What did you replace your Squeezebox with?

On 09/07/2019 at 3:59 PM, scuzzii said:

Blusound Node2.

I got out of streaming, so sold my SB Touch. But wanted to get back into it to preview albums listed on Currently Spinning, and the Node2 was giving $100 cash back. I play via external DAC. Very pleased.

+ 1

No regrets.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/07/2019 at 6:13 AM, wolster said:

+ 1

No regrets.

Yep me too, swapped out the SBT for original node 2 and have since ‘upgraded’ to 2i.  I really love the interface and definitely wouldn’t go back.

I am dabbling with the idea of moving to a high end streamer (looking at NAD M50.2) an but really very happy with the node 2i run via coax into my DAC so not sure worth bothering.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I replaced my Lukasz Fikus (lampizator) modded Squeezebox Duet with a pc based source mostly due to easier access to DSP. You can feed squeezebox Dirac/Acourate/Sonarworks DSP by using WaveInput plugin and VirtualCable but its a ton effort. I do miss LMS's new music feature and overall playback usability...

I went from the original Squeezebox to a Touch, then the EDO and modded version of the same.

After that came an Allo USBridge (tried both Volumio and DietPi, settled on the latter). The USBridge got an upgrade by running it off one of Clay's PSUs.

Currently trying a NUC in a fanless case running AudioLinux and Euphony (switching between the two while testing) with very good results.

Pined for the SB then bought an Eastern Electric DAC; after a year I sold it here and went to the CXN streamer. Upsampling and great sound despite the low res digital.

Now praying for true hi-res digital streaming at a reasonable price

• Like 1

I replaced my Squeezebox3 with a Yamaha np-s303 (a "network player"), mainly to try out DSD. Radio stations seemed to sound better, but I'm not sure if it's  because the streaming quality is now better than 5 or 6 years ago.

• 5 months later...

Squeezebox served me well for years - changed the way I listened to music - at least when I was being lazy and did not want to change CDs.  What a revolution!

Then I wanted to streamline things and moved to a Digibit server/player with built in hdd but that was not fast enough for the high res files I eventually moved to.

Then came a number of Auralic Aries connected to my systems and a NAS.

Till I discovered Roon and the Rock on a NUC which is, to me a second revolution (or epiphany) - no more wasting time putting music in the right or wrong place or in the wrong format, setting up things, tagging files, fighting with software or hardware - just plain old enjoying the music.

Edited by Toyboyo
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...

Will have a read of this later, my dear SBT has just stopped streaming from Tidal, it can see everything but when you press play, it tells me a novel about how it couldn't download each song. Still plays my NAS library etc, I fear it might be on the way out, has been a fantastic little jigger, don't know why they stopped making them. The Pro-Ject streamer looks OK in the classifieds.

I just swapped the Squeezebox with a Sonore ultraRendu. It’s runs an LMS Player (or Rune, or AirPlay etc) so it just swaps out the Squeezebox player. I use it as an LMS player as I still use the LMS server software that I used with the Squeezebox. As easy as swapping a Squeezebox with another Squeezebox and cleaner audio quality.

Note that if you haven’t been keeping up, the LMS server and player software has continued to be developed unofficially after Squeezboxes stopped shipping and now even supports internal integration with Tidal and Qobuz

Edited by HumanMedia

19 minutes ago, HumanMedia said:

I just swapped the Squeezebox with a Sonore ultraRendu. It’s runs an LMS Player (or Rune, or AirPlay etc) so it just swaps out the Squeezebox player. I use it as an LMS player as I still use the LMS server software that I used with the Squeezebox. As easy as swapping a Squeezebox with another Squeezebox and cleaner audio quality.

Note that if you haven’t been keeping up, the LMS server and player software has continued to be developed unofficially after Squeezboxes stopped shipping and now even supports internal integration with Tidal and Qobuz

Thanks HM will check out the Rendu. Yes LMS is still around, is that through Slim Devices or whatever they are called?

On 18/10/2020 at 12:51 PM, Darren69 said:

Thanks HM will check out the Rendu. Yes LMS is still around, is that through Slim Devices or whatever they are called?

Yes. Here are the latest builds with the streaming service integration. These are pretty stable as well.

http://downloads.slimdevices.com/nightly/index.php?ver=8.0

And here is the forum discussing the LMS Server

https://forums.slimdevices.com/forumdisplay.php?27-Logitech-Media-Server

Fantastic, free software kept alive by enthusiasts.

Hi folks,

I still use two Squeezebox Classics which I reckon I've had for 12 years or more. They are set up in separate systems and I use them now only for streaming radio broadcasts because they do it so well. 

As far as music streaming goes, I had an Auralic Mini that I found clunky and temperamental which I let go and used the Tidal app on my Oppo 105, which I found to be as good as the Auralic for SQ anyway. In the second system I'm using a Bel Canto e.One Stream which is excellent and a unit I can highly recommend.:thumb:

Cheers,

Keith

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Yamaha_man said:

Replace the SBT??? Really? I still have 4! 1 is in box unopened a d still sealed, One has a Boulder upgrade and PSU and another the Teddy Pardo PSU.

@Yamaha_man, would the SBT with the Boulder mods be my old one? I regret selling that, as I am now getting a new lease of life from my SBTs as Roon endpoints, and the one in my living room is being fed directly via Cat 6 from my Innuos Zenith MkIII in the study. I want to max it out, the Boulder mods would be just the ticket!

8 hours ago, markm1111 said:

@Yamaha_man, would the SBT with the Boulder mods be my old one? I regret selling that, as I am now getting a new lease of life from my SBTs as Roon endpoints, and the one in my living room is being fed directly via Cat 6 from my Innuos Zenith MkIII in the study. I want to max it out, the Boulder mods would be just the ticket!

Could be yours, can’t remember who I purchased it from tbh.

want to buy it back?? ?

On 22/10/2020 at 6:21 PM, Darren69 said:

I ended up getting the Pro Ject streamer.

My SBT is working again now, musta been something that was nothing to do with it, got heaps of streamers now :D 

Very happy though, such a handy little thing, can see why people get a stash of them.

• Like 1

I still have a SBT in box, generally replaced with Raspberry Pi4 with picore etc loaded that emulates the SBT. My best streamer is the Bel Canto Stream for sound quality, I also use a bluesound node 2i and powernode 2i and a Pro-ject Stream DSA. Also use Apple airport express and homepods too.

I’ve transitioned  from LMS server on a Netgear NAS to a dedicated ROON  server.

I’ve previously owned:

Slim Devices Squeezebox 3

Logitech Classic

Logitech Transporter

Logitech Duet

Logitech Radio

Logitech Boom

Logitech Touch

update, ended up building a Raspberry Touch that emulates the functionality of the Squeezebox Touch depending on the firmware used.CCC35855-8944-4648-97A8-39B277CEEFF3.thumb.jpeg.733d36e0b81385b6c0baa2efaebc3d46.jpeg

JDH

Edited by jdh500