Svs pb1000 vs Krix seismix 3 mk6

Hi everyone, newbie to stereonet, I'm trying to decide between the Svs pb1000 and the Krix seismix 3 mk6, which out of the two would be a better sub? I'm trying to get a good sub to pair up with my polk signature speakers for home theatre driven by a Yamaha rx-a1070. 

Edited by Rolland

depends on the cost.. there is a krix on gumtree https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/como/speakers/krix-speakers-up-to-56-off/1223298358

but pb1000 come up for around $650 2nd hand. to be honest they would be at a similar level. just comes down to placement, placement and placement as to which performs better.

2nd hand or heavy discounted/refurb is the way to go buying a sub.

Edited by hopefullguy
  • Like 1

Just looking at the Krix  specs online (no experience with this particular model) and having previously owned the PB-1000 (and several other SVS subs) I would personally take the PB-1000 hands down if the use is primarily home theatre.

The SVS's much larger cabinet will provide a fair bit more efficiency down low , giving much greater output under 30hz,the tuning of the Krix looks to be a fair bit higher too

The Pb-1000  lists an anechoic/groundplane freq. response of  19-270 Hz ±3dB  with room gain you may get a little under 19Hz

The Krix only lists an "in-room " frequency response of 22-200Hz with  no +/- given (maybe -12dB??)

According to this review, the Krix was 30dB down by 20Hz - and that was in-room

https://www.avhub.com.au/product-reviews/sound-image/krix-seismix-3-v60-subwoofer-review-438075

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Krix seismix 3 v6

0_0_0_0_70__Reviews_ScreenShot04468.jpg.86e436dce3278913f1c35445f3537c14.jpg

MEASUREMENTS: In our listening room, in subwoofer corner, measured close, the Krix Seismix 3 v.6 delivered an honest 29Hz to 153Hz. As is typical with bass reflex designs, once the limit of bass extension is reached, the dropoff is precipitous. In this case the output was down by 30dB at 20Hz (that is, making no practical contribution to the sound).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The SVS PB-1000 measures much deeper

These measurements are taken OUTSIDE (so no boundary reinforcement other than the ground) with room gain and boundary gain you should get flat to at least 20Hz

https://referencehometheater.com/review/svs-pb-1000-subwoofer-review/

svs-pb-1000-levels-equalized.png.fa30d28722f5d647c8b8b2bc3ec497d7.png

341721781_svs-pb-1000-measurement-graph2.png.306d79939a23bf501429418edf1a9edb.png

and from SVS

1349080573_ScreenShot07-16-19at04_44PM.PNG.94ac2346ccbc439bbe488876f4c79a2d.PNG

Edited by jamiebosco
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Rolland said:

Hi everyone, newbie to stereonet, I'm trying to decide between the Svs pb1000 and the Krix seismix 3 mk6, which out of the two would be a better sub? I'm trying to get a good sub to pair up with my polk signature speakers for home theatre driven by a Yamaha rx-a1070. 

have you checked the classifieds ? some stunning options come up... likely get twice the sub for same price or less... :D anyways worth keeping a look out ... thats said being in perth options might limit in anywise.... worth visiting some retailers to check out in person too.. make sure either of these are going to hit the spot ...

• Like 1

Just an update on the Subwoofers:

I have had the Krix seismix 3 mk6 for a week now and got in the Svs pb1000 Subwoofer on Wednesday. 

I've tested both subs in room that measures 5mx4m with 4m ceiling height from floor. Both subs were tuned at 80db with a 50hz tone, both subs were plugged using the LFE input. My speakers consist of the polk s20 bookshelf speakers as my fronts crossover at 80hz an s30 for a centre speaker also crossed at 80hz and s10' s for surround and atmos effects crossed at 90hz in 5.1.2 configuration running off a Yamaha rx-a1070 av reciever. 

Both subs did great on music, the only difference was that the pb1000 was a little bit more punchy whereas the seismix 3 mk6 was a just a tiny bit more accurate. Movies was where I started to see obvious differences, the seismix 3 mk6 was a solid performer and did effects very well, however the ultra lows at about below 30hz was lacking, but like I said it is a solid subwoofer. 

The pb1000 on the other hand only can be described in one word.. Awesome! It was just that good, it's was balanced, but most of all I have never smiled so much listening to a subwoofer, that just shows how much I love it. Below 30hz I wasn't just hearing the sound, but I was also feeling it. 

In conclusion I would have to say that the winner is the pb1000, it is just balanced overall and given the price, its a steal for such an excellent performer. I highly recommend the pb1000, however if you have very limited space then the seismix 3 mk6 is a great solid choice. 

Edited by Rolland
  • Like 1

Glad you liked the PB-1000 so much, I had one for a few years and they are such a solid performer , nearly bulletproof . I was pretty sure that movies were going to be that would separate these 2, so much of the enjoyment from movie soundtracks comes from the bass weight under 30hz

• 3 months later...

7 hours ago, bossnass15 said:

Is the MK7 different from the MK6?

WWW.KRIX.COM.AU

MK

The mk7 is a bit different from the mk6 on paper with an increase of 50watts rms more on the mk7 than the mk6, 300 watts rms (mk6) vs 350 watts rms (mk7) and now on the mk7 you get wireless built into the subwoofer for the optional adapter for the av reciever. I've got one on the way myself after hearing it in store, very impressive. 

Edited by Rolland
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Rolland said:

The mk7 is a bit different from the mk6 on paper with an increase of 50watts rms more on the mk7 than the mk6, 300 watts rms (mk6) vs 350 watts rms (mk7) and now on the mk7 you get wireless built into the subwoofer for the optional adapter for the av reciever. I've got one on the way myself after hearing it in store, very impressive. 

Cool. How does it compare with the svs pb 2000 for about the same price? I was already getting one until i saw this thread and then they have the SVS PB 2000 at $1225 now lol.  My usage would be 60:40 (Movies:Music), hence i need a bit of musicality in my setup. Kinda hard to get insights into this one as not many people heard both mk7 vs svs pb-x. The rest of my setup is in this thread (Krix speakers). 

Thanks!

Edited by bossnass15

29 minutes ago, bossnass15 said:

Cool. How does it compare with the svs pb 2000 for about the same price? I was already getting one until i saw this thread and then they have the SVS PB 2000 at $1225 now lol.  My usage would be 60:40 (Movies:Music), hence i need a bit of musicality in my setup. Kinda hard to get insights into this one as not many people heard both mk7 vs svs pb-x. The rest of my setup is in this thread (Krix speakers). 

Thanks!

usually for more music use a sealed sub would be the go.. the sb2000 is $1115 delivered on ebay from distributor.

as for how they compare you really wont know as most dont have both, set up in your particular room. if you have all krix speakers and that krix sub is "matched" with them then maybe that is the better choice?

what type of music makes up that 40%.. how important is music vs movies.

placement and EQ plays a big role, do you have the chance to put the sub in the optimum position or will it be the typical "it looks better in that spot blah blah".. variables come into the equation.

12 hours ago, bossnass15 said:

Thanks!

To be honest with I've only heard the pb-2000 in store, so my description of the sound is not going to reflect what it sounds like at home, but on paper there is really no comparison, the PB-2000 would destroy the Krix seismix 3 mk7, 500 watts rms (pb-2000) vs 350 watts rms (seismix 3 mk7), 17-260 Hz ± 3 dB (pb-2000) vs 22-200 Hz +/- 6db (seismix 3 mk7), there is realistically no comparison unless you are comparing the seismix 3 mk7 with the Svs pb1000. 

Sound wise, like I said I've only heard the pb-2000 in store, but I will say that I liked it a lot more for movies than I did with music, I found it to be a just a little slow and sloppy at times during music playback, but it wasn't too bad, however for movies it was fantastic. The seismix 3 mk7 I also heard in store and I found it to be cleaner and more musical than the pb-2000, but at the same time the seismix 3 mk7 gave a very solid performance for movies, it didn't dig as deep as the pb-2000, but then again the pb-2000 is physically way bigger than the seismix 3 mk7, so it was going to go lower anyway.  At the end these are just my observations of the sound between these two subwoofers, and every one is going to have a different opinion. 

You have mentioned that your usage would be 60:40 (Movies:Music), how big is your room? 

Edited by Rolland

5 hours ago, Rolland said:

To be honest with I've only heard the pb-2000 in store, so my description of the sound is not going to reflect what it sounds like at home, but on paper there is really no comparison, the PB-2000 would destroy the Krix seismix 3 mk7, 500 watts rms (pb-2000) vs 350 watts rms (seismix 3 mk7), 17-260 Hz ± 3 dB (pb-2000) vs 22-200 Hz +/- 6db (seismix 3 mk7), there is realistically no comparison unless you are comparing the seismix 3 mk7 with the Svs pb1000. 

Sound wise, like I said I've only heard the pb-2000 in store, but I will say that I liked it a lot more for movies than I did with music, I found it to be a just a little slow and sloppy at times during music playback, but it wasn't too bad, however for movies it was fantastic. The seismix 3 mk7 I also heard in store and I found it to be cleaner and more musical the pb-2000, but at the same time the seismix 3 mk7 gave a very solid performance for movies, it didn't dig as deep as the pb-2000, but then again the pb-2000 is physically way bigger than the seismix 3 mk7, so it was going to go lower anyway.  At the end these are just my observations of the sound between these two subwoofers, and every one is going to have a different opinion. 

You have mentioned that your usage would be 60:40 (Movies:Music), how big is your room? 

About 5-6 m in length: 

IMGUR.COM

Post with 0 votes and 216 views.

Hopefully the siesmix 3 would fill that room. According to 1 of the sales guy I'm buying my setup from, he definitely said that the seismix 3 is more musical.

Edited by bossnass15

3 hours ago, bossnass15 said:

Do you think the seismix 3 will fill that room out well? Noticed that you're also getting a MK7 lol

Just realised that you mentioned your room is 5x6 m, that's quite large, almost 3000 cubic feet, in that case you might want to go for a bigger subwoofer depending how tall your ceiling is. 

8 hours ago, hopefullguy said:

whatever you decide best get a move on. svs are rarely on special. sb2000 would be the way to go imo, the "other" person wont complain about the size so much and it is easier to fit in different places due to smaller foot print.

The sb or pb in my use case?