Lovely wife and kids want to buy me an Apple TV for my upcoming birthday.

I have an older LG 50 in Plasma Tv to plug it into so  do all I need is the basic 32gb or is the 64gb 4K going to be the Ants Pants?

It will depend on if you're looking to store data on the unit or not.

Mine are all the base memory as I don't store much on them, all data is streamed.

It’s a streamer so just get the 32gigaboos.

Posted (edited)

Tanks guys.

Another Question, can I run a Telstra TV and an Apple TV off the same router?

But on different TVs.

Edited by Tony ray

9 minutes ago, Tony ray said:

Tanks guys.

Another Question, can I run a Telstra TV and an Apple TV off the same router?

But on different TVs.

of course. The router doesn't know what it's plugged into. I have 4 Apple TV's in my house connected to various TV's or our projector via the AV processor, some by ethernet and some wireless.

Just a heads-up - Netflix no longer streams from your phone/tablet on Apple TV.

Of course you can still run it through the Apple TV itself, and use dictation or an iDevice to enter search text. 

6 minutes ago, Mute-on said:

Just a heads-up - Netflix no longer streams from your phone/tablet on Apple TV.

Of course you can still run it through the Apple TV itself, and use dictation or an iDevice to enter search text. 

I have never ever thought to watch any streaming service in this manner. I don't understand why you would when the apps is available natively on the Apple TV.

* This is not a criticism BTW, but I guess I would only use a phone or tablet when a PC or TV is not available.

2 hours ago, Tony ray said:

I have an older LG 50 in Plasma Tv to plug it into so  do all I need is the basic 32gb or is the 64gb 4K going to be the Ants Pants?

If you are going to install a lot of apps or games you will need the 64gb. What I mean by apps is for example you install all the FTA catch up apps like ABC iview, SBS on demand etc, they all take up space so you will have to allow for them. I have a 32gb but I have no game apps.

6 hours ago, Mute-on said:

Or the supplied remote control ofcourse 

22 hours ago, Tony ray said:

As it is an older Plasma TV and will max out resolution at 1080, there would be no use going up ti 4K unless you have a television that is able to use 4K  and your internet speed is fast enough, you need a 25Mbps minimum so as not to get buffering.

JJ

1 hour ago, Janjuc said:

As it is an older Plasma TV and will max out resolution at 1080, there would be no use going up ti 4K unless you have a television that is able to use 4K  and your internet speed is fast enough, you need a 25Mbps minimum so as not to get buffering.

JJ

A 4K ATV will also make the device more future proof, there's not too much difference in price. I wouldn't be surprised if use of the TV sky rockets once the world of streaming opens up. I can see an updated TV just around the corner... if need be. NBN is available in Moggs Creek. Having said that, I bought a 4k for my HT room and only a 1080p one for the family room, as my family room TV is not for critical viewing.

I bought prior to getting fast NBN internet hooked up and must remember to up the resolution on the 4K one.

Good point Blybo as my next TV would be a 4K if and when the plasma dies.

20 hours ago, Tony ray said:

Good point Blybo as my next TV would be a 4K if and when the plasma dies.

Problem here is that Plasmas keep on kickin.. gonna be waiting for a while.  Mine's nearly 10years old and it hasnt missed a beat yet.  good ol pana plasmas.

I'll be looking for a cheap apple tv3 would address what you need now..

2 hours ago, Porkbuns69 said:

Problem here is that Plasmas keep on kickin.. gonna be waiting for a while.  Mine's nearly 10years old and it hasnt missed a beat yet.  good ol pana plasmas.

I'll be looking for a cheap apple tv3 would address what you need now..

Yeah your right. I might try and blow up the 42in upstairs Plasma so I can get the OK to put the 50in upstairs and get a bigger one for me.🤔

On 09/07/2019 at 2:48 PM, blybo said:

I have never ever thought to watch any streaming service in this manner. I don't understand why you would when the apps is available natively on the Apple TV.

* This is not a criticism BTW, but I guess I would only use a phone or tablet when a PC or TV is not available.

It depends what you want to watch (and where). I spend a lot of time overseas. Sometimes I need a VPN app to make the streaming service think I am still in Australia. There are no VPN apps for the Apple TV. But there are for iPhones (iOS). So easiest way is to connect through the iPhone VPN app, then mirror/stream it from there to the Apple TV. Probably not that useful to most people, but quite useful for me.