Has anyone heard the Cobult yet? It's not cheap but Darko thinks it's a winner. I wonder if it actually amplifies as well. My phone (Galaxy S8+) has crap volume. 

i saw his review - and it was very glowing, am interested too on what others think. I'm not sure if it amplifies the signal though. 

What headgear are you running? Is it a difficult load?

13 hours ago, roh008 said:

i saw his review - and it was very glowing, am interested too on what others think. I'm not sure if it amplifies the signal though. 

What headgear are you running? Is it a difficult load?

I asked the 'audiophilliac' and he say's it does amplify quite a bit. I use my Galaxy S8+ with Audiofly AF140's however the sound quality isn't great and it's not very loud at max volume. I use them at the gym, mowing and on flights. They aren't a difficult load 17 ohms I think so the phone amp must be average at best.

https://www.audioquest.com/dacs/dragonfly/dragonfly-cobalt

< New, more advanced ESS ES9038Q2M DAC chip with a minimum-phase slow roll-off filter for more natural sound.

Microchip's superb PIC32MX274 microprocessor draws less current and increases processing speed by 33%.

Improved power-supply filtering that specifically increases immunity to WiFi, Bluetooth, and cellular noise.

Cobalt features the same ESS Sabre 9601 headphone amp and bit-perfect volume control that give DragonFly Red its unique combination of power and grip over the music. This solution ensures maximum fidelity, thrilling dynamic contrast, and excellent signal-to-noise ratio. The 2.1-volt output makes Cobalt and Red compatible with a wide range of headphones, including power-hungry, low-efficiency models. >

I love that John Darko YouTube review of the Audioquest Dragonfly Cobalt.

with him enjoying his coffee at the cafe outdoors. It’s a well made short video. So casual and yet informative.

I was influenced by watching and ended up getting the Audioquest Beetle DAC as well.

Im getting one too. Gonna sell my Dragonfly Red to help fund a portion of the current AUD $549 retail price.

Dont get stuck with old and outdated technology. That’s why I see many ads for the Dragonfly Red of late.

With the upgrade, it is now meant to sound a lot more smoother and refined and natural sounding. Slow roll off and more passive filtering.

https://www.audioquest.com/content/aq/pdf/dragonfly-spec-sheet.pdf

The DAC chip used in the Cobalt model has been upgraded.

which is the ES9038Q2M version.

but this dac chip model is below the ES9038PRO Sabre DAC by the same manufacturing company.

Hi, I am new to Stereo net, and even to the world of DAC's.  I am a owner of a Dragonfly Cobalt DAC for 4 days now.. Purchased specifically for using on Apple laptop as a source on my speaker project.  (see profile photo, complete 2 months ago)  OMG the sound improvement is very noticeable for me.  In my case it was worth the investment.  But then I guess this will depending on the headphone and speakers. 

I’d love a Cobalt after reading Darko’s comments and having used a Red every day during commuting and at work.

I certainly wouldn’t call the Red outdated. It still performs remarkably well and offers very noticeable improvements over nothing and the black. Add a Jitterbug and it gets even better.

I will be sticking with my Dragonfly Red for out and about and the Chord Mojo at home.