Price gap between amp and speaker.

I am interested in purchasing a pair of Dynaudio Contour 30's but have never owned 4 ohm speakers and I must admit to being a little concerned about pairing them with a capable amplifier. A dealer has suggested powering the speakers with a Musical Fidelity M6si. The amp is powerful enough (on paper) but it is priced at less than half that of the Dynaudio's. I am going for an audition tomorrow and while I would love to spend less on amplification, I am reluctant to do so at the expense of sound quality or, perhaps more importantly the longevity of my equipment. I would hate to blow these 4 ohm speakers with an amp that is not fit for the task. 

Thanks for reading, and an even bigger thanks for any replies.

Edited by Audioshoppin

Guest Music monster

I believe the better the pre,power and source The better the sound thru any speakers.buy the best you can afford. Gary the music monster ?

The Dynaudio 30 aren’t such mega behemoth speakers that you need to worry about, instead fairly simple 2.5 way three driver design in a conventional box design sense so most real world amps with enough will do.

MF info 

Internal build the MF looks light on, howabout something like a Yamaha AS2100 with great reviews and heavier internal build quality from appearances if it means anything.

C38736A7-DE62-4972-897C-C5692294BF5B.jpeg

Edited by Al.M
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Note the sizable minority in that thread suggesting closer to an equal spend on Amp and Speakers. 

Somewhere in that range seems right - ie Amp valued somewhere over 1/2 the cost of the speakers.
In my opinion it is a mistake to spend less - the Amp is more important than many realize.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Janjuc said:

Hi Audioshoppin,

Have a look here,   https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/ratios-of-spending-for-a-sound-system.662854/

Most suggest the following breakdown for a system, 50% speakers. 20% amplification. 20% source. 10% cables, power other accessories.

JJ

Thanks for the link. Interesting reading indeed.

I guess the proof will be in the pudding - as they say. I will be hearing the Dyno's paired with the Music Fidelity amp tomorrow and will happily report my opinion on this here thread for those interested... My main concern is not so much how the combination will sound, as this can be easily deduced, rather it all boils down to the potential of blowing my speakers on an amp that may not be equipepped to handle the load of an $ 11,000 4 ohm speaker.

51 minutes ago, n0bleINtP said:

Note the sizable minority in that thread suggesting closer to an equal spend on Amp and Speakers. 

Somewhere in that range seems right - ie Amp valued somewhere over 1/2 the cost of the speakers.
In my opinion it is a mistake to spend less - the Amp is more important than many realize.

Indeed. I can spend more but the temptation to spend less remains. Another amplifier I have on my radar is the electrocompaniet ECI 6D. This amp will add a couple of thousand dollars to the price though, but if the Music Fidelity does the same or similar job for less...

4 minutes ago, Audioshoppin said:

. My main concern is not so much how the combination will sound, as this can be easily deduced, rather it all boils down to the potential of blowing my speakers on an amp that may not be equipepped to handle the load of an $ 11,000 4 ohm speaker.

The potential of speaker damage due to a 4 ohm load for a MF M500i is zero. THis amplifier will drive just about any speaker made to its full potential. I have to admit to being shocked that you would even have a shred of doubt.

• Like 2

Once I started spending more on the amps than the speakers my systems went to a whole new level.  Most systems I hear these days are average at best, mostly because the amplification is grossly inadequate.    

• Like 5

56 minutes ago, Al.M said:

The Dynaudio 30 aren’t such mega behemoth speakers that you need to worry about, instead fairly simple 2.5 way three driver design in a conventional box design sense so most real world amps with enough will do.

MF info 

Internal build the MF looks light on, howabout something like a Yamaha AS2100 with great reviews and heavier internal build quality from appearances if it means anything.

C38736A7-DE62-4972-897C-C5692294BF5B.jpeg

Just now, rantan said:

The potential of speaker damage due to a 4 ohm load for a MF M500i is zero. THis amplifier will drive just about any speaker made to its full potential. I have to admit to being shocked that you would even have a shred of doubt.

Thanks for the reply but the amp in question is not the Musical Fidelity M500i, rather it is the M6si. 

Most decent amps will handle a 4 ohm load
If the PS is fat enough then all is safe
If the amp can't handle the higher current then it will be obvious as the power tranny will get hot
Remember as the load resistance goes down the amp wants to deliver more current
If the PS can't supply it just heats up and even less current can be drawn
It will sound terrible

• Like 3

Just now, Audioshoppin said:

Thanks for the reply but the amp in question is not the Musical Fidelity M500i, rather it is the M6si. 

Ok apologies for that . However the M6si wil also drive the Dyns in its sleep. A 4 ohm impedance is not big deal.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Peter_F said:

Once I started spending more on the amps than the speakers my systems went to a whole new level.  Most systems I hear these days are average at best, mostly because the amplification is grossly inadequate.    

I could not agree more Pete.

This is a result of the speaker first philosophy, which is just plain wrong.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Audioshoppin said:

I am interested in purchasing a pair of Dynaudio Contour 30's but have never owned 4 ohm speakers and I must admit to being a little concerned about pairing them with a capable amplifier. A dealer has suggested powering the speakers with a Musical Fidelity M6si. The amp is powerful enough (on paper) but it is priced at less than half that of the Dynaudio's. I am going for an audition tomorrow and while I would love to spend less on amplification, I am reluctant to do so at the expense of sound quality or, perhaps more importantly the longevity of my equipment. I would hate to blow these 4 ohm speakers with an amp that is not fit for the task. 

Thanks for reading, and an even bigger thanks for any replies.

You will have no issues driving .... at all ...

the design is just an an iteration of original a5 integrated. Something I’ve used to drive some 22k speakers. Also heard some b&w 802Ds they drove pretty well. Can always do better... eh their pre pwr version or for matter if want a bargain the next model integrated up in the m6500i that’s in the classifieds at only $3300 is half price or less it retails at.

these are not light on amps. Conservatively rated given power claims and power supply. Gutsy refined, clean and clear doing great in sound stage clarity and across the freq range ...

Try to compare a few different amps when you go in. Good stores will be happy to do this for you. 

Like a few above, my experience has been that you need to find an amp that runs the speakers to their potential and a general rule is this is more expensive but not always. 

I used to install far greater amps on speakers to see their full potential then go down in amps from there. Only then do you know if you're missing a lot or a little. 

• Like 3

Just now, rantan said:

I could not agree more Pete.

This is a result of the speaker first philosophy, which is just plain wrong.

Surely the speaker, being the only component you actually hear must come first? I admit I am not technically minded when it comes to Hifi, I am just a bloke who loves his music so I may be wrong, but if I am I'd be interested to know why (preferably in laymans terms)

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, rantan said:

Ok apologies for that . However the M6si wil also drive the Dyns in its sleep. A 4 ohm impedance is not big deal.

Absolutely ... that is no question.

only question for op with any amp and speaker combo is whether it is to their taste ... something only they can answer.

only month two ago I went in demo what is a bit favourite if amp for my 2nd system with my brand speakers soon knew while favourite fir others just not my thing. Ended up buying something else found was instead right up my alley...

5 minutes ago, Audioshoppin said:

Surely the speaker, being the only component you actually hear must come first? I admit I am not technically minded when it comes to Hifi, I am just a bloke who loves his music so I may be wrong, but if I am I'd be interested to know why (preferably in laymans terms)

People at times do over invest in speakers .... speakers first then left with insufficient to do speakers ever justice in amp department ....

personally i see speakers and amp a combination ... have to do both justice... 

• Like 2

I have owned the same pair of mid range JM Lab (focal) floor standers for 20 years, during which time they have been powered by an ME850, a teac a-h500i (mini sized amp stop gap during a non audio focused period of my life), and more recently a nuvista 600. The better amps give so much more grip to the sound, which even seems present when played at low volumes. There is an effortlessness to the sound of a great amp that you miss when it is not there.  So I guess I have gone the other way. (I can’t promise that a new set of speakers aren’t on the wish list)

Justin

• Like 3

Here is impedance plot of your Contour 30 (source: https://www.hifi-voice.com/testy-a-recenze/reprosoustavy-podlahove/1494-dynaudio-contour). 

Quote (via google translation):

Behaviour to the amplifier can not be described as Contour 30 other than trouble-free - eventually, although the impedance (red) "licks" in a relatively large range of 3 ohm, a good amplifier to this price level of the speakers should probably do without hesitation.

My take? If the amp can drive 3 ohm without clipping, you shouldn't have any issues. My pass experience tells me Dyns love a bit of juice (current) to perform the best. Price ratio between speakers and amp is only very general guide, not an absolute. Trust your ears. :)

2017-10-06-TST-Dynaudio-Contour-30-m2.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Audioshoppin said:

Musical Fidelity M500i, rather it is the M6si.

Anyway not massively different between the two the 6 has 50w more power but same design internally see below pics

19C7F2ED-A926-4388-8334-7CF14BDD5FBB.jpeg

15 minutes ago, Sirmorebeer said:

Price ratio between speakers and amp is only very general guide, not an absolute. Trust your ears

This is a very good point ... I’d hesitate with using price purely as guide ... not all brands are “priced” the same or deliver same value for price. Heck even same brand product can find some stuff better value in range than others.

a lot of factors in price. A local brand amp I use is far better value and priced better than some imported stuff that sells here at twice the price as in their home country ...  just because something sells here at twice what it should doesn’t make it twice as good a product !! :D Instead it’s probably only worth half in value what it is ... here !

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I don’t know what talking about as there is no m500i. He is likely talking m6500i it’s a very differently fish and priced appropriately up. Significantly up :) as @rantan correctly stated I don’t think be any issue in the m6500i  driving just about anything. Or with m6i driving the dyns... only question is whether combo is to taste ... that’s for op to decide ...

I don’t know if have experience with regards either Amps both are very capable ...

12 minutes ago, Al.M said:

Anyway not massively different between the two the 6 has 50w more power but same design internally see below pics

19C7F2ED-A926-4388-8334-7CF14BDD5FBB.jpeg

• Like 3

The right amplifier for your speakers is paramount. I happily spend more for the correct amplifier than speakers. The difference an amplifier that has the right synergy with your speakers can totally transform a speakers performance. Get it wrong and many a good speaker is sold on with the owner blaming the speakers  performance. 

Just last  night we partnered a pre/ power combination worth about 15k new with a pair of old Gale 401 c’s you can pick up for about $1,100 to produce a sound that happily competed with a pair of Avant Garde Duo’s.

Where you spend your hard earned in the chain is not the important question, the end result is what a system is judged on. You just don’t know the end result until you try different speaker and amplifier combinations.  The absolute best thing you can do is make lots of friends on SNA, hold and visit as many GTG’s as you can and haul amplifiers around to try in different systems. Here in SA we are lucky enough to have a mob of us who do this regularly and it continues to produce surprising results on a constant basis. 

• Like 8