Conrad

FS: TRAM 2 DHT PREAMP

Posted (edited)

Item: Tram 2 DHT Preamp
Price: $2000 PICKUP ONLY Please
Item Condition: Very good......now
Reason for selling: Raising funds
Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, Bank Transfer.
Extra Info: This example has been rebuilt so that it is now electrically safe and functioning as it should by a very competent technician,

The cost of repairs was in the order of $582 a receipt can be supplied on request.

The Tram had  issues. A number of dodgy mods including caps held in with blue Tac, useless noisy fans and more.

It was electrically unsafe as in potentially fatal!!

I was left with no option but to have it repaired (rebuilt) I could go on but I wont.

I have learnt from this experience.

My loss is your gain.

The good news: included are 2 X Emission Labs Limited edition Globe 45's never to be made again apparently. 

1 x Emission Labs 274B rectifier.

These tubes alone are worth over $1000

I will also include a pair National Union 45's.

It also has a new Logitech remote. Does volume up/down only

There is a scratch on the transformer cover

Auditions welcomeIMG_0101.thumb.jpg.a2618fbe06c1b8243775aa2b6e6bbd4e.jpgIMG_0097.thumb.jpg.c81a853432f8ce2e889fc584648c93c0.jpgIMG_0096.thumb.jpg.d916ab7902350a46b36cd138fcecf501.jpg/IMG_20181219_183010.jpg.957eec746d24643181d305e5b17cc331.jpgIMG_0103.thumb.jpg.80fca7792d34adf4fe65fb827ed2eaa2.jpgIMG_0102.thumb.jpg.5c176bdbbd4b5b632afc70ff0b48474b.jpg

The photo above shows the preamp after all the work.

Lowballers yes you. I will laugh in your face and spit on your grave(perhaps a little harsh) and also ignore you...... so don't even try!!!

I'm a bit over it.

I will donate after sale to this fine establishment.

Thanks for looking.

Below one of the useless noisy fans removed.The original design doesn’t use fans!
 IMG_20181220_181113.jpg.29a25a8e3d0b0700111b6ed5292211c8.jpg
Photos:

Edited by Conrad
Text and photo

Funny what a quick Google search will reveal.    :)      Kudos for the repairs, and GLWS.   

As a very happy tram2 owner, these pres sound fantastic, when they are not stuffed around with by people who don’t have a clue!!

Whoever has rebuilt it has done a great job, by looking at the original photos!!!

Posted (edited)

Thanks guys. The tech guy actually bought another Tram 2 so he could work out the circuit. It had been that molested. He showed me a lump of Blu Tac the size of a lemon that he removed from inside it!! He had it for a few months before he was satisfied that it was running perfectly. 

Edited by Conrad

Posted (edited)

There is a bit of history around Trams and especially this one. This looks like one of the first Trams I assembled and modified so it can work at 250V Oz voltage. This was way before the Colleman regulators were designed. The issue was with the heater PSU that were overheating due to the insufficient cooling that the original design had. I used to add extra heat sinks but definitely not fans (god forbid). With this mod the amp was working fine with 45 valves while 2A3s were still causing a lot of instability and problems over time (2A3s pull 5A from the heater PSU while 45s use 2.5A). 

This Tram was fully functional before it was sold by the original owner to someone who decided to do a "better" job in modding it further - hence the fans and the blutac. Mind you, there is nothing wrong in using blutac as long the caps are also supported by copper tape or cable ties. The case temperature gets very high and using hot glue is not possible while silicone is always messy. I can see that Colleman regs were also installed at some stage which is the only way to make these amps work reliably. The final layout and repair looks very clean and functional. 

Although that this is by far one of the best sounding pre-amps out there, a new owner should know that this baby needs some TLC from time to time to perform at its best. Biasing will eventually drift out of the optimal range since the self-biasing circuit was never designed to be absolutely stable. Re-biasing requires the amp to be open and adjusted by someone who knows how to do it and that is trained to operate 275V HT line inside.   

BTW - $2K for the whole package is just an insanely low price. 

Edited by Decky

Thanks for your input Decky. Your post has given me some information I wasn’t aware of. You would have more knowledge of the preamps than anyone else on this forum. Since the rebuild there are no issues with heat. It gets slightly warm not hot. It is also very quiet now. I will show the next owner how to bias it also. This preamp bettered a modified Shindo Aureges preamp. It sounds very good indeed.