Sign in to follow this  
Chris Disbrey

SOLD: FS: JVC XM-228 MiniDisc Recorder/Player

Item: JVC XM-228 MiniDisc Recorder/Player & Approx 90 discs
Price: $20
Item Condition: Few scratches on front panel (visible in pics), works flawlessly
Reason for selling: NLR
Payment Method: Pickup only as it has no box - Cash
Extra Info:

Great piece of retro tech.  Unit has been in storage for around 12 years.  Totally forgot about it.  Have connected it up for testing and it works well.  Included in sale are 80-90 JVC discs in pop-out storage drawer units.  Records via digital or analogue inputs.  Also has a headphone jack!

Discs all have content on them (pretty average music from my late teens), but are easily wiped and recorded over numerous times without loss of quality.

*PLEASE NOTE - Does not come with box, manual or remote.  All recording functions are possible from front panel, universal remote able to be used for basic playback functions.

Photos: Advertisements without photos of the actual item will not be approved.

20190706_095126.jpg

20190706_095141.jpg

20190706_095157.jpg

20190706_095212.jpg

20190709_145706.jpg

20190709_145828.jpg

Incredible deal for a retro geek.

Nice one OP. 🏆

What a cracker, my first DVD player was a JVC triple disc player I purchased from Trevor Lees, was the same design and generation as that player, loved it!

arrgg. I'm too slow again! I have been on the look out for a MD player with optical out.
Great price!

10 minutes ago, PauliD said:

arrgg. I'm too slow again! I have been on the look out for a MD player with optical out.
Great price!

If it's any consolation it doesn't have digital out.  Just analogue out.  2 optical ins.  Seemed weird to me when I got it out of storage, don't know why jvc would have omitted digital out

1 minute ago, Chris Disbrey said:

If it's any consolation it doesn't have digital out.  Just analogue out.  2 optical ins.  Seemed weird to me when I got it out of storage, don't know why jvc would have omitted digital out

Oh, yeah I didn't look closely enough.

That does help :D 

48 minutes ago, Chris Disbrey said:

From memory it was to prevent pirates (Arrr!) making digital to digital copies. I think my Sony MD deck was the same

But with digital in, you can rip CD's digitally.  Thought that was a selling point.  It only prevents you ripping mini discs digitally which is kinda weird

4 hours ago, candyflip said:

Nice one OP. 🏆

just listed more retro tech, my HD-DVD player

5 hours ago, candyflip said:

Nice one OP. 🏆

How I miss MD! 

2 hours ago, Chris Disbrey said:

The mini-disk format developed by Sony's hardware division was sabotaged by Sony's music division's paranoia that it would provide digital pirating.  So you could only get digital-out.  Which was very disrespectful to those who made original recordings on the device, and had to suffer a generation-loss in quality to use their recordings.  It wasn't until the last few models of the improved HD-MD format that they finally allowed digital copying from the disks, by that stage CD burners had overtaken any concerns that MD would be used for piracy.  And by that stage Sony's in-fighting had killed the format.  Serves them right. 

Posted (edited)

This might be of interest to the lucky buyer of the JVC Minidisc player, I have a remote control for the JVC XM-448 Minidisc player.

I don't know whether or not it is working as I don't have a player to test it with.

It will likely control the XM-228.

Can have it if you pay for postage.

20190711_170005.jpg

20190711_165956.jpg

Edited by Alanpartridge
Added photos

What an absolute bargain! Very true audiofeline. Sad days for the minidisc. I reckon that it is one of my favourite formats. A few years ago I stocked on discs and a few portable and two SONY decks. Those colour discs bring me back so many memories.

I reckon that the DACs on those machines were top notch, not much need for a complete separate DAC back then. You just came home and plugged it straight to your stereo.

Of course the quality is much lower than CDs but in my opinion it seems like quality of sound back then with portable Minidiscs was more important... until... of course MP3s came along and ease of use and portability of 1000s of songs became more important. I skipped the whole MP3 era.

I still use one of my portables at work, it just sounds better to me and those little discs are so cool! 

I very briefly bought into Minidisc format, around the turn of the century or not long after.

Recently, I put together a bedroom system, and went through all my old audio gear to do so. I found my old Sony Minidisc deck, and threw it in to the system.

So I was listening to a London Grammar record in the bedroom, and I thought, I should record this so I don't wear the record out.

Recorded it to the Minidisc deck, using an old disc that I wiped,,, and bugger me does it sound bloody good.

What a bargain this listing was.