Help for a Newbie

Hi All, 

I am in the process of trying to complete my first basic setup and am a little lost as to what to get next. I currently have 2x Dynaudio DM 2/6 bookshelf speakers hooked up to a Denon AVR-X1400H and I am super happy with it, but I don't know what to pair it with (Sub-woofer first and Center in the near future)...

Budget is small (few hundred each) and would like to go second hand if possible..

What would you recommend? Is it OK to mix different brands into a setup?

Any advice appreciated!

Thanks 

Hi All, 

I am in the process of trying to complete my first basic setup and am a little lost as to what to get next. I currently have 2x Dynaudio DM 2/6 bookshelf speakers hooked up to a Denon AVR-X1400H and I am super happy with it, but I don't know what to pair it with (Sub-woofer first and Center in the near future)...
Budget is small (few hundred each) and would like to go second hand if possible..

What would you recommend? Is it OK to mix different brands into a setup?

Any advice appreciated!

Thanks 
I would start with a subwoofer, as it has the biggest audible impact.

Yes, a center speaker is important, (the most used speaker and not just for dialogue) but if your just watching in stereo I would wait until a complete setup.

Placement of a center speaker is important, as the center isn't just used for dialogue only. It is also used for panning effects and stereo effects for people sitting of axis and to close to the Left or Right speaker.

My self, I was always annoyed by it when you could clearly hear the sound coming from below or above the TV because of poor integration.

If clear dialogue is an issue at the moment, you might want to look for a center speaker first.
  • Like 1

New bought subs depreciate massively so there are very good used deals out there. As said above a sub is more important than a centre speaker as it underpins the ambience of HT sound movies and bass music.

Depending on size of room and age of sub you are Ok with something like an old Sony SAWM40 12 inch ported woofer with good reviews can be had for around $50-100 ($400 rrp new 15 years ago) they have good bass extension, punch and suit music as well.

Beware the plate amps in cheap quality and old subs fail with age regularly or have transformer hum or buzzing issues so make sure you listen before buying.

There is a good $1200rrp Mirage sub for $250 in Adelaide Gumtree.

Edited by Al.M

Thanks for the input guys, greatly appreciated! 

I ended up finding a Krix Seismix Sub located in Adelaide for a good price and also a Dynaudio Audience 42C center channel packaged with 2x Audience 42 Satellite speakers (for only a few hundred $$) to round out my full 5.1 setup. Luckily they match up very similarly to the DM 2/6's that i already own.

Safe to say that I am ecstatic with the sound quality of the setup and couldn't be happier!

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Viso said:

Thanks for the input guys, greatly appreciated! 

I ended up finding a Krix Seismix Sub located in Adelaide for a good price and also a Dynaudio Audience 42C center channel packaged with 2x Audience 42 Satellite speakers (for only a few hundred $$) to round out my full 5.1 setup. Luckily they match up very similarly to the DM 2/6's that i already own.

Safe to say that I am ecstatic with the sound quality of the setup and couldn't be happier!

Excellent. Getting the centre and rear speakers from the same brand was a good strategy from a sound matching perspective. How is the Kris sub working out for ya?

• Like 1