Sign in to follow this  
BenThatcher

Yamaha 3060 + External Amp - What am I doing wrong here?

I'm currently set up for 5.2.2, soon expanding to 7.2.4. My plan was to use an old stereo receiver I had lying around to power my top fronts.

Part 1: My issue... I can get it working if I am powering the front's off the stereo receiver but not if I power the rears. Given this amp is only good for a bout 40wpc, I would rather use it to power my 'top fronts' instead of 'fronts'.  I am using the settings in the left picture in the link below for powering the fronts, which works. But how do I tell it to power the rears instead? I've tried all the options and it's not working. There isn't an option for "FP to external amp only" but I know it's possible because plenty of people are doing it. My understanding was that pre-outs are always 'live' so if something is plugged in, it should automatically send out the signal to the external amp. But if this is the case, why have all the choices on the amp?

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1183449/Yamaha-Rx-A3060.html?page=34&term=external+amp&selected=7

Part 2: I have since bought a beefier amp (Rotel RB-985) which is 100w wpc (5 channels).

1. If I only use 3 out of the 5 channels, will it produce more than 100wpc on those 3 channels? ie just plug my fronts and centre in.

2. If not, can I bi-amp 2 of the channels (to my fronts) and the remaining channel to my centre (theoretically giving 200w to the fronts and 100w to the centre channel).

3. In either instance, how do I 'tell' the Yamaha 3060 to output just the fronts and centre to the external amp.

The end goal is 7.2.4, with the Yamaha 3060 powering the 8 "surround" channels and the RB-985 bi-amped powering the fronts with the remaining channel being used on the centre.

At the moment I'm running Dali Concepts but I'm part way through some pretty hungry DIY fronts and centre where I would love the headroom of the Rotel then just rely on around 40wpc to handle the surrounds.

Cheers,

Hi, 

I have power amp for 2 fronts only. In setup - manual setup - configuration - (fronts not available). Return - distance - works well, Level - works well. 

I would use power amp for 2 fronts, center, 2 surrounds and AVR for everything else. 

There are mixed opinion about be-amping, some manufacturers stopped using that solution.   

15 minutes ago, Irek said:

Hi, 

I have power amp for 2 fronts only. In setup - manual setup - configuration - (fronts not available). Return - distance - works well, Level - works well. 

I would use power amp for 2 fronts, center, 2 surrounds and AVR for everything else. 

There are mixed opinion about be-amping, some manufacturers stopped using that solution.   

Thanks for the reply mate!

If the amp is 100wpc, regardless of how many channels I am running (whether it's 2,3 or 5), I'd do exactly what you're saying and power the 2 fronts, center and 2 surrounds from the new amp. But if I can bump up the power to the fronts (and possibly center) then just let the Yammy handle the surrounds, I'd prefer to do it that way. But I can't find anywhere if the amp is say 100wpc into 5 channels and 150wpc into 3 channels (for example).

As for bi-amping, it sort of links in with my first question. If it's 100wpc regardless of how many channels I'm running, I'd rather double the channels to the fronts and using the remaining channel for the center. Theoretically giving me 200w to each of the fronts, 100w for the centre and 40w(ish) to the remaining low demanding channels.

This is my first venture into 'higher end' HT and hi-fi. 200w to the fronts is excessive, but I love the idea of the headroom when I switch to more demanding speakers.

I don't think you ll be able to use more than 50% of that power without earplugs.

I am assuming you are going to use it for movies only. 

i have a rotel and if i go from 6 channels driven to 5 channels power output goes from 60w per to 70w per channel. so guess about 15% ish increase.. 115w/125w is plenty.

here is bench tests of that yammy.. note there is some scepticism of s&v bench tests as they are, from my readings, not based on 20hz-20khz. but its a guide and you will see the huge drop in output once some bigger avrs go past 5 channels.

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/yamaha-aventage-rx-a3060-av-receiver-review-test-bench

Edited by hopefullguy