Car Subs in Home theatre

Hi, I'm new to this site and I'm sorry if this topic has been covered before.   But can you guys please tell your thoughts on using a good brand of car audio sub ( eg. JL , Kicker ect. ) and making a custom box for Home Theatre ?

3 minutes ago, Only KLIPSCH said:

Hi, I'm new to this site and I'm sorry if this topic has been covered before.   But can you guys please tell your thoughts on using a good brand of car audio sub ( eg. JL , Kicker ect. ) and making a custom box for Home Theatre ?

Freq response ? Many are quite band limited which fine in a car audio rig and inherent limitations in such ...but would be inept in home ?

Which brand/model exactly are you thinking?

Most of the better quality JL's, Alpine, image Dynamics, Boston Acoustics etc should work fine, if you have the TS parameters someone should be able to model it for you in winISD etc

Thanks "Betty Boo" & "jamiebosco", appreciate the quick response... Im a bit of a fan of 'Kicker Solo baric', but I get what you mean by the bandwidth, the solo baric is rated at 20-100 ... im not too obsessed in getting into the single digits.

what do you guys think?.... any thoughts of a Car Sub to look into that can get lower that 20Hz perhaps?

The Kickers should work fine, there are some very good (and big!) Horn subs on AVS using the Kicker CVX woofs.  The Solo-Baric's are a solid design

The box design will play a HUGE part in getting good results

• Like 1

Guest rmpfyf

@Only KLIPSCH it really depends on the sub and what you want to do. T/S review is a good start.

Would suggest some SPL comp designs (like the Solobaric) are designed to make a lot of noise that isn't necessarily clean - they survive massive amounts of nonlinear travel to burp out some massive numbers in competition, but that's not necessarily music or HT. 

You'll probably tend towards some form of ported or bandpass/tapped horn design to get down low and loud at moderate power and without a ton of DSP. You could get away with a better result than Solobaric's at a reasonable price with a solid design - there's someone on stereonet making some serious TH's with older Alpine Type R's, I have a pristine pair of Cerwin-Vega 15's that pull serious HT numbers in ported boxes... etc. Plenty of choice out there. 

No worries mate, those are large ported boxes, tuned around 20hz

Google Marty subs, a full Marty or mini Marty with a 15" solo-baric would be an interesting build! 

Check out some of Neo Dan's "easy button" builds

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/1093893-easy-button-end-table-max-26-5-x-24-x-37-5-hwd.html

1 hour ago, rmpfyf said:

@Only KLIPSCH it really depends on the sub and what you want to do. T/S review is a good start.

Would suggest some SPL comp designs (like the Solobaric) are designed to make a lot of noise that isn't necessarily clean - they survive massive amounts of nonlinear travel to burp out some massive numbers in competition, but that's not necessarily music or HT. 

You'll probably tend towards some form of ported or bandpass/tapped horn design to get down low and loud at moderate power and without a ton of DSP. You could get away with a better result than Solobaric's at a reasonable price with a solid design - there's someone on stereonet making some serious TH's with older Alpine Type R's, I have a pristine pair of Cerwin-Vega 15's that pull serious HT numbers in ported boxes... etc. Plenty of choice out there. 

Hi @rmpfyf, which model Cerwin Vega's do you suggest, would you say away from the Car ones like the 'Stokers' or do you think they can still sound good?

1 hour ago, Only KLIPSCH said:

Thanks for all your help and time Jamie, really appreciate it..... do you have a link for the Alpine 15s that are for sale?

It was soundinmotion.com.au https://soundinmotion.com.au/product/alpine-sws-15d2/ but they are unfortunately discontinued now

You could contact peter at DeepHz.com.au and see if he still has any of the PSA 15" woofers he was selling for $200, one of the forum members here found the T/S parameters to help design the box too 

10 minutes ago, rmpfyf said:

@rmpfyf... Hmmm interesting and very tempting.... what do you think of this Amp? ... I dont know much about Class G/H 

https://djcity.com.au/product/behringer-km1700-pro-1700w-amplifier/?gclid=CjwKCAjw36DpBRAYEiwAmVVDMP87oiL0gKItFizHAhwFmWEMiV_kSFuDlurLGy3jZNd7Mi3wqWFbJxoCYdoQAvD_BwE

Guest rmpfyf

It will make noise. It’s not the last word in sound quality. If you’re going that route, suggest going second hand.

On 12/07/2019 at 11:27 PM, jamiebosco said:

You could contact peter at DeepHz.com.au and see if he still has any of the PSA 15" woofers he was selling for $200, one of the forum members here found the T/S parameters to help design the box too 

I called DeepHz about these a few months ago as I was keen on a pair but was told that they had all gone. 

SS