Cable Spaghetti Help

Being an audio visual and technology fan, one tends to have many devices and of course lots of cables to go along with it.

So in my listing/watching entertainment unit i have a mess of cables behind. I tried once before to reorganize and manage them better but it's still a disaster back there and over time i have added and removed devices making it even more of a mess, not to mention the potential for interference between cables etc. due to coils. 

Therefore i believe that the best course of action is to pull every cable out and start over. 

So my question is would it be best making all cables custom myself to the exact lengths? As to remove all excess. If so is there like a universal type of connection method? Or am I going to have to buy a termination tool for each type of connection? ie. Hdmi, usb, rca, power, ethernet etc. 

Or is there some better way to organize cables that I'm overlooking? 

What do you do to organize your cables? Or is it out of sight out of mind type thing? 

Thought i would ask you guys before i started researching about cables and connectors and the tools to terminate said cable's/connectors. 

Thanks in advance. i will now commence the Googles while i await your replies ?

• Haha 1

so after a few hours of Googleing looks like finding the hdmi connectors is going to be a challenge, or any connectors for that matter. I can find a few solder on hdmi connectors, but not any idc type ones that you just put the wires in and crimp which splices in, this type make a better more reliable connection without introducing unnecessary resistance. 

i just assumed that the connectors where like ethernet cables but obviously it's not a easy for other cable types grr back to the drawing board. 

is there perhaps someone like an electrician that comes around and does all the av wiring for you? at a cost obviously 

Do a rough connections first and group the cables in functional bunches.

One would be power, another RCA/XLR audio signal, yet another high speed data like HDMI and ethernet.

See what lengths you need for each and then buy them.

This is how mine ended up looking like:

Okablowanie-Final2.thumb.jpg.c028e7ad9d56b4ca6eecc1ef6398f686.jpg

I left a bit of slack to facilitate movement for working on them (connecting / disconnecting new things):

Okablowanie-Pre-final.thumb.jpg.859211d5b94e9de11c732f2425799c10.jpg

Terminating RCA/XLR/power/ethernet is easy but not so for HDMI or USB as there is a limited selection available.

Power cables are available in 0.5m, 0.75, 1m and multiples of those for less than $1 a piece.

So are ethernet cables.

HDMI cost about $5 to $10 depending on length.

These are wholesale prices and if you cannot access them, become friends with someone who can. Like any electrician and or computer tech.

Hope it helps.

Roman

• Like 3

Just buy the cables too difficult to make, such as HDMI.  Go for exact lengths, plus enough to move equipment because you always seem to need to get to it!  Nothing worse than holding a 25kg amp and then realising you've run out of slack.

I just use velcro ties and as @rockeater said, group by use.

• Like 1

When I had both my HT and stereo sharing the mains and subs, it was an absolute nightmare.  I use Cable Buddies to tag both ends of cable and tie up slack.  Not cheap but they make life simpler especially when you take things in and out when re-organising the setup.  

https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Buddy®-5-pack-Black-Organizer-x/dp/B00288OOQI

I have since separated the systems and drastically simplified the stereo setup.  That is one way to get rid of spaghetti junction. 

Edited by Snoopy8
Typo
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Kaynin said:

Just buy the cables too difficult to make, such as HDMI.  Go for exact lengths, plus enough to move equipment because you always seem to need to get to it!  Nothing worse than holding a 25kg amp and then realising you've run out of slack.

I just use velcro ties and as @rockeater said, group by use.

yeah, those velcro ties are handy i bought a heap last time i tidied the cables up. 

21 hours ago, Snoopy8 said:

When I had both my HT and stereo sharing the mains and subs, it was an absolute nightmare.  I use Cable Buddies to tag both ends of cable and tie up slack.  Not cheap but they make life simpler especially when you take things in and out when re-organising the setup.  

https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Buddy®-5-pack-Black-Organizer-x/dp/B00288OOQI

I have since separated the systems and drastically simplified the stereo setup.  That is one way to get rid of spaghetti junction. 

i might get some of those cable buddies they look pretty good. 

• Like 1

https://firstchoicecomms.com.au/product/velcro-25m-roll-19mm/

Cheapest way to buy velcro for wrapping cords - you can cut to any length required, rewrap as required. Fix to cabinets with screws etc. Can be purchased at many computer cable/electrician suppliers.

@Sentient has a good project underway which may offer some ideas

However neatly you organise your cables, eventually you will need to remove something in the future.  I label every cord/plug/interconnect with a tagged cable tie.  It makes it much easier to identify what is what.  Wallwarts are labelled using white electrical tape, biro and texta writes on it ok.

pack-of-25-write-on-label.jpg

• Like 1

21 hours ago, keyse1 said:

Can’t see a single cable from where I sit

Well 1

well neither can i but, i know they are there haha. 

anyway here are some pictures of my war zone ?

IMG_20190712_151136.thumb.jpg.a317bb800620cc975b465217a0424455.jpg

IMG_20190712_151052.thumb.jpg.8c5becd4f9ee5a30d353f0d3bda8eba5.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

While on this topic, I've heard it's generally a no no to run signal cable and power cables in parallel due to EMI.

Is it then OK to run multiple power cables bunched together? Bear with me guys, I'm no Electrical engineer

42 minutes ago, spamnoj said:

While on this topic, I've heard it's generally a no no to run signal cable and power cables in parallel due to EMI.

Is it then OK to run multiple power cables bunched together? Bear with me guys, I'm no Electrical engineer

As far as I'm aware it's OK to bundle all power cables together, and it's OK to bundle all the signal cables together. But not OK to bundle power + signal cables together. 

But note that I'm not an electrical engineer either!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
Guest vagabond

c226a68a-c75d-4ff6-81b6-367bfbf11f33.jpg

https://www.bunnings.com.au/cobra-assorted-cable-tie-tube-1000-pack_p4430496

I bought a couple of white Solidsteel racks on special (https://www.selby.com.au/brands/solidsteel/solidsteel-s5-5-hi-fi-rack.html) and the long white ties are perfect for tying cables to the rear of the rack. Cheaps as chips and can just cut them off and replace them if necessary.  The ties that is , not the racks, which are not cheap as chips