Audioshoppin

Price gap between amp and speaker.

3 hours ago, Al.M said:

There are better and cheaper potential speakers for the money than Dyn 30 at $12k such as VAF i66 & 93 by a long shot both full three way driver designs. The money saved can pump up the amp budget.

Not sure I would agree with this, though certainly room dependent, VAF i93 a totally different speaker at any rate and need a much bigger room than the contour 30.

Contour 30 is a fantastic speaker, incredibly transparent with fluidity through upper midrange and treble that VAF just can’t match from my experiences.

Do agree though with the general concept of hitting budget limits certainly worth considering coming down in price range of speaker to allow for more balanced system overall.

Posted (edited)

Thanks for all the feedback folks. I have enjoyed reading through your posts.  I have just spent the morning/afternoon auditioning the Dynaudio 30's. My initial reaction to the speakers as paired with the Musical Fidelity can be summed up in one word: unimpressive! They sounded bland, lacking both bass and dynamic range. I played various forms of music and none of them moved me, despite several different amps being used, including a pair of mono blocks. Sensing my disappointment, the shop assistant set up a pair of Sonus Olympica speakers. These had way more character than the Dynaudio's but still there was not enough there to have me grasping for my wallet. As I left the first shop I had a feeling that I had been wrong to spend so much time focussing on the Contour's, that is until I gave them a second listen at a different retailer, this time paired alongside an Electrocompaniet ECI 6D. It was as though the Amp breathed life into the Contours. Suddenly the sound opened up, the fidelity was unlike anything I have heard and the bass while subtle was present and articulate. The dealer has offered me a great discount too, shaving off about three and a half grand from the price. I am strongly leaning towards making the purchase though I still have some doubts. The system I heard was positioned in an acoustically treated room, and was running off an $8000 CD player. The cables were as thick as plumbing pipes too. My CD player is a Creek Evolution, not too shabby but a far cry from the CD player I heard at the shop. Furthermore my room has little by way of dampening so I fear that these speakers may lack bass in my home. I have a lot of thinking to do... but when I think about the detail and the warmth of the Countour's when paired with an amp that complimented them I think I may just follow through and buy them. They are certainly leagues above what I have now.

Edited by Audioshoppin

7 minutes ago, Audioshoppin said:

Thanks for all the feedback folks. I have enjoyed reading through your posts.  I have just spent the morning/afternoon auditioning the Dynaudio 30's. My initial reaction to the speakers as paired with the Musical Fidelity can be summed up in one word: unimpressive! They sounded bland, lacking both bass and dynamic range. I played various forms of music and none of them moved me, despite several different amps being used, including a pair of mono blocks. Sensing my disappointment, the shop assistant set up a pair of Sonus Olympica speakers. These had way more character than the Dynaudio's but still there was not enough there to have me grasping for my wallet. As I left the first shop I had a feeling that I had been wrong to spend so much time focussing on the Contour's, that is until I gave them a second listen at a different retailer, this time paired alongside an Electrocompaniet ECI 6D. It was as though the Amp breathed life into the Contours. Suddenly the sound opened up, the fidelity was unlike anything I have heard and the bass while subtle was present and articulate. The dealer has offered me a great discount too, shaving off about three and a half grand from the price. I am strongly leaning towards making the purchase though I still have some doubts. The system I heard was positioned in an acoustically treated room, and was running off an $8000 CD player. The cables were as thick as plumbing pipes too. My CD player is a Creek Evolution, not too shabby but a far cry from the CD player I heard at the shop. Furthermore my room has little by way of dampening so I fear that these speakers may lack bass in my home. I have a lot of thinking to do... but when I think about the detail and the warmth of the Countour's when paired with an amp that complimented them I think I may just follow through and buy them. They are certainly leagues above what I have now.

Bingo 

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Audioshoppin said:

Sounds like a very good start though, at least you have the amp speaker combo sorted, it should get easier from here on in to get the right combination of the rest of the components that have good synergy. 

It all can be fixed it just takes money. 

cheers Terry

Edited by TerryO

3 minutes ago, TerryO said:

Sounds like a very good start though, at least you have the amp speaker combo sorted, it should get easier from here on in to get the right combination that has good synergy. 

cheers Terry

Abolutely. My impression of the Dynaudio's is that they are indeed a wonderful speaker but seem quite fussy when it comes to amplification.

These are rather large amounts of cashola you are looking to invest Rick. 

I would be listening to every combination you can at the given combined price of amp and speakers. Unfortunately in our new economic structure there are less hifi shops in Melbourne but I would be visiting every one of them. You may stumble across something that suddenly changes your desires. I know a number of shops still carry some traded gear that might let you step up a level or two at the same price point. 

Again given the level of investment being considered  jumping a cheap flight to Sydney and hearing some further alternatives may result in an even more enjoyable combination. Second hand at this price point and given the crazy low prices being realised for great gear on SNA the world is your oyster. Obviously however this becomes more a game of throwing darts at a board if you have not previously heard the likely contenders.

As you are in Melbourne Rick I would be contacting @cazzesman post haste and checking out his SGR Cx4f active speakers, bargain priced and you don’t even need to worry about the speaker/amplifier question, all in one box! Costs nothing to find out if they will rock your world!

30 minutes ago, Ooogh said:

These are rather large amounts of cashola you are looking to invest Rick. 

I would be listening to every combination you can at the given combined price of amp and speakers. Unfortunately in our new economic structure there are less hifi shops in Melbourne but I would be visiting every one of them. You may stumble across something that suddenly changes your desires. I know a number of shops still carry some traded gear that might let you step up a level or two at the same price point. 

Again given the level of investment being considered  jumping a cheap flight to Sydney and hearing some further alternatives may result in an even more enjoyable combination. Second hand at this price point and given the crazy low prices being realised for great gear on SNA the world is your oyster. Obviously however this becomes more a game of throwing darts at a board if you have not previously heard the likely contenders.

Short of buying a new house is there any other purchase with as many permutations, variables, and potential pitfalls, as Hifi? 

4 minutes ago, Audioshoppin said:

Short of buying a new house is there any other purchase with as many permutations, variables, and potential pitfalls, as Hifi? 

Racing anything with an engine

7 hours ago, wen said:

@blakey72 made the comment in a cartridge review, his second system is way better in sound than the sum of it's components, you can sometimes get the synergy right without trying too hard

Absolutely. You can have an amazing sounding system for not a lot of cash. You just have to get it right. Spend all the money you like on amps, speakers, turntables but if it doesn't stick it doesn't stick. My Sansui au-4900/Usher S520 combo is another that has no place sounding like it does. Ushers, slightly bright, Sansui slightly warm, lots of current, it just works.

I think personally as audiophiles we sometimes can look too deeply into price/brand when we should really be looking at what works, has worked for others.  Also I think you can get into the second hand trap. This and that are bargains so let's get them and stick them together, I know I've done this in the past. 

I think you have to set your sights on what you want to achieve too, with what budget you have. I think it's easy to blow out a budget thinking this will much much more difference when in fact it may only make 5% difference. Is it really worth the many extra $$$.

I might be wrong but just thought I'd give you all my thoughts.

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, Audioshoppin said:

Surely the speaker, being the only component you actually hear must come first? I admit I am not technically minded when it comes to Hifi, I am just a bloke who loves his music so I may be wrong, but if I am I'd be interested to know why (preferably in laymans terms)

Actually no, from my experience it is the attenuation and power amplification which comes first, followed by the source component and finally the speakers. 

The layman's terms reasons are akin to building a house, the bricks being the source component, the straightness of the walls, foundations and structure being the 

attenuation and the amplification, and the furniture inside, being the speakers.  

Edited by stereo coffee

36 minutes ago, Audioshoppin said:

Maybe finding a Mrs 🤣

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, POV said:

VAF just can’t match from my experiences.

The later VAF I66 and 93 tweeters are no slouches using top end Seas Excel T29MF001 magnesium diaphragm units about $500 a piece flanked by twin dedicated 4 inch Seas excel magnesium midrange units would beat many 2.5 way speakers in the midrange, coherence, detail and imaging department.

http://www.seas.no/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=372:e0047-04-t29mf001&catid=50&Itemid=360

0C8A2E28-8964-477A-828C-8E1A8BAB6A4B.jpeg

6DFB60BA-3824-4785-AFF2-D93A3467E3D1.jpeg

2DBC47FD-ED3B-47E1-B1C2-6AE6779CA7D7.jpeg

Edited by Al.M

5 hours ago, Audioshoppin said:

If you do go forward with new Speakers/Amp, I would definitely factor in for a new CD Player down the track. Quality Source is super important.

Guest Music monster

source is the start of the music chain and is actually the most critical , the old saying rubbish in rubbish out .gary the music monster 🎶

3 minutes ago, initforthemusic said:

If you do go forward with new Speakers/Amp, I would definitely factor in for a new CD Player down the track. Quality Source is super important.

1 minute ago, Music monster said:

source is the start of the music chain and is actually the most critical , the old saying rubbish in rubbish out .gary the music monster 🎶

Absolutely, Gary.