Sign in to follow this  
Souwalker

Turntable without Cover = Dust?

I normally lift the lid when I play and only cover when not in use.

Today I picked up Rega P3 with Soundsmith Otello cartridge. The tonearm needed spacers so the lid just made it but looks like it’s too close to the tonearm weight.

I’m thinking of not using the lid at all but concerned about building dust on the plinth, platter cover or even the tonearm.

What are your thoughts? I can change to a lower mass weight but it won’t be anytime soon. I prefer to spend the $ on a Groovetracer sub platter.

Thanks

You should be able to adjust the rear hinges on the cover, raising the cover a few mm off the plinth at the back, then it should work fine.

i did it with my rp3 and took only a few mins to get right.

i have photos somewhere i can send you if you PM me, otherwise a bit of work with a screwdriver should sort it out.

ive also ran the rp3 with no cover every now and then, i just put the stylus guard on. Weekly id wipe the platter mat down and it was fine

Did not realized the hinges can be adjusted. Will look tomorrow. Thanks

1 hour ago, Souwalker said:

I normally lift the lid when I play and only cover when not in use.

Can I suggest you:

• certainly put the lid on when you're not playing rekkids.
  • but remove it entirely, when you are.  (IE. don't just lift it.)

1 hour ago, Souwalker said:

I’m thinking of not using the lid at all but concerned about building dust on the plinth, platter cover or even the tonearm.

Dust falling when you are playing records is not an issue - so remove the lid when listening.  But of course, put the lid back on when vinyl is not being played.

Andy

Dust falling when you are playing records is not an issue - so remove the lid when listening.  But of course, put the lid back on when vinyl is not being played.

Andy

My problem is the spacers under the tonearm which have lifted the tonearm which seem
To touch the lid when closed. The lid seems to be touching the counter weight.

I don’t mind removing the lid when playing but the concern is using the lid when not in use.

I removed the cover, put a toothpick inside the hinge and replaced the cover,  just to raise it a bit when I fitted a 7mm platter mat on my LP12.

8 hours ago, Souwalker said:

My problem is the spacers under the tonearm which have lifted the tonearm which seem
To touch the lid when closed. The lid seems to be touching the counter weight.

I don’t mind removing the lid when playing but the concern is using the lid when not in use.

Aah, yes - sorry, S, I see the problem!  :(  Do you have a Rega arm (with the spacers)?

Maybe @wartman's trick with the hinges will work for you?  Otherwise ... can you get hold of a different c'weight for your am?  (You need one that has a smaller diameter - so, for the same weight, will have to be a longer cylinder.  Alternatively (and better) would be to get hold of an "underslung" c'weight ... this is one where the hole in it to fit on the arm stub is not in the centre of the circle but nearer the top.)

Andy

There's not much in a turntable that can actually be damaged by dust. It just looks bad, and can end up on your clean records, but it's easily removed.  I don't use turntable covers.  I keep  feather duster next to my turntables, and give them a dust before use. Occasionally I wipe them down with a microfibre cloth.  Just be careful of the stylus when dusting.

1 hour ago, aussievintage said:

There's not much in a turntable that can actually be damaged by dust. It just looks bad, and can end up on your clean records, but it's easily removed.  I don't use turntable covers.  I keep  feather duster next to my turntables, and give them a dust before use. Occasionally I wipe them down with a microfibre cloth.  Just be careful of the stylus when dusting.

They certainly don't like them, it's like a red flag to a bull...watch out for the reaction! :)

Posted (edited)

I had the same problem with my Rega P3-24 and non Rega counterweight. I  solved it by placing one small clear vinyl protector - below- on each corner of the TT.  The hinge is not fixed so is able to slide up when you close the lid. The lid just sits on them. Works perfectly.

I would never keep the up or on the TT when playing - always remove it and set aside. 

I think the smaller 8mm ones are best - but you get the idea.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/madico-10mm-clear-vinyl-protec-surface-saver-12-pack_p3970277

Edited by buddyev

4 hours ago, buddyev said:

I had the same problem with my Rega P3-24 and non Rega counterweight. I  solved it by placing one small clear vinyl protector - below- on each corner of the TT.  The hinge is not fixed so is able to slide up when you close the lid. The lid just sits on them. Works perfectly.

I would never keep the up or on the TT when playing - always remove it and set aside. 

I think the smaller 8mm ones are best - but you get the idea.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/madico-10mm-clear-vinyl-protec-surface-saver-12-pack_p3970277

Brilliant suggestion, Russ!  :thumb:  (You're not just a pretty face!  :lol: )

Andy