Posted (edited)

It is not easy to get Hi-End sound quality from USB DAC. I mean the music you can listen with soulful feeling.

I use Luxman DA-100 and sometimes use Marantz PM7005 with DSD. Maybe it is the entry level devices. I still feel even entry level CD Player, the sound is better than the USB DAC.

Anyone agree or great opinion?

Edited by Believe1980s

I use USB for my DAC and believe I've never heard better digital anywhere.

3 minutes ago, Ittaku said:

You must have great experience on using USB DAC. What's  your setup?

Just now, Believe1980s said:

You must have great experience on using USB DAC. What's  your setup?

It's in my signature, but I also have a showcase thread:

5 minutes ago, Ittaku said:

It's in my signature, but I also have a showcase thread:

WOW! Master!

Not sure what you mean by USB DAC rather than your DA-100. Even your DA-100 has a USB input

29 minutes ago, mjs said:

Not sure what you mean by USB DAC rather than your DA-100. Even your DA-100 has a USB input

I believe what he means is the sound of music played via the USB input versus a CD transport.

3 hours ago, Ittaku said:

I feel the same way. My Aries is recommended by the manufacturer to run USB out, though it does also have Toslink, Coax and AES outputs. The only one of these that I have tried other than the USB was the AES and it was demonstrably lower in SQ than the USB. I use a 0.8m Curious USB cable to transfer the digits to my DAC. Works for me.

I believe what he means is the sound of music played via the USB input versus a CD transport.

Yes. That is what I mean. The rhythm, balance, airy sound is always coming from the CD player. Seems NOT for me when through USB while using the same amp and speaker. Of course, USB no problem to play great music and much flexible to transfer the songs from the computer. It just the feeling of hearing. I don’t know how to describe.

Yes. That is what I mean. The rhythm, balance, airy sound is always coming from the CD player. Seems NOT for me when through USB while using the same amp and speaker. Of course, USB no problem to play great music and much flexible to transfer the songs from the computer. It just the feeling of hearing. I don’t know how to describe.

I’m still not quite with you! I assume your preferred work flow is CD -> Amp then speaker. Is your non-preferred work flow a computer -> USB of the DAC -> amp/speaker?
In my case I quite like computer (MAC Mini) -> USB -> DAC -> Amp, In my case I even prefer CD digital out -> DAC -> Amp rather than the DAC stage of the CD player (in this case an Oppo 95) -> Amp. Sorry for the options.

10 hours ago, Believe1980s said:

It is not easy to get Hi-End sound quality from USB DAC. I mean the music you can listen with soulful feeling.

I use Luxman DA-100 and sometimes use Marantz PM7005 with DSD. Maybe it is the entry level devices. I still feel even entry level CD Player, the sound is better than the USB DAC.

Anyone agree or great opinion?

Its even more difficult if the USB DAC is USB powered.

I'm using a USB DAC (usb powered).  The output stage of the DAC has been rebuilt and its is powered seprately by linear supply with 2200uF close to the input.  This way its a winner.  Please note that a 2200uF of any sort on the power rails is not inline with USB standards.

don’t underestimate how much the quality of the USB cable can impact sound quality. I’ve had everything from Belkin Gold, to Curious Cable to Wireworld Starlight Platinum ... for me between my Aries and Devialet, the Wireworld Starlight Platinum USB was the best price/performance ratio ... everything else just felt dull and life less 

And conversely don't overestimate how much it can impact, being a digital medium. 

If I transfer a photo over a good USB cable will it appear better at the other end?

Posted (edited)

not sure if I feel like playing tonight ... but imagine if your DAC was a printer.... let’s say one that I dunno prints out high quality glossy photos. 

Now imagine your printer had a consistent rate at which it was outputting printed material from a spool of glossy paper ... let’s go crazy and say it’s printing out at 1 meter per second, constantly the same speed. 

If the data of the photo arriving at the printer was perfectly timed and consistent the printed photo would look perfect. Imagine if it arrived at irregular intervals, imagine how munted that photo would look. 

If no data arrived for say half a second you’d have half a meter of white blank photo, then when the second half of the data arrived all at once, the second half meter would be all squished up and totally munted... how ugly would that photo look?

thats what your usb cable is doing to your poorly reconstructed analog sound wave. DACs by definition are real time. The timing of when data arrives is utterly critical to the reconstruction in real time to a properly formed analog wave. 

USB (and coax) cables impact noise and jitter. They’re not digital mediums, the cables are analogue mediums. The reconstruction of that data from analogue via USB controller takes places when it detects a rise in voltage. An inconsistent delay in voltage rise detection causes delays in data packets to be delivered to the dac which then munts the reconstruction of your precious analogue sound wave. 

So yes. If your dac was a real time printer, the USB cable would affect the photo transfered (ie printed) to the point where it was completely unrecognisable. 

Edited by petersv

Nope, the USB Protocol and hardware is your problem not your cable. For non-isochronous traffic (in the vein of tcp/ip) it will be bit perfect but when you are isochronous a la UDP then it gets interesting... not factoring in buffers/caches to help etc, the cable at the end of the day...meh. 🙂

https://www.edn.com/design/consumer/4376143/Fundamentals-of-USB-Audio