Sign in to follow this  
Only KLIPSCH

Speakers in series ( 16 Ohm )

I hope this doesn't make too many peoples eyes roll or grab their heads?  ... But would their be anything majorly wrong with putting 2 speakers in series to use both as effectively ONE center speaker.  

My thinking is that the amp would see ( 16 Ohms ) therefore only be putting out half of its potential power, however the speakers im considering for this idea are very efficient ( 96 db SPL ), so even if the amp were to only be able to provide half power (75 Watts RMS)... that should be more than enough to make them sound good.

Only things im not sure about is would there be any issues for the amp wiring up the speakers like this and giving it 16 Ohms?

Wiring up speakers in series to create the 16ohm load wouldn't cause any problems problems for the amplifier. 

An interesting proposition.

Are we talking a multichannel amp (ie dedicated centre channel) or a run of the mill stereo speaker outputs on an amp?

@zippi .. Hi zippi thanks for showing interest in my crazy idea 🙂 ... its a high end home theater amp, so yeah multi-channel with dedicated Center channel

2 minutes ago, Only KLIPSCH said:

@zippi .. Hi zippi thanks for showing interest in my crazy idea 🙂 ... its a high end home theater amp, so yeah multi-channel with dedicated Center channel

well that's good start at least as stereo high level would have been a bit of a nightmare. In comparison - a dedicated center channel is more promising, however I couldn't say if it's safe. Perhaps the amp manual might gives some clues as the what Ohm-age is acceptable as a load on that centre channel output. Theoretically that's all that should matter, however in practice - is it gonna sound any good? -will it damage the speakers? couldn't say....

i have run 2 sides in series.. you need to up the db setting on your avr for them a fair bit actually.

i will guess you are running 2 klipsch as fronts? either way i looked into it a lot and many say dont because of particular sound problems associated with the speakers being used this way, not the avr not being able to power them. anyway i did find the odd person using 2 but most did not use traditional horizontal speakers, they used standard book shelf speakers on their sides.. go figure.

trying it wont hurt. in the end i just changed my room furnishings and the centre sung.

42 minutes ago, hopefullguy said:

i have run 2 sides in series.. you need to up the db setting on your avr for them a fair bit actually.

i will guess you are running 2 klipsch as fronts? either way i looked into it a lot and many say dont because of particular sound problems associated with the speakers being used this way, not the avr not being able to power them. anyway i did find the odd person using 2 but most did not use traditional horizontal speakers, they used standard book shelf speakers on their sides.. go figure.

trying it wont hurt. in the end i just changed my room furnishings and the centre sung.

@hopefullguy ... You will always get NAY sayers, but can you remember what facts they gave for negative thoughts towards the idea..... what exact sound issues?

What did you mean by changing your furnishings?  .. are you still running 2 center speakers ?

Guest Music monster

I wouldn’t recommend it the sound quality will deteriorate. Gary the music monster 🎶

I have run several setups using two speakers as a centre speaker in 4, 8, and 16 ohms.

Never had any problems as far as the amps go.

The main problem was they were not a match sound wise to the rest of the system. Different brand of drivers.

My current setup uses two speakers with 16ohm drivers wired to present 8ohms to the amp. They are the same brand and model as the 8 ohm versions used in the other speakers. Works well enough for me.    

some reading

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/152974-is-using-two-center-channel-speakers-advisable/

https://www.avforums.com/threads/can-i-use-two-speakers-for-my-centre-channel.1012395/

it was not easy to find the exact 2nd centre as my first so i didnt bother. as for room i softened wall surfaces with thick curtains and wall carpet which meant "clap" test was passed easily which meant we could hear centre much better...

The varying impedance across the frequency response, and the reactive components in the path - inductors and capacitors - means the frequency response of both speakers in series will be dramatically affected in unpredictable ways. That said, if it still sounds okay for the application you're using it in it doesn't matter, but it's unlikely to.

Guest Music monster
1 hour ago, Ittaku said:

The varying impedance across the frequency response, and the reactive components in the path - inductors and capacitors - means the frequency response of both speakers in series will be dramatically affected in unpredictable ways. That said, if it still sounds okay for the application you're using it in it doesn't matter, but it's unlikely to.

Agree it’s very unlikely to work , but if he’s happy that’s all that matters. Gary the music monster 🎶

Guest Music monster

I tried to run my two pairs of la Scala with one very powerful and high quality amplifier and the results were poor. Detail, clarity, resolution and bass power and control were all no where near as good as using seperate amplifiers for each speaker. Gary the music monster 🎶