Samsung Q75R

My 5 year old Sony TV is dying. I'm thinking of replacing it with a 65 inch Samsung Q75R which I could get for $3085 plus delivery. Can anyone think of anything better for around $3000?

Have you been into a shop to compare?

In my my budget, I found the Samsung Q7 to be the best picture .  I compared using FTA not there usual promotional clips of waterfalls or whatever.

• Like 1

compare it with last year Oled TV such as LG C8 or similar which should be in your price range, if you really don't need higher brightness Oled will have better picture...

Yes I would have preferred an OLED but unfortunately last years models have mostly sold out and they're asking around the 4K mark for 65 inch models at the moment. I have ordered the Samsung. I'm sure I'll be happy with it.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Chigurh said:

My 5 year old Sony TV is dying. I'm thinking of replacing it with a 65 inch Samsung Q75R which I could get for $3085 plus delivery. Can anyone think of anything better for around $3000?

Despite the fact that Samsung has cheapened up their TVs in 2019 with poorer build quality and less features in the high end models, reviews of the Q70R are mostly good.   Apparently HDR performance doesn't pop the way it should and peak brightness in SDR is only mediocre but on the plus side, this years Q7 has full array local dimming, excellent native contrast, good screen uniformity and minimal blooming.  I suspect that it will satisfy most buyers movie, general TV and sports needs.  

21 hours ago, Chigurh said:

My 5 year old Sony TV is dying. I'm thinking of replacing it with a 65 inch Samsung Q75R 

9 hours ago, Chigurh said:

Yes I would have preferred an OLED but unfortunately last years models have mostly sold out and they're asking around the 4K mark for 65 inch models at the moment. I have ordered the Samsung. I'm sure I'll be happy with it.

The Q75R has better native contrast than the Q80R, though not so good off angle viewing.  For me the Q75R was the better choice as we only occasionally have guests watching TV and thus we can normally sit directly in front of the set.

The top of the range Q90R has not as good native contrast as either the Q80R or the Q75R,* though it has a greater number of local dimming zones and better overall contrast with local dimming assistance.

I do notice a bit of halo effect from local dimming with our 75" Q75R if the scene is dark and a small patch of the screen has bright content. However it is only a minor artefact. 

@Chigurh, I agree you should be happy with the Q75 you've ordered. And it will be a big step up over  a 5 year old Sony set when viewing HDR content.

In another thread I've mentioned how very pleased I've been with Netflix 4k HDR content on our Q75R screen. The viewing can be spectacular, e.g. David Attenborough's 2019 series Our Planet. In comparison, the old Sony set we had (a 2015 HDR model) fell well short of doing justice to HDR content.

________

* Ratings.com reports the following measured native contrast ratios:-

Q70R (equiv model to Australian Q75R): 7250

Q80R:  3681

Q90R:  3249

• Like 3

the higher native contrast on the Q70R is due to the wide angle viewing filter on the Q8 & Q9 which as you point out is overcome on these two models by a higher number of local dimming zones.

David Attenborough's Our Planet  has spectacular 4K HDR, however in my view is best viewed in mute mode to avoid hysterical over exaggerated claims about the impact of climate change.   Attenborough deliberately and consistently avoids focusing on the real cause of species decline, the abundance of plastic in our waterways, urban expansion and most of all, the erosion of funding for legitimate wildlife conservation measures, diverted to the world wide climate change industry.  

On 17/07/2019 at 2:38 PM, pc9 said:

Attenborough deliberately and consistently avoids focusing on the real cause of species decline, the abundance of plastic in our waterways, urban expansion and most of all, the erosion of funding for legitimate wildlife conservation measures, diverted to the world wide climate change industry.  

Climate change is a significant factor, and Attenborough certainly concentrated on that factor; though there are other important factors, such as those you have pointed out. I watched the Our Planet episodes primarily for the wonderful videography and for Attenborough's engaging descriptions of the fauna and their habitats. It didn't worry me that his reasons for species decline were not exhaustive in this series, and I myself certainly wouldn't think of muting his commentary because of that.

Here is Sir David in a short clip on the topic of the many encouraging responses he received to a previous series of his (Blue Planet 2), that dealt with pollution from discarded plastic:

Edited by MLXXX

• 2 weeks later...

It wasn't to be! I ordered (and payed for) the Q75 3 weeks ago and still hadn't heard a peep. Sent them Ebay messages (no response) and phoned a couple of times. They just kept telling me fibs like "we'll be sending it later today". This morning I asked for a refund and got confirmation within an hour from Paypal. I'm guessing they sold me something before they had the stock. This place has 4 bricks and mortar stores around Brisbane as well as their Ebay store. Hopeless customer service. Oh well, the Sony is still chugging along.

3 minutes ago, Chigurh said:

It wasn't to be! I ordered (and payed for) the Q75 3 weeks ago and still hadn't heard a peep.

Very disappointing for you. (I purchased my 75" Q75 in Brisbane in mid-June from HN, and they delivered it the following day.)