Apple TV Owners & Discussion Thread

1 hour ago, blybo said:

If anybody wants to off load a 4th Gen (non 4k) ATV in Melbourne I could be interested. I already have 1 but want to have another in my study for a cycling trainer app/game which has just been released for 4th/5th Gen models. Until I get a reliable NBN connection there is no point in me having the 4k version.

I have one, just replaced it with a 4K unit. I have no idea what they're worth, and also have one on the bedroom TV, so basically no longer required.

EDIT: Thinking about it, with the current cost of a new unit, I feel second hand they are basically worthless. I'll give it to a family member.

Edited by Spearmint

44 minutes ago, Spearmint said:

I have one, just replaced it with a 4K unit. I have no idea what they're worth, and also have one on the bedroom TV, so basically no longer required.

EDIT: Thinking about it, with the current cost of a new unit, I feel second hand they are basically worthless. I'll give it to a family member.

They are still selling for $209 new. And weirdly people are trying to get $200 for used examples on Gumtree. Perhaps I'll just get a Apple refurbished one if there isn't a 4k model under the Christmas tree...

1 hour ago, Spearmint said:

Edited by Spearmint

Was considering this too, replace older bedroom unit replace with atv4 and move in the even older atvs I have

ok got going this evening with our pioneer kuro. no real bother. plug in gets going. gee even learning the AV processors volume was so easy. no problem with the bandwidth either, checked the ookla speediest ap and getting 97mbps.

did the latest update. could down load amazon prime.

clicked on the TV button and we watched a sbs movie wadjda. cute movie set in saudi arabia would never have watched otherwise. really love the interface. i must say as streamer this literally sh!ts all over the xbox one x. cant see myself using the xbox one x for streaming ever ! 

not sure how to specify bit streaming for audio out from the atv 4k though. best can tell it is for surround sound "best quality available"

have though made sure to set match content for "range and frame rate"

so very happy with the atv 4k so far. will give a shot wiht the jvc fo 4k next....

so last night I thought i would check out with the JVC x7000 with its 4k uhd capability to see how things go.

I have to say worked a treat, seamless. watched a bit of chefs table which was looking very nice of netflix 4K on the projector screen

wiht the latest firm ware update the ATV 4K quickly picks up that display is 4K HDR capable and adjusts to suit

27167180039_d384096cea_c.jpg

and the great news it also works seamlessly from there if say pass signal to my pio kuro it just detects its not 4K UHD capable and changes output to 1080p SDR. again all very seamlessly by itself, no hand shakes or uhd hdcp errors or anything else. which is fantastic news for people. this thing has been designed well with its hand shaking etc

• Like 2

One of the things I like about the Apple TV 4K is it uses HDMI 2.0a so it makes it alot more system friendly. I also purchased a Telstra TV 2, but it uses HDMI 2.2 so requirements a bit more stringent.  

I've found a use for the Apple TV I replaced the 4K unit with. I've been procuring a few Homekit items when there are sales on. I purchased one of the cameras on the weekend as JB HiFi had 30% off, and now I use the unused Apple TV as a Bluetooth bridge to extend the range in an area of the home where there was minimal coverage.

1 hour ago, Spearmint said:

One of the things I like about the Apple TV 4K is it uses HDMI 2.0a so it makes it alot more system friendly. I also purchased a Telstra TV 2, but it uses HDMI 2.2 so requirements a bit more stringent.  

I've found a use for the Apple TV I replaced the 4K unit with. I've been procuring a few Homekit items when there are sales on. I purchased one of the cameras on the weekend as JB HiFi had 30% off, and now I use the unused Apple TV as a Bluetooth bridge to extend the range in an area of the home where there was minimal coverage.

hi spearmint wiht the telstra unit you might mean hdcp 2.2, it is likely still a hdmi 2.0 some variant ie ver a or b . only step up is hdmi 2.1 and no one seems to be doing anything with that as yet with the massive step up bandwidth for 8k etc.

ps the hdmi implementation and particularly with hdcp appears to be quite variable between units. the apple atv 4k is really well implemented as with all the disc players these days (pana, samsung, oppo and such).  the x box one x is very average in this regard. the optus supplied fetch mighty tv is also not great and requires a cheap splitter to be used in the path as they inadvertently strip the hdcp ! 

ps i will definitely explore the home kit side of the apple tv. certainly looks a very interesting idea. didnt realise the atv could increase bluetooth range ! 

Thanks Al for the clarification on the HDMI protocols. The Apple TV allows me to get 4K using non HDCP 2.2 ports, whereas the Telstra TV 2 requires HDCP 2.2 otherwise you only get 1080P.

Reasonably happy with the up-scaling of the streaming boxes, I could use the AVR to upscale but find things look better if each device manages it. The auto frame rate setting on the Apple TV 4k appears to work well.

• Like 1

I know it makes sense, but still great the it highlights titles I've purchased under the heading "4K & HDR", especially for ones that weren't when I first bought them.

In a way it's confusingly not in the Movies app under Purchased, but in the TV app, Library > 4K & HDR, separately from TV Shows and Movies.

• 9 months later...

Help! Downloaded IOS12 today. Receiver is Anthem MRX720.

A. Atmos turned on in ATV4K settings

Able to see Atmos logo in Netflix site e.g. Altered Carbon and Lost in Space. For those shows which do not have Atmos logo, just 5.1 logo in Netflix, I can play no problem. But shows with Atmos logo, I have problem playing resulting in either situation: 
1. No picture and no sound, receiver shows PCM 2.0; or
2. Got picture and no sound, receiver shows Multi PCM.

B. Atmos turned off in ATV4K settings

I play any shows no problem whether there is a Atmos logo or 5.1 logo. Receiver shows Multi PCM.

Any suggestions? Getting frustrated

5 hours ago, kc01 said:

Help! Downloaded IOS12 today. Receiver is Anthem MRX720.

A. Atmos turned on in ATV4K settings

Able to see Atmos logo in Netflix site e.g. Altered Carbon and Lost in Space. For those shows which do not have Atmos logo, just 5.1 logo in Netflix, I can play no problem. But shows with Atmos logo, I have problem playing resulting in either situation: 
1. No picture and no sound, receiver shows PCM 2.0; or
2. Got picture and no sound, receiver shows Multi PCM.

B. Atmos turned off in ATV4K settings

I play any shows no problem whether there is a Atmos logo or 5.1 logo. Receiver shows Multi PCM.

Any suggestions? Getting frustrated

Don't have a ATV4K kc but does it have an option to output bitstream rather than decoding it to multi pcm ? Until your 720 reads dolby truehd; dd plus [ the 2 codecs that can have atmos] on its gui it wont decode the atmos metadata sent with the bitstream ;)

I imagine your hdmi cables are 18gbps capable . HDMI "standards" are quite flexible and up for interpretation as to how different ce's interact together . Apple have a large r&d staff on interoperability I read and attend this as needed :)

https://www.etsi.org/about/what-we-do/plugtests/calendar-of-events/hdmi-plugfest-event

• 2 weeks later...

9 minutes ago, muriwai said:

Ok got an Apple TV 4K now setup with my new nbn planemoji3.png
In settings though audio is not able to be bitstreamed
So only options are atmos if available or pcm which then my marantz prepro won't upscale to 7.6.4 stuck with 5.1

What files do you watch ? Infuse 5 can bitstream files from a local server or HD - 

https://firecore.com/infuse

• 9 months later...

Lovely wife and kids want to buy me an Apple TV for my upcoming birthday.

I have an older LG 50 in Plasma Tv to plug it into so  do all I need is the basic 32gb or is the 64gb 4K going to be the Ants Pants?

9 minutes ago, Tony ray said:

Tanks guys.

Another Question, can I run a Telstra TV and an Apple TV off the same router?

But on different TVs.

of course. The router doesn't know what it's plugged into. I have 4 Apple TV's in my house connected to various TV's or our projector via the AV processor, some by ethernet and some wireless.

• Thanks 1

Just a heads-up - Netflix no longer streams from your phone/tablet on Apple TV.

Of course you can still run it through the Apple TV itself, and use dictation or an iDevice to enter search text. 

6 minutes ago, Mute-on said:

Just a heads-up - Netflix no longer streams from your phone/tablet on Apple TV.

Of course you can still run it through the Apple TV itself, and use dictation or an iDevice to enter search text. 

I have never ever thought to watch any streaming service in this manner. I don't understand why you would when the apps is available natively on the Apple TV.

* This is not a criticism BTW, but I guess I would only use a phone or tablet when a PC or TV is not available.

2 hours ago, Tony ray said:

Lovely wife and kids want to buy me an Apple TV for my upcoming birthday.

I have an older LG 50 in Plasma Tv to plug it into so  do all I need is the basic 32gb or is the 64gb 4K going to be the Ants Pants?

If you are going to install a lot of apps or games you will need the 64gb. What I mean by apps is for example you install all the FTA catch up apps like ABC iview, SBS on demand etc, they all take up space so you will have to allow for them. I have a 32gb but I have no game apps.

• Thanks 1