Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
krebetman

What options should a Hegel-curious buyer consider?

Recommended Posts

My system is based around a Plinius 9200 integrated amp, driving Lenehan MLT3 speakers.  Sources are digital streamed via an Audiophilleo 2 and Rega DAC. 

 

I am considering upgrading the amp and plan to explore the Hegel H190 or maybe the H390. I like the idea of the integrated DAC as well.  However, I am aware that if route, would reuquire a separate phono stage.

 

Not really looking for separates for space and simplicity reasons, but know from members like @Cafad that there are lots of good sounding integrates.

 

Looking for thoughts about what other integrated amp options I should look at up to a similar price range. Otherwise,  should I consider a different approach?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Not my area of expertise but it will help others if you specify a maximum budget. A quick search shows Hegel 190 going for $6+K, not sure about 390 $10K??? 

Edited by Snoopy8
Typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes $10k max budget

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

what about the Vitus in the classifieds. Actually there are a few of them.

You can add a dac module as well

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


for something different ... have you considered valves ? 6-10k woudl buy a pretty serious valve integrated.... maybe check in with mike on suggestions... anyways just to check something different out as another alternative  :) 

 

ps i wouldnt go integrated dac... they tend to come and go with the seasons... thats ways can buy something there of choice instead ot marry up. and so many good choices why limit to whats an amp comes with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I was waiting for somebody to suggest valves. My learning curve just got a whole lot steeper!

Edited by krebetman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, krebetman said:

I was waiting for somebody to suggest valves. My learning curve just got a whole lot steeper!

on other end of scale how about a big mac :D

 

id definitely check with mike though on what tends to work now work with your lenehans.... also at this sort of money would want to experience first hand how they go as a combo...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Posted (edited)

Love the suggestions, although auditioning some of them will be a challenge.  Even though I don't regularly listen at high levels, I value good control and wonder if the all-in-one units like the Naim and Linn would go well in my very large room (about 8x9m with vaulted ceiling that reaches over 4m at the highest point).

 

I haven't heard Moon or Mac much, but do recall a cafe in Mykonos pumping out nice sounds (for a cafe) courtesy of huge Mac amps.

 

I'm also considering Devialet if I can find one in budget, but wonder if it will be too 'incisive' for my tastes.

 

There are also Electrocompaniet amps in this price range, but weirdly, I haven't much liked what I have heard from that brand previously.

Edited by krebetman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, krebetman said:

Love the suggestions, although auditioning some of them will be a challenge.  Even though I don't regularly listen at high levels, I value good control and wonder if the all-in-one units like the Naim and Linn would go well in my very large room (about 8x9m with vaulted ceiling that reaches over 4m at the highest point).

 

I haven't heard Moon or Mac much, but do recall a cafe in Mykonos pumping out nice sounds (for a cafe) courtesy of huge Mac amps.

 

I'm also considering Devialet if I can find one in budget, but wonder if it will be too 'incisive' for my tastes.

 

There are also Electrocompaniet amps in this price range, but weirdly, I haven't much liked what I have heard from that brand previously.

that sounds like a LARGE space ....id probably err on the more muscular amps.... and possibly even compliment with a subwoofer if partial to those.

 

with buying an integrated myself in past months. i too the approach that its not likely i will be able to demo and check out EVERYTHING... just impossible... in any case there are likely to be excellent choices between what ever brands components you have access too. and likely enough to make a decision on something really happy with :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have owned ML3s but while I am selling a Vitus RI100 it never coincided with them but certainly it has plenty of grunt and finess. Mine is silver and AJ has a black one. I did use and like Hegel H160, Plinius Hautonga and Audia Flight 3S. The integrated valve amps I tried didn't do it for me in the bottom end and were a bit hot in the Perth summer. While I keep buying and trying as part of this hobby, my wife has accepted my Electrocompaniet  pre and mono blocks and CD so they are a constant. Good luck with the hunt. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, betty boop said:

that sounds like a LARGE space ....id probably err on the more muscular amps.... and possibly even compliment with a subwoofer if partial to those.

 

with buying an integrated myself in past months. i too the approach that its not likely i will be able to demo and check out EVERYTHING... just impossible... in any case there are likely to be excellent choices between what ever brands components you have access too. and likely enough to make a decision on something really happy with :)

Yes, large and kinda bright lively too - thus my concern about forward-sounding kit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...