Sign in to follow this  
THOMO

Nearly as old as me!My 1960s system

Posted (edited)

It is spreading!

Some nice systems there.

You might have noticed that I inverted the woofer and passive radiators in one pair of my SS30s so they are mirror imaged.

That probably does improve imaging but it is a tricky job because they are glued in and you risk pulling away some of the front baffle material [chipboard] with the driver frames as you pry them out.Best to try to cut as much glue between the frame and the baffle with something like a marking knife first.

Edited by THOMO

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, Steve M said:

You are welcome N, but gratitude must go to Thomo who was first to discover the Toshie spkrs, which belie their 1965 vintage having a passive radiator and tri-wiring. The SS-30 remind me of what is good about single driver point source speakers (Lowthers etc), but more full spectrum and not so quirky. They could do with deeper more powerful bass, but this might spoil their sense of speed I feel?

Steve.

Yes I agree they have a bit of the point source type sound to them but closer in sound to a Goodmans Axiom 80 than anything else I have heard.  Except the treble is much better [and probably bass is better too] .And those are selling for huge money nowadays[ $5700 for a pair here a while back]

Edited by THOMO