Schiit Mani Phono- A Quick Impression.

Bought one of these to Set Up in a system for my Brother. Will be using a Music Hall 7.1 with Audio Technica VM750sh. He also has an old Thorens with RB300 Arm.

While waiting for him to pick up. I have been running it in. Have to say for little $$, this is a reasonable Sounding Phono Stage. I'm running it in a Set-up of Well Tempered Versalex, lovingly tweaked by Mark Dohmann, Garrott Optim. Heavily modded./upgraded Vincent SA-T8/SP-998 Momo's into Revel Ultima Studios. More than likely a Set-Up a fair way above what a Mani would normally be used in.

While it can't compete with the higher end  Quad 24P & heavily Modded/Upgraded Audio Research SP9 Mk.11 used as standalone Phono, bypassing the Line Stage, this is understandable considering the Price Difference. While it doesn't have the Soundstage and Overall Depth of these two, it has quite a Punchy, lively presentation, and doesn't do anything wrong, which a lot of budget Phono's do.

Other Phono Stages I'm familiar with, it betters the ME25, I feel it's slightly better than the Vincent PH-08. An interesting one could be an A/B with the Doge 8 with the Mike Kontor Mod's, which also falls behind the Quad & AR. If I get time will do that.

Overall, pleasantly surprised with the Performance to $$ ratio.

• Like 2

Agreed with your initial impressions of the Mani.  Hard to beat this little gem for under $300.  Resolution and space sings to my mind with this preamp.  Its not the quietest preamp, but that amount of coin, thats really asking.   

1 hour ago, shogo33 said:

Agreed with your initial impressions of the Mani.  Hard to beat this little gem for under $300.  Resolution and space sings to my mind with this preamp.  Its not the quietest preamp, but that amount of coin, thats really asking.   

Yes, meant to put that there is a fair a bit of "hiss". No concern when Record Playing.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, initforthemusic said:

Other Phono Stages I'm familiar with, it betters the ME25, I feel it's slightly better than the Vincent PH-08. An interesting one could be an A/B with the Doge 8 with the Mike Kontor Mod's, which also falls behind the Quad & AR. If I get time will do that.

Overall, pleasantly surprised with the Performance to $$ ratio.

✋ I challenge that!! Though I'll admit, I've never heard a Mani.?

Seriously though, I've only heard good things about the Mani....it appears to be a quality bargain that punches well above it's weight.?

Edited by stevoz
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, stevoz said:

✋ I challenge that!! Though I'll admit, I've never heard a Mani.?

Seriously though, I've only heard good things about the Mani....it appears to be a quality bargain that punches well above it's weight.?

Yes. I'm a bit surprised how good the Mani is. The PH-08 was my "go to" Phono when setting up Budget systems and is nice and as you know I'm a big fan of most things Vincent punching well above their weight. Like a lot in this Game it could come down to synergy, Cart. etc. to which one. Both are "Good Bang For Buck." 

• Like 1

Well just finished doing an A/B with the Mani and Doge 8, the Doge 8 has Psvane 12AX7 11, which are a big step up over the rubbish supplied Tubes, it's also had the Mike Kontor mod's. Of course I played the Mani through the Doge Line Stage. I thought it might be closer but the Doge won convincingly, just Bigger Soundstage, more Depth, tighter grip etc. I think the Doge Phono Stage with the above Mod's is probably competitive with $1.5k, maybe some $2k Phono Stages, so the Mani still punches well above it's price. It's a pity you can't use the Doge as a Standalone Phono bypassing the Line Stage, (the Line Stage is not the Giant Killer some have reviewed as such),  as I feel going through a Better line stage would bring the Phono Performance up a Couple Of notches.

So in conclusion the Mani is not a Giant Slayer, but a Good "Bang for Buck" Phono.

• Like 1

On 16/07/2019 at 11:16 PM, initforthemusic said:

Well just finished doing an A/B with the Mani and Doge 8, the Doge 8 has Psvane 12AX7 11, which are a big step up over the rubbish supplied Tubes, it's also had the Mike Kontor mod's. Of course I played the Mani through the Doge Line Stage. I thought it might be closer but the Doge won convincingly, just Bigger Soundstage, more Depth, tighter grip etc. I think the Doge Phono Stage with the above Mod's is probably competitive with $1.5k, maybe some $2k Phono Stages, so the Mani still punches well above it's price. It's a pity you can't use the Doge as a Standalone Phono bypassing the Line Stage, (the Line Stage is not the Giant Killer some have reviewed as such),  as I feel going through a Better line stage would bring the Phono Performance up a Couple Of notches.

So in conclusion the Mani is not a Giant Slayer, but a Good "Bang for Buck" Phono.

Thanks for that review. The Mani was something I was considering for use with my P1 in the future. It's been built as a 'budget' system. Running through the Cambridge Topaz am10 phono stage atm. 

I think the Mani may be a small step up. 

Cheers. 

• Like 1