Which new NOS DAC ?

I have just replaced my SB3 with a Touch, wow big improvement.

But I am getting annoyed with the top end roll off on my Peter Daniels, audiosector NOS DAC. I love the NOS sound, very analogue non fatiguing, but I want cymbals to sound more real.

Also I can't play high res files.

Any suggestions up to $1,500?

Cheers

Paul

Hmm, NOS HF roll off is something that is supposedly real and can be explained mathematically, yet something that I have never actually heard even doing AB switching between NOS and OS DACs I never hear the roll off! I got into a discussion with someone on another forum, and he insisted that there was a roll off, and I say even if there is, I cant hear it, so it is irrelevant.

So I ask you the question, have you done an AB comparison to see if you can "hear" the roll off, or have you just read that it exists, so are now perceiving something, that is pretty inaudible causing you to not enjoy your DAC anymore? I bet you can't hear it in an AB test :bump:

Ok, so lets ignore that for a second. Personally, I find that TDA1543 is not as detailed as TDA1541, and I have heard a few TDA1543 DACs and a few TDA1541 DACs.

I would suggest If you want to stick with NOS to try a TDA1541 DAC.

I dont have any particular suggestions for you if you want a fully built one in a case. there are plenty of TDA1541 DAC kits on ebay not in a case, some are kits and some already build boards, but rarely any in a case.

Next thing, with NOS yes you can play high res files. TDA1541 will play up to 172Khz files. Perhaps your digital receiver is not up to the job? Even TDA1543 which you have, should also play 172khz :P

http://cgi.ebay.com/96KHz-CD-DAC-PCB-parts-matched-8xPhilips-TDA1543-DAC-AH-/290533559886

the link above is a DAC on ebay, it is not a recommendation, but an example of TDA1543 doing 96khz @ 16bit.

So yes the TDA series of DAC will not do 24bit, but will do high sampling rates.

Edited by eltech

Oooh, 42/250. Nice. I used to have a 32.5/HI/250 myself.

Before dropping big cash on a new DAC, have you considered a change of interconnect? (I know you're probably "locked into" the NAC A5 so we'll assume that's not going anywhere!)

Thanks Mr Darko which interconnects do you suggest ? Mr tricka recommended the ansig coax cable and in the words of Ian Moss " he is not a man I care to defy".

In amongst all the dacs your have reviewed recently there must be some that have a NOS like character.

Hmm, NOS HF roll off is something that is supposedly real and can be explained mathematically, yet something that I have never actually heard even doing AB switching between NOS and OS DACs I never hear the roll off! I got into a discussion with someone on another forum, and he insisted that there was a roll off, and I say even if there is, I cant hear it, so it is irrelevant.

So I ask you the question, have you done an AB comparison to see if you can "hear" the roll off, or have you just read that it exists, so are now perceiving something, that is pretty inaudible causing you to not enjoy your DAC anymore? I bet you can't hear it in an AB test :confused:

Ok, so lets ignore that for a second. Personally, I find that TDA1543 is not as detailed as TDA1541, and I have heard a few TDA1543 DACs and a few TDA1541 DACs.

I would suggest If you want to stick with NOS to try a TDA1541 DAC.

I dont have any particular suggestions for you if you want a fully built one in a case. there are plenty of TDA1541 DAC kits on ebay not in a case, some are kits and some already build boards, but rarely any in a case.

Next thing, with NOS yes you can play high res files. TDA1541 will play up to 172Khz files. Perhaps your digital receiver is not up to the job? Even TDA1543 which you have, should also play 172khz :P

http://cgi.ebay.com/96KHz-CD-DAC-PCB-parts-matched-8xPhilips-TDA1543-DAC-AH-/290533559886

the link above is a DAC on ebay, it is not a recommendation, but an example of TDA1543 doing 96khz @ 16bit.

So yes the TDA series of DAC will not do 24bit, but will do high sampling rates.

The TDA1541 dac is still a 16bit 44-48khz dac. If you use a higher sample rate, the digital input chip like the CS, DIR9001 chips can accept higher res signals but they get downsampled if i'm not mistaken. Also, dacs have very little sound signature, its the analogue output stage that determines the sound signature of the dac. If you want a cheap and good implementation of a TDA154x based dac, look at the Teradak Chameleon, or Valab if you want to go cheaper. The Chameleon's design allows the end user to mod/tailor the analogue output stage to suit thier taste, ie: cap replacements etc..

The TDA1541 dac is still a 16bit 44-48khz dac. If you use a higher sample rate, the digital input chip like the CS, DIR9001 chips can accept higher res signals but they get downsampled if i'm not mistaken. Also, dacs have very little sound signature, its the analogue output stage that determines the sound signature of the dac. If you want a cheap and good implementation of a TDA154x based dac, look at the Teradak Chameleon, or Valab if you want to go cheaper. The Chameleon's design allows the end user to mod/tailor the analogue output stage to suit thier taste, ie: cap replacements etc..

With respect, you are mistaken. The input reciever will not downsample.

You are also mistaken that DAC chips have little sound signature. They have heaps. Not disputing that the output stage affects the sound in a big way also, but DAC chips do sound different.

FWIW I had the Valab, and hated it, but I love my TDA1541 DACs. :confused: