Jeddie

What did you replace your Squeezebox with?

Attn former Owners of Squeezebox.

Just wondering what you upgraded to after the Squeezebox?

And why?

And most importantly are you pleased with your upgrade?  

How much difference did it make?

I still have a couple of unused Squeezebox Touch sitting in a box as backups so still using it, I did however sell off a Logitech Transporter,  also use a combination of Apple Music and a Pro-ject Stream DS+ and DSA model and sometimes my Oppo 205 or direct from my Marantz AV8802a, also Toying with the idea of eventually buying an over priced Bel Canto Stream player one day.

JDH

Blusound Node2.

I got out of streaming, so sold my SB Touch. But wanted to get back into it to preview albums listed on Currently Spinning, and the Node2 was giving $100 cash back. I play via external DAC. Very pleased.

Never had a Squeezebox due to them not being readily available when I started going digital, pretty sure they were no longer being made.

I use a Raspberry Pi 2 B running PiCorePlayer with a HiFiBerry DAC + Pro which I believe does the same thing and more as a Squeezebox Touch.

I run a LMS server on my PC but the Pi with PiCorePlayer can also be setup to run a LMS server.

See https://www.picoreplayer.org/ lots of options there.

Seems that a Squeezebox is shown on Option 1  https://www.picoreplayer.org/landingzone_option1.html

Will stream " Extra options like support for streaming services as Dezer, Tidal, Spotify etc. are installed as Plugins at the LMS web-page. " Option 2.

PiCorePlayer can be controlled from an Android phone using Squeezer.

I am very happy with my setup, audio is I believe above average with the HiFiBerry DAC + Pro.

For around $150 dollars, cheap and a very good option.

Never had a Squeezebox due to them not being readily available when I started going digital, pretty sure they were no longer being made.
I use a Raspberry Pi 2 B running PiCorePlayer with a HiFiBerry DAC + Pro which I believe does the same thing and more as a Squeezebox Touch.
I run a LMS server on my PC but the Pi with PiCorePlayer can also be setup to run a LMS server.

See https://www.picoreplayer.org/ lots of options there.
Seems that a Squeezebox is shown on Option 1  https://www.picoreplayer.org/landingzone_option1.html

Will stream " Extra options like support for streaming services as Dezer, Tidal, Spotify etc. are installed as Plugins at the LMS web-page. " Option 2.

PiCorePlayer can be controlled from an Android phone using Squeezer.

I am very happy with my setup, audio is I believe above average with the HiFiBerry DAC + Pro.
For around $150 dollars, cheap and a very good option.

Thought about grabbing one of these off eBay for 180 or less... for the price they seem handy for previewing albums before buying the analogue copy. Handles tidal and iOS well?

As above still a Squeezebox made from a RPi + piCorePlayer + Allo DigiOne HAT.

I don't use any actual Squeezeboxes anymore. One other RPi downstairs and one out in the shed via WiFi.

I use the Orange Squeeze and Squeeze Player apps on Android, the wife uses iPeng on her iPhone.

Been using LMS since 2006 👍

Allo Digione, then mRendu and now Auralic Aries.  Wont change soon

I still have a working Touch and also a Duet controller. I had an SB Boom which I replaced with a set of speakers connected to a Raspberry Pi with DAC board and Touch screen. You can probably buy the parts and put one of these together in an hour. If you use piCorePlayer, you get a near perfect emulation of a Touch with a much bigger screen (7 inches vs 4.5). Works "just like" a Touch.

https://archimago.blogspot.com/2017/03/howto-building-and-installing-raspberry.html - how to build a Touch replacement

https://volumio.org/product/sos-solution-volumio-touch-player/ - preassembled player with touch screen. For SBT emulation, just change the OS to piCoreplayer, as described in first link. 

20 hours ago, soundbyte said:

The web site I linked (https://www.picoreplayer.org/pcp_feature.shtml#streaming) definitely mentions Tidal as well as other streaming services and I think the jivelite part is IOS(?) I may be wrong as I do not use any Apple devices for audio.

jivelite it the pCP plugin that allows for Touch sreen emulation. Nothing to do with iOS.

Also, there are now plugins for LMS that improve the GUI. Look for the "material" plugin and the "album information" or "artist information" plugin (can't remember the name offhand) that make the UI much more modern looking and informative. Works on phones/tablets as well as PCs.

Been a SB fan for years now. I still haven't found a compelling reason to get out of it.

I'm sure there are a few reasons but possibly none that apply to my yet?

Anyhow I have had had SB3, SBT and now Transporter all running via an external DAC and all sounding identical, the only thing that's changed is size and displays. Though the Transporter is the best sounding as a stand alone unit without an external DACX. (IMO).

May need to change up once I decide to get ROON coupled with Tidal, but by then who knows what else will be out? 

40 minutes ago, joz said:

Been a SB fan for years now. I still haven't found a compelling reason to get out of it.

I'm sure there are a few reasons but possibly none that apply to my yet?

Better sound quality? 🤔

Went from a SBT to a Node 2 then 2i matched with a Qutest and very happy. 

Certainly it's a step up from the SBT,although still kept it for outside party system. 

1 hour ago, evil c said:

Better sound quality? 🤔

Went from a SBT to a Node 2 then 2i matched with a Qutest and very happy. 

Certainly it's a step up from the SBT,although still kept it for outside party system. 

So what made the difference in your case, the Node or the $2k+ DAC?

On their own I'd imagine the Node2i to better any SB.

2 minutes ago, joz said:

So what made the difference in your case, the Node or the $2k+ DAC?

On their own I'd imagine the Node2i to better any SB.

Good question,  together they're a very good combo - especially with the Qutest performance with 192khz files .

Can be big difference in sound even between digital cables used I've discovered, so not just streamers alone - however I never seriously compared between them analog out.

Inbuilt DAC on the 2i Is meant to be good though.

Still using two Squeezeboxes.................mostly use my Pono though!