Sign in to follow this  
audiofeline

When was the last time you burned an audio CDR?

I was reflecting, as I tend to do.  It's been quite a few years since I have burned an audio CD. 

I used to burn lots of audio CDR's - files downloaded, shared disks, etc.  But haven't done so for years since I can play digital files via a usb into my Oppo.  The last time was when a non-computer literate friend at work asked me to copy a disk for her. 

Is this a shared experience?

Yep, it's been ages since I burned an audio CD.  It's now getting to the point where not many new computers (and very few laptops/ultrabooks) have CD/DVD burners.  I just replaced a nearly 10 year old Dell XPS laptop with a new Lenovo (Thinkpad X1 Carbon Gen 6) which has no room for an optical drive.  Sure, I know it's easy and cheap to buy an external USB drive but I doubt if I'll bother.  If I need to rip stuff in future, my old machine can still do that.  And as for new music, I'm leaning more and more towards streaming anyway.

Yep, still do it all the time. My WAV downloads sound great, burned to disc & played through the cd transport. I know I could save a lot of space using something like the Antipodes Audio thingies but I'm not up to speed on computer audio or streaming device. I know that one day cd-r's won't be available.

The media still exits, I had to burn DVDs a month ago because a client didn’t have a copy of System Software for a Fiery controller...  for some reason some software products only come backed up via optical media in a sealed package with the product.  And yes, I carry a burner for work to assist with the Laptop.  All this while we are in the age where USB drives are the norm, and if you look recently the SSD 1TB are now down to $200.

One of our clients has the license to print audio books, and in one section of the building there are some 50 commercial CD/DVD burners with disc stacking and they burn day in day out, apparently audio books are now taking off and in your local library they are slowly gaining.

Burnt 6 music cd's last month to fill the CD stacker in the car.

regards Bruce

I’d guess more than 12 years, still got CDRs and ejector cases laying around, probably time to toss them out I’d say 😪

E33C2BEE-03BB-408B-A241-3FA3D88BD640.jpeg

A recent interstate move to my Mum's place to help her out has left me without my system for the near future. 

I've moved in with her to get a handle on her condition, clean up the house and gardens and save some money for my own place to rent.

My only decent sound system at the moment is in my car.

I picked up a 50 pack of discs a few days ago so I can burn anything for the brief drives to and from work.  The first one was The Claypool Lennon Delirium  'South of Reality'.

Looking forward to finding my own space, setting up and spinning vinyl once again.  Now that I'm earning again I'll be able to pick up a few new records too - yippee.

Cheers, Ant.

Hmm.....I've got a pack of CDRs that are older than 15 years! So that tells you how long!

I burn CD-RW's all the time including right now.

It's the only way you can edit meta data by ripping a CD into your system through the Naim Uniti Core.

You canna edit digitally transferred files.

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Darren69 said:

I burn CD-RW's all the time including right now.

It's the only way you can edit meta data by ripping a CD into your system through the Naim Uniti Core.

You canna edit digitally transferred files.

Phew.........that's one serious workaround to edit metadata! The Uniti Core's audio quality better compensate for all that hard work!

Edited by anandpkumar

5 minutes ago, anandpkumar said:

Phew.........that's one serious workaround to edit metadata! The Uniti Core's audio quality better compensate for all that hard work!

It's very good and the Naim app interface is also excellent so yeah, it's all OK :D 

Thanks for the reminder, I have a few to do tomorrow.

We only listen to CD music at work and in the car.

Last time I burned a CD was about 6 months ago.

2012 for a housemate. 

It was a Parkway Drive album (heavy music) he wanted to listen to with his mates on the drive to I think see them play in Byron, driving from Brisbane.

I added 2 Michael Buble Christmas songs and some daggy pop song hahahaha. I got a phone call from them with it playing in the background hahahaha.

Would have been great to see their faces when Buble came on.

2006, brought a brand new car with a 6 stacker that read MP3's. Everything else was iPod or mac streaming at home. Still have those same discs in our current car as its pre-BT audio.

Last week.