The Delmetics Play Live at the MAC

AGM

8pm Wednesday 17th July.

Willis Room, City of Whitehorse Offices
Maroondah Highway (Whitehorse Road), Nunawading
Melway Map 48 Ref G9

The Delmetics Play Live at the MAC

I would like to thank the Melbourne Audio Club for the opportunity to share in the release of The Delmatics self titled CD. The recording was started in August last year, and I played a couple of rough mix tracks to the club at the November 2018 meeting.

In 2010 I was invited to jam at a friend's 60th birthday party. Guitarist Stan Borysiewicz was part of the improvised band and the night was lots of fun. Inspired to perform again, I asked Stan if he would join me in forming a band. In January 2011 I asked Stuart if we could be like the Blues Brothers and "put the band back together". So we did in February 2011. Two drummers later, in January 2018, Rob returned to The Delmatics. A few months later Rob introduced us to his life-long friend Michael Zammit, owner and operator of Airwaves Studio in Altona Meadows. We started recording The Delmatics in August 2018.

We will set up with 4 Australian made Rode M2 condenser microphones into an Allen and Heath ZED24 Mixer driving a pair of JBL EON615 D class 15inch two way speakers. Because we are only using the PA for vocals, Bev will use only the first 4 channels. We use 8inch 2 way Skytech speakers on converted music stands for vocal fold-back.

Before we begin our performance, I will explain one of my other hobbies. I buy wrecked guitars, mostly from Cash Converters, and restore them. I buy an $80.00 wreck, spend up to $160.00 on restoration, keep it for a time and then sell it on for a small profit. I will show a recently modified Fender Stratocaster guitar that I am particularly happy with. It is a Mexican made Stratocaster with a set of US made Seymour Duncan pickups. It also has a couple of extra switches, used by Surf Guitar players to give extra versatility to the pickup combinations. Designed by radio repairman and electronics engineer, Leo Fender, the Stratocaster guitar is recognized by the Smithsonian Institution as one of the 20th century's most notable pieces of design. Great musicians like Hank Marvin, Jeff Beck, Eric Clapton, Dave Gilmour and more humble fans like myself were inspired to own a "Strat" by Buddy Holly. He was the first world-wide pop star to play the guitar on TV and feature it on record covers and promotional photographs. We were all impressed by the sound of Peggy Sue.

Part of every guitar set-up is adjusting the bridge under the strings so the intonation along the neck is accurate. To do this the bridge pieces are adjusted so that the harmonic played over the 12th fret gives an identical note to pressing the string down onto the 12th fret. The harmonic over the 12th fret is the 1st harmonic of that individual string and is exactly one octave above the original, or fundamental, note. In fact the 1st, 2nd and 3rd harmonics are all part of the major chord associated with the relevant string. The 2nd and 3rd harmonics can also be used for accurate relative tuning of a guitar. These particular harmonics are the same ones that are created as harmonic distortion in valve amplifiers. Because they are harmonious to the music played, many guitarists prefer to use valve combos because they add body to the sound. It also means that in hi-fi amplifiers a relatively small quantity of these harmonics doesn' detract from the listening experience.

The Delmatics now consists of myself on bass, Stuart Beatty on guitar, Stan Boryciewicz on guitar and guitar synthesizer and Rob Urban on drums. We are all vocalists, and are supported by Beverley as our manager and live sound engineer. We will demonstrate some of our rehearsal techniques before we present a performance of some of our regular repertoire including songs from our CD. I trust everyone finds the presentation and performance informative and entertaining.

Ian Hooper - Rockian Records - a division of Rockian Trading

Ken Tripp
Wise and Wonderful Webmaster
Melbourne Audio Club, Inc.

http://www.melbourneaudioclub.org.au

Edited by ArthurDent