved unless you're living in a tiny studio apt.

585628532.jpg

Just out of interest how many of those  gatefold Tone Poet Blue Notes do you have?!? How do they sound?!?! And where did you source yours from?! Cheers...

On 21/07/2019 at 7:01 AM, Geoffcb said:

Back eons ago, I used to prefer the US imports as they had thicker, more substantial covers. But what is most disturbing to me is that the examples in the photo are not in alphabetical/chronological order! ?

Haha, channelling your inner librarian.

i usually limit my shelves to genre.  Jazz, Blues and R&b soul In the best locations, rock, pop, classical, world, folk country et filling the margins

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, BLAH BLAH said:

Just out of interest how many of those  gatefold Tone Poet Blue Notes do you have?!? How do they sound?!?! And where did you source yours from?! Cheers...

I have purchased, or have on pre-order, all of the Tone Poets except Mr Shing A Ling (just couldn't get into it). I've also purchased most of the BN 80th Anniversary titles (again most of the funk based titles I just couldn't get into so passed on). They've all been purchased on Amazon.ca or one of its retailers. I want the items & bricks & mortar here don't seem to care to carry them.

The Tone Poets are identical to the Music Matters, other than a couple of titles aren't gatefold. The BN 80s are excellent pressings but packaging is pretty basic (not much different than the 75th anniv). I would have preferred the more deluxe packaging & happily pay the difference but at the price they sell for can't complain at all. Every pressing has been ruler flat & no issues.

Tone Poet:

Wayne Shorter Etcetera

Chick Corea Now He Sings Now He Sobs

Sam Rivers Contours

Gil Evans New Bottle Old Wine

Cassandra Wilson Glamoured

Joe Henderson State of The Tenor 2

Lee Morgan Cornbread

Baby Face Willette Face to Face

Dexter Gordon Clubhouse

Donald Byrd Chant

Kenny Burrell Introducing Kenny Burrell

Andrew Hill Black Fire

Stanley Turrentine Hustlin

Blue Note 80:

Dexter Gordon Doin Alright

Herbie Hancock Takin Off

Robert Glasper Canvas

Johnny Griffin Introducing Johnny Griffin

Freddie Hubbard Open Sesame

Grant Green Grant's First Stand

Lou Donaldson Alligator Boogaloo

Donald Byrd Ethiopian Knights

John Scofield Hand Jive

Edited by shawnwes
  • Love 1

I suppose I should have expected a quip about the disorganisation of my records. They have previously been more organised, but a couple of successive movements of their storage containers has upset the Apple cart somewhat. I don’t know that I could do alphabetical- I like to maintain an air of devil-may-care to hide my true obsessive nature. I also like to group the big fat covers so they don’t mess up the look of the older ones, to get back to the theme of the post.

justin

• Haha 1