Sign in to follow this  
OldVinylLover

Where can I buy valves in Australia?

1 minute ago, Red MacKay said:

Oops - Just noticed you are in Sydney.

That makes it a bit more dificult.

Elson Silva in Sydney might be the man to contact.  He is easy to get on with, has lots of tubes in stock and tests and guarantees everything he sells.

you are better than Google!!!!   :D

5 minutes ago, Red MacKay said:

Oops - Just noticed you are in Sydney.

That makes it a bit more difficult.

Elson Silva in Sydney might be the man to contact.  He is easy to get on with, has lots of tubes in stock and tests and guarantees everything he sells.

I know Elson sells Ruski tubes as a friend purchased some 6c33c tubes from him just last week.

Sorry, I have no contact details for Elson, but someone here will for sure.

I just buy my ARC valves from a Canadian retailer anyway. The price ends up being the same and they have a good matching service.

https://www.thetubestore.com/

Having said that, the 6H30p in the small signal usage as used by ARC don't need to be matched...

4 minutes ago, Ittaku said:

I just buy my ARC valves from a Canadian retailer anyway. The price ends up being the same and they have a good matching service.

https://www.thetubestore.com/

Having said that, the 6H30p in the small signal usage as used by ARC don't need to be matched...

I am afraid that you are right.... 🙃

21 minutes ago, Ittaku said:

I don't agree here at all.

If we are outlaying the likes of $12k for a pre, then I want my $35 tubes to be matched.  Yes, it does make a difference. (imho)  And ideally you want both halves of each tube to be reasonably close too - or what is the point of spending all that dosh in the first place!

It is very easy for differences in tube output to mount into a substantial channel to channel imbalance.  ie 5%here, 8% on the next stage, then another 5% and a futher 4%.  =22% difference in that channelto the other!

But no, not a matched quartet - matched pairs for each channel I believe is fine.

Life is too short for unmatched tubes!

Posted (edited)

That's not how matching for preamp tubes works... matching simply matches the two triode halves but doesn't alter the way they behave so it's not quite what you think the way power tubes are. I suggest you do more reading around that... But in fact if you really want a suitable set of valves for an expensive preamp, you should be buying small signal valves that are low noise and microphony more than anything else. There is only one supplier I know of that ranks them by noise and unfortunately they don't deliver to Australia;  Next time I'm getting the ARC select quality from them and getting a friend in the States to forward them onto me:

https://www.upscaleaudio.com/collections/preamp-tubes/products/russian-6h30pi

Edited by Ittaku

Am pretty sure arc would supply via their local agent ?

to op... buying valves seems to be bit of a minefield ... even if you buy supposed matched set as was  taking to red and guys on weekend it might turn out from reputable supplier with great feedback that theyre aren’t all that well matched and also got nothing as such left in them life wise ... even though supposedly new ... such is variation it seems in Valves ... even new .. thank goodness Ebay guy took his lot back !

yet i got a set from maker in my case and these were bang on ... perhaps they filter out the cr@p ?

however I too would rather find local legit valve source rather than playing Ebay lottery or buying direct from maker ?

as to pre amp tubes these should be good for a very very long time I’m suspecting ?

@Red MacKay is there a good affordable valve tester worth buying ???

5 minutes ago, betty boop said:

Am pretty sure arc would supply via their local agent ?

I've bought valves from ARC... They cost triple what it costs through even upscale audio.

3 minutes ago, Ittaku said:

I've bought valves from ARC... They cost triple what it costs through even upscale audio.

Upscale only sell to their local customers ... in any case pre amp tubes ? How often going to change those ? Twice in a life time ? Owned two arc phono pres .., I’ve changed over phono pres before having to change tubes :D ... tubes in current phono pre probably outlast me hehe 

Just now, betty boop said:

Upscale only sell to their local customers ... in any case ore amp tubes ? How often going to change those ? Twice in a life time ? Owned two arc phono pres .., I’ve changed over phono pres before having to change tubes :D ... tubes in current phono pre probably outlast me hehe 

Right well they say 4000-6000 hours on the small signal tubes in ARC gear. I do 2000 in a year so not everyone has the luxury of assuming they'll last forever.

Just now, Ittaku said:

Right well they say 4000-6000 hours on the small signal tubes in ARC gear. I do 2000 in a year so not everyone has the luxury of assuming they'll last forever.

Not sure I’ve seen them as quoted that low ... but in any case and 

still i understand  need of goodtubes ... surely whatever upscale or arc  is doing ... someone local can as well ?

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, betty boop said:

Not sure I’ve seen them as quoted that low ... but in any case and 

still i understand  need of goodtubes ... surely whatever upscale or arc  is doing ... someone local can as well ?

I'm sure they could, but the main thing you need is huge numbers of valves to stratify and match them the way they do.

Here's a snapshot from my power amp manual:

image.png.253c9ead328370223ef0e63a1c6ce61b.png

Different models say slightly different things, but that's for the small signal tubes in the power amps.

Edited by Ittaku

9 hours ago, Ittaku said:

That's not how matching for preamp tubes works... matching simply matches the two triode halves but doesn't alter the way they behave so it's not quite what you think the way power tubes are. I suggest you do more reading around that... But in fact if you really want a suitable set of valves for an expensive preamp, you should be buying small signal valves that are low noise and microphony more than anything else. There is only one supplier I know of that ranks them by noise and unfortunately they don't deliver to Australia;  Next time I'm getting the ARC select quality from them and getting a friend in the States to forward them onto me:

https://www.upscaleaudio.com/collections/preamp-tubes/products/russian-6h30pi

Hi Ittaku,

I guess that being low noise is one of the 6H30P, BAT and ARC started using them for this reason as far as I read.

Unfortunately not many manufacturers have them in their catalogue (Sovtek and EH mainly).

Of course it's fair to say that each tube has slight differences