SOLD: FS: Sonus Faber Electa Amator 1

SOLD

Item: Sonus Faber Electa Amator 1 and Stone Stands
Price: 3000.0
Item Condition: Excellent - tiny almost imperceptible chip on one side of wood otherwise excellent. 
Reason for selling: Have smaller bookshelf speakers
Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, EFT, COD Only
Extra Info: Excellent condition and often rated better than Model 11 as Model 1 had Esotar tweeter. 
https://www.stereophile.com/standloudspeakers/874/index.html; Ebay prices without stands usually AUS $3500. Speakers allow for biwiring.   
Photos: Advertisements without photos of the actual item will not be approved.

20190716_095829_resized.jpg

20190716_095836_resized.jpg

20190716_095812_resized.jpg

20190716_133533_resized.jpg

20190716_133603_resized.jpg

Edited by Laurence
Photos of drivers as requested.
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

I do not want to mislead you and I am not an 'expert' but my sense is the Electa is a much smaller speaker than the old Amator, and I do know there are numerous threads which have praised the special tweeter in the Amators which were never duplicated in later models as considered too expensive. You can see the difference in your Electa vs Amator pictures. So essentially Electa would be cheaper, go less far down in the bass etc. 

I can tell you that I have heard both the Electa & the Electa Amator.The difference is night & day.The Dynaudio Esotar tweeters are still considered to me the best dome tweeters in the world & still sell second hand for around $1000pr if you can find a pair that is.Sonus faber could not use the Dynaudio Esotar tweeters anymore because Dynaudio didn't want to sell them to anyone so the Sonus Faber Electa was made to really replace the Amators but wasn't as successful.

Extremas to me are still considered to be the best Sonus Faber 2 way speaker in the world ever.That said the Electa Amator is a bargain at $3000 considering the stands alone are worth around $1500 if you can find a pair.GLWTS

Edited by Conrad1970

The Electas above were mine originally, and you are correct, they were smaller speakers and older.

They were only somewhat smaller.

The Electa Amators came later, and were an improved version with the Dynaudio Esotar tweeter.

Edited by erest
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, erest said:

The Electas above were mine originally, and you are correct, they were smaller speakers and older.

They were only somewhat smaller.

The Electa Amators came later, and were an improved version with the Dynaudio Esotar tweeter.

No sorry you are wrong.Electa Amator were under the Extremas.

The Electa was replaced because Dynaudio would not sell the Esotars to Sonus faber anymore.That is why Sonus could not do better in sound without going to a 3 way which was the Amati Homage & the Strats.I know alot about Sonus Faber & I have 2 people in Perth who have the Amati Homage & Extremas & Strats.

If you guys want to knock yourself out here is a thread which simply confirms everything I stated that the Amator 1 had the best tweeter.

"I have owned both the Sonus Faber Electa Amator I & II, even simultaneously and fully agree with you - they are great speakers. 

However, as soon as we switch to preference I must state that I still own the Sonus Faber Amator I - although the II is more expended in the bass, the tweeter of the Amator I, the famous Dynaudio Esotar MD330 is IMHO in a difference league from the tweeter used in the Amator II. It is exactly the same tweeter that was used in the Extrema's. Perhaps the Amator II behaves better, but the original sound balance is still my choice, particularly with high quality tube amplifiers."

https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/sonus-faber-electa-amator-i-ii.21117/

5 minutes ago, Laurence said:

If you guys want to knock yourself out here is a thread which simply confirms everything I stated that the Amator 1 had the best tweeter.

"I have owned both the Sonus Faber Electa Amator I & II, even simultaneously and fully agree with you - they are great speakers. 

However, as soon as we switch to preference I must state that I still own the Sonus Faber Amator I - although the II is more expended in the bass, the tweeter of the Amator I, the famous Dynaudio Esotar MD330 is IMHO in a difference league from the tweeter used in the Amator II. It is exactly the same tweeter that was used in the Extrema's. Perhaps the Amator II behaves better, but the original sound balance is still my choice, particularly with high quality tube amplifiers."

https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/sonus-faber-electa-amator-i-ii.21117/

That's exactly what I said in my comment ?

6 hours ago, ZOOTYtooty said:

Lovely speakers,  they have a very natural voice.

I sold a pair of these for a mate here 2yrs back.  Talk about seller remorse, ...they were awesome!  Hard to believe a 2 way can sound so good.  The Esotar tweet is really special.  If you listen to vocals - snap these up now.

Incredible bargain for a Classic Speaker(I've owned these)--this era of Franco Serblin's masterworks

-- Amator,Extrema, Guarneri Homage frankly make the current range of SF products sound broken!

great buying-Kudos

Willco

• Like 2

Agree wholeheartedly. I have Magico Mini 11 speakers which are also a thing of beauty and which were replaced with plain black boxes! Nobody wants to make quality enclosures like Franco or the early Mini 11. Of course they tell you the replacements sound better, go deeper, image wider etc etc but often they also lose something magical that was there in the forerunning models. Trickle down technology sounds great but the trickling comes with twiddling and bingo you get something way different but not necessarily better.

25 minutes ago, Laurence said:

Agree wholeheartedly. I have Magico Mini 11 speakers which are also a thing of beauty and which were replaced with plain black boxes! Nobody wants to make quality enclosures like Franco or the early Mini 11. Of course they tell you the replacements sound better, go deeper, image wider etc etc but often they also lose something magical that was there in the forerunning models. Trickle down technology sounds great but the trickling comes with twiddling and bingo you get something way different but not necessarily better.

Aha!--yes the Magico Mini II-I rate the best most 'musical' Magico ever made--period!

The only Magico I've heard I'd live with

Usually a not fan of the bigger ones  sonics,I find them too forward and a tad fatiguing especially on Digital

BUT the Mini II's in spite of the fact they need some brute power to get them to sing

Then the Fat lady does them proud-- enjoy?

I concur as you state of the current versions of both M's and particularly the SF's-- I own the Guarneri

Homage(originals) and have listened at length to the so called "improved"  SFG versions

--frankly none measure up☹️

Willco

Simpatico---agree with everything you say the newer Magico's too strident. Again anything less than 150+watts and the Mini 11 don't wanna work.  The thing about the SF EA1 is you can actually use valves (incredible midrange) or SS because they are 'sweet' through the entire audio spectrum. 

22 minutes ago, Laurence said:

Simpatico---agree with everything you say the newer Magico's too strident. Again anything less than 150+watts and the Mini 11 don't wanna work.  The thing about the SF EA1 is you can actually use valves (incredible midrange) or SS because they are 'sweet' through the entire audio spectrum. 

Yes on the Amators--I drove mine with a ARC D70

Willco