kukynas

Purifi 1ET400A new range of class D amp modules

basically refined Ncore modules from Bruno Putzeys and his mates, for sure we'll see companies implementing same tech with either OEM modules or complete integration (Lyngdorf)  

imageedit_22_8263202868-e1556786568381.jpg.50eec1ebf2c83af35289c3b3489c13e5.jpg

https://www.purifi-audio.com/eigentakt/

more importantly independent measurements from Amirm

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/review-and-measurements-of-purifi-1et400a-amplifier.7984/

Posted (edited)

Very nice, available in the 4Q of 2019

i have a soft spot for Bruno Putzey’s products 

Edited by Addicted to music

Don't think it is accurate to say it is a "refined NCore"; obvously some similarities, but not the same board. 

Part of the idea of Purifi is to also sell matching speaker drivers so that the whole system will have vanishingly low distortion.

I suggest reading the Q&A over at Audiophile Style. which goes deep into the technical aspects of Class D and Purifi. 

Agree, I should have used different wording coz it’s really new tech not just update of the ncore module, plenty of info on the net for those interested including diyaudio forum

Posted (edited)

Well if you are able to visit the Melbourne HiFi show in November you will be able to hear them in action in room 1207 ;)

Edited by March Audio

Have to say the Purifi 1ET400A sounds fabulous very crudely set up on the test bench here 
😀

IMG20190722202911.thumb.jpg.f8a83a92841edf440086fa20d3317e8b.jpg

Nice! Hearing lots of positive reviews. Be interested to see how they compare to the highee end hypex offerings 

8 hours ago, Suopermanni said:

@March Audio Any plans to integrate the Purifi modules in a product?

Of course. :)

Available in October. 

Posted (edited)

Purifi 1ET400A new range of class D amp modules

With an rca input impedance of just 2.2k (stupid) be very mindful of what you drive it with, many tube and all passive preamps would be a no go with this.

Can't fathom why they make Class-D so low, what's wrong with 100kohm that anything can drive.

The only explanation I can come up with, is they have subwoofer amps on their minds when designing, that usually have very long interconnect to it to help keep the noise down.

Cheers George 

Edited by georgehifi

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, georgehifi said:

With an rca input impedance of just 2.2k (stupid) be very mindful of what you drive it with, many tube and all passive preamps would be a no go with this.

Can't fathom why they make Class-D so low, what's wrong with 100kohm that anything can drive.

The only explanation I can come up with, is they have subwoofer amps on their minds when designing, that usually have very long interconnect to it to help keep the noise down.

Cheers George 

The input impedance is entirely dependant on the input buffer.  The number you are quoting is the single ended input impedance of the module without buffer. Its 4.4kohm differential. That's not the input Z that a consumer will see.  The amp designer can chose whatever buffer input impedance they like. 

However, the choice is a compromise.  All things being equal a lower input impedance (lower value input/feedback resistors) will lead to a lower noise level.  So it's not stupid, it's about design choices. 

So would I compromise the amp noise levels just to suit a possibly small section of the market with a passive or tube pre?.......... Mm mm..... 

Edited by March Audio

35 minutes ago, March Audio said:

Of course. :)

Available in October. 

Ahh, cool! Any idea of what the output power would be of the product? I'm not after something ridiculously powerful.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, March Audio said:

So would I compromise the amp noise levels just to suit a possibly small section of the market with a passive or tube pre?.......... Mm mm..... 

No compromise nearly all tube power amps and most solid state are over 50k input with no noise penalty.

Not to rain on your parade, but many more owners prefer tube preamps with Class-D amplification if they can impedance match wise, which most are SE (rca) output. To miss out sales to those and others with passive preamps I do consider a bad judgment call.

And with today's high output level sources up to 10v why put another buffer stage in front of this, your 13db of gain is enough with the added gain of most preamps and the high level sources added to it. 

Cheres George

Edited by georgehifi

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, georgehifi said:

No compromise nearly all tube power amps and most solid state are over 50k input with no noise penalty.

Not to rain on your parade, but many more owners prefer tube preamps with Class-D amplification if they can impedance match wise, which most are SE (rca) output. To miss out sales to those and others with passive preamps I do consider a bad judgment call.

And with today's high output level sources up to 10v why put another buffer stage in front of this, your 13db of gain is enough with the added gain of most preamps and the high level sources added to it. 

Cheres George

and none of those tube amps will have the low levels of noise and distortion to match this amp. Most of them not even close.  You over estimate the market for use with tube and passive pre.

Yes you are absolutely correct that you can use a high output DAC directly into this module.  That would be the ultimate solution and I am considering a buffer bypass mode.  However most power amps will have gain in the region of 26dB to account for sources down to 2 Vrms.  A typical DAC straight in is a good solution with digital volume (waits for the howls of protest)

Edited by March Audio

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, March Audio said:

You over estimate the market for use with tube and passive pre.

You can believe that. I believe many Class-D owners like tube pre's.

Cheers George

7 minutes ago, March Audio said:

I am considering a buffer bypass mode.

I think that is a great idea, but it would be nice to be >50kohm input impedance then also, not 2.2k rca, so then tubes and passives pre's have a look in also.

Cheers George

Edited by georgehifi

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, georgehifi said:

You can believe that. I believe many Class-D owners like tube pre's.

Cheers George

I think that is a great idea, but it would be nice to be >50kohm input impedance then also, not 2.2k rca.

Cheers George

I think you need to remember that I sell class D amps. I talk a lot with my customers about their systems and I am aware of where the market is primarily centred .  Its not with tube pres

A buffered input will have a higher input impedance, but really if a pre cant drive down to about 10k ohms I would look elsewhere.  You are blaming the wrong component.

Edited by March Audio