I don't get this.

My understanding of it... is you fill a bucket (buffer) with water the chip feeds off the bucket, providing the bucket never runs dry what does it matter if the data has been resent, it says resend last packet (I'll wait). Jitter is not a physical thing, it is the external timing of the bits, you can't save it/represent it, once the water is in the bucket it is not there anymore from upstream.
I tend to believe that a better cable, "does not have to be expensive" suffer less from resending of packets, more presise instant Audio signal.

But we have also the noise from computers and the volt cable.

Curious and cheap Supra deals with this, I believe Audioquest also.

To evaluate the DAC sound quality there's another problem child before that evaluation can begin....

The cable between the source and the DAC is essentially the transmission medium.

The source is a computer with a potential difference to ground, same as the DAC, also has a potential, but will be different to the source.

When a USB cable connects the two systems, the USB cable shield bonds the two systems together much the same as XLR type in analog audio. All is not the best, since with differing potentials of the source and receiver can and does cause a shield current to form. The potential in the first place is not just one frequency, but can be a 'few" extending into the MHz. 

If (and usually when) the USB cable shield is tied to the receiver's 0V system, there's trouble, since the return path for the differential signals in the USB (the black wire) is the same as the cable shield.

Depending on the cable, the level of attenuation of the potential frequencies will be different. If you replaced either the DAC or the source, the SQ can change also even if either is of 'equal' quality.

Computers are notorious for generating noise frequencies up to the stratosphere, and USB as it is is a perfect medium to couple this noise to the receiver. This is even before we can talk about what else is on the AC line contributing to further SQ degradation.

References  from Rane corp

Grounding and Shielding Audio Devices

SCIN: Shield Current Induced Noise

Hum, Buzz, & Ground Loops: New Insights into an Old Problem

So to stop the spread of noise, people have cut shields, black wires, isolated the 5V, used Intona like galvanic isolators , changed cables in an effort to avoid a digital ground loop.  It's all too variable & hard. Use Ethernet, AES3 or SPDIF coax/TOS instead. 

Edited by One and a half

57 minutes ago, One and a half said:

So to stop the spread of noise, people have cut shields, black wires, isolated the 5V, used Intona like galvanic isolators , changed cables in an effort to avoid a digital ground loop.  It's all too variable & hard. Use Ethernet, AES3 or SPDIF coax/TOS instead. 

I totally agree.

I totally agree.
Of course, I use well specced and built cables for this also.

But it's not all equipment that has other than USB.