Jeddie

What did you replace your Squeezebox with?

4 hours ago, evil c said:

Better sound quality? 🤔

Went from a SBT to a Node 2 then 2i matched with a Qutest and very happy. 

Certainly it's a step up from the SBT,although still kept it for outside party system. 

Slightly OT, did you find a big difference between the Node 2 and 2i using an external DAC that it was worth the upgrade? Also, do you use an external PSU with the Node 2/2i or just the standard one

3 minutes ago, anandpkumar said:

Slightly OT, did you find a big difference between the Node 2 and 2i using an external DAC that it was worth the upgrade? Also, do you use an external PSU with the Node 2/2i or just the standard one

TBH the improvements aren't massive on paper with better processor and interface, but it seemed to offer better soundstage and tonality so worthwhile to me .

Really depends on how good your system is, in one priced at a few k mightn't discern much between them. 

I did look at getting a dedicated power supply via Clay but there were issues with excessive heat generated by the low voltage and high current ratio.

And it sounds so good anyway, plus tend to trust Chord's assertion that the design won't reward adding  an external PSU. 😉

Joz, if going for a new streamer/DAC, also check out the Bel Canto as it does MQA. Have a chat to@cheekyboy

So what made the difference in your case, the Node or the $2k+ DAC?
On their own I'd imagine the Node2i to better any SB.

On 10/07/2019 at 4:47 PM, joz said:

May need to change up once I decide to get ROON coupled with Tidal, but by then who knows what else will be out? 

You can run Roon and Tidal with the SBT

8B2E3830-C7D0-4F7D-ABEA-22A9D20422C0.jpeg

SBT(thx evilc), moved onto PowerNode2, moved onto Aria Piccolo +(plus)(ta eggmiester) using it's DAC and separate PSU(at the moment) but have tried a separate DAC as well.

The app that runs it on an iPad mini is pretty slick and if you spend the time(which I only occasionally do) with various  bits of software doing the metadata and refining refining refining...

Well it's hard to beat from what I've seen and experienced with the afore mentioned units.

Quite seamless.

Quote from Stereophile:

I'm happy to say that DigiBit's Aria Piccolo + is a well-integrated music server that's delightfully capable and easy to use. With suitable attached devices it will play uncompressed (AIFF, WAV) and lossless (ALAC, FLAC) formats up to 32/384 PCM, as well as DXD (32/352.8), DSD64, DSD128, and DSD256 files in glorious multichannel. It was a pleasure to use, and will suit the needs of almost any aficionado of music and multichannel-sound.
Read more at https://www.stereophile.com/content/music-round-92-digibit-aria-piccolo-page-2#tkPDzmlhZX6vzyPb.99

I'm not into multi channel or TV yada yada like many are here but this thing does the biz if your into that stuff (like a few here are). But the the thing I found interesting was the last snippet in this quote:

Playing files on the Piccolo + and sending them via HDMI to the Marantz was completely successful, with two small limitations and one convenient advantage. The first limitation is a common one: HDMI output from the Aria's Intel motherboard doesn't support DSD, but converts DSD to hi-rez PCM on the fly. The second limitation is the Marantz's inability to accept any input resolution higher than 24/192. If your pre-pro can handle more, the Piccolo + will do it, as I proved by using it in my Manhattan system. The advantage: You can apply to the feed from the Piccolo + all of your AVR's audio-processing facilities, including room EQ, bass management, or whatever else it has onboard.
Read more at https://www.stereophile.com/content/music-round-92-digibit-aria-piccolo#H5vvX07ZWhsQD08I.99

So it's an interesting unit and being able to adapt nearly any DAC to it via an email to DigiBit is pretty good:

But to use my exaSound e38 DAC, I had to e-mail DigiBit, who then magically downloaded and installed the driver in the Aria overnight. Now, I prefer a more hands-on approach, but I have to admit that, with DigiBit's way of doing things, there's no way the user can screw things up.

I have a Slim Devices Squeezebox and 2 SB Touch, I also have a Pi 3 with Volumio and a Yamaha WXC-50. For ease of play the SBTs work out best, the Yammy and Pi both need an external controller.

SQ, they are all very similar through the same DAC.