Nearly as old as me!My 1960s system

Trimax EL34 monoblock EL 34 power amps circa about 1968  feeding Toshiba SS30 speakers circa about 1965.

Some wonderful synergy here and the room suits the speakers.

The Toshibas can sound jaw dropping in the right system and room.They are best in a smaller room where they benefit from some bass room gain.They  are very efficient and sound lightening fast and dynamic and have superb imaging.

I really need to find a 1960s front end to complete the system I suppose.

IMG_0384.JPG

IMG_0386.JPG

IMG_0138.JPG

Edited by THOMO
  • Like 19
  • Love 1

5 minutes ago, Mendes said:

Stunning Jon , I remember these Toshiba’s with my 300B’s..... stunning with Lucinda Williams as I recall....:thumb:

Listening to The Best of Lou Rawls which sounds great.Some of those tracks were 1960s recordings.

And yes Lucinda Williams Live at Filmore is another good one.

• Like 2

I’ve heard that system at Thomo’s place in the past and it is incredibly good! It is fast, detailed and musical ...would teach a modern set up some important lessons.

Cheers,

Steve.

Edited by Steve M
  • Like 2

Oh yes !!!  I have the Toshiba SS30 speakers. Actually purchased a pair after reading the glowing report by Steve M on his blog. Agree totally. A beautiful sound. And they cost me next to nothing. I run them with valves in a second system (in a smallish room). And it easily rivals my main Solid State system, which cost at least 20 times the price.

Thank you Steve M.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nonagon said:

Oh yes !!!  I have the Toshiba SS30 speakers. Actually purchased a pair after reading the glowing report by Steve M on his blog. Agree totally. A beautiful sound. And they cost me next to nothing. I run them with valves in a second system (in a smallish room). And it easily rivals my main Solid State system, which cost at least 20 times the price.

Thank you Steve M.

You are welcome N, but gratitude must go to Thomo who was first to discover the Toshie spkrs, which belie their 1965 vintage having a passive radiator and tri-wiring. The SS-30 remind me of what is good about single driver point source speakers (Lowthers etc), but more full spectrum and not so quirky. They could do with deeper more powerful bass, but this might spoil their sense of speed I feel?

Steve.

Thank you Thomo for making the Toshiba discovery. A year or so back I was looking to re-create a Sixties style Room ( just the look and feel) for my second system. I was never intending to get great sound. Just a nice atmosphere. The SS 30's came my way and then for a front end, I added the Toshiba SR -510 turntable to get that feel and look. It's not quite as old as the speakers, but a match in quality. All surrounded with some nice Danish furniture and Tretchikoff prints from the sixties. It's a treat to look at. And as an absolute bonus,I got Audiophile quality sound as well.  So Thanks again Thomo and Steve.

DSCN1735.JPG

DSCN1737.JPG

DSCN1738.JPG

I got a pair this year as well again the blurb from @Steve Mhad me convinced they were something special no regrets here.

I sprayed the brown grills black with some fabric paint, to me they look better.

I run them with a Weston Topaz with KT77s the combo works a treat it still surprises how good these are.

IMG_0551.JPG

IMG_0552.JPG

IMG_0553.JPG

• Like 4

It is spreading!

Some nice systems there.

You might have noticed that I inverted the woofer and passive radiators in one pair of my SS30s so they are mirror imaged.

That probably does improve imaging but it is a tricky job because they are glued in and you risk pulling away some of the front baffle material [chipboard] with the driver frames as you pry them out.Best to try to cut as much glue between the frame and the baffle with something like a marking knife first.

Edited by THOMO
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Steve M said:

You are welcome N, but gratitude must go to Thomo who was first to discover the Toshie spkrs, which belie their 1965 vintage having a passive radiator and tri-wiring. The SS-30 remind me of what is good about single driver point source speakers (Lowthers etc), but more full spectrum and not so quirky. They could do with deeper more powerful bass, but this might spoil their sense of speed I feel?

Steve.

Yes I agree they have a bit of the point source type sound to them but closer in sound to a Goodmans Axiom 80 than anything else I have heard.  Except the treble is much better [and probably bass is better too] .And those are selling for huge money nowadays[ $5700 for a pair here a while back]

Edited by THOMO