Sign in to follow this  
Snoopy8

How large a TV for Free To Air?

We use a Panasonic 60" 1080p plasma TV every day to watch free to air (FTA).  Watching news, TV shows  is ok but live sport is poor on the non HD channels. e.g. Wimbledon tennis is so, so on Ch 72. But cannot compare with the disaster of ABC showing the Asia Cup soccer final played in Sydney a few years ago.  The same TV is used in a home theatre setup for movies.

Am tempted to upgrade to 4K and get a larger screen for movies.  Not possible to add a second TV, and a projector is out.  But am concerned that a 65" or 75" (or larger if I win the lottery!) will be not good for FTA.  Yes, upscaling on newer TVs is likely to be better but there is only so much that can be done with a low resolution signal.  So, looking for people's experience with large TV s on FTA.  How large can a TV be for FTA use?

just remember its not the size but what you do with it :D 

ie a 65" TV up close is going to be overwhelming.... sit too far back and its like a postage stamp :D 

some guidelines are sitting x screen heights to resolve detail... other is immersion.

with screen heights if you want to fully resolve 4K you want to sit at 1-1.5 x screen heights ie 810mm to 1200mm ! for a 65" which is impractical for most TVs...ie physically too close... and while will fully resolve 4k our less than poor quality FTA which his not even really HD TV due to poor bit rates is going to look VERY average. and we have to bear in mind...soemthign folks dont realise with even 4k source we dont get 4k detail... 

a compromise is looking at resolving 2k or ie sit around 3x image heights ? so for a 65" telly thats 2.429m which also corresponds to viewing distance to fully resolve 1080p which is 2.570m but then you will not resolve at all anything above that with your 4k screen

so whats possibly worth considering is immersion instead so look at THX spec for immersion. ie their max, min,  and recommended.. ie 26 deg, 36 deg or 41.5deg..

their recommended at 41.5deg results with a 65" screen to be a viewing distance of 1.977m, their maximum of 2.283. an minimum of 3166mm.

the beauty with the recommended 41.5deg is it over resolves 1080p so giving some gains with 4k but not crazily too close that hdtv and our sub par fta is going to look a mess !  it also works in well audio wise...

one other  solution to all this is a telly thats resolving 1080p for fta and a larger drop down screen for 4k thats more in spec with 
THX for immersion...keeping in mind unlikely we will truly see 4k detail. 

2 hours ago, Snoopy8 said:

We use a Panasonic 60" 1080p plasma TV every day to watch free to air (FTA).  Watching news, TV shows  is ok but live sport is poor on the non HD channels. e.g. Wimbledon tennis is so, so on Ch 72. But cannot compare with the disaster of ABC showing the Asia Cup soccer final played in Sydney a few years ago.  The same TV is used in a home theatre setup for movies.

Am tempted to upgrade to 4K and get a larger screen for movies.  Not possible to add a second TV, and a projector is out.  But am concerned that a 65" or 75" (or larger if I win the lottery!) will be not good for FTA.  Yes, upscaling on newer TVs is likely to be better but there is only so much that can be done with a low resolution signal.  So, looking for people's experience with large TV s on FTA.  How large can a TV be for FTA use?

I have 18month old Samsung 65". Looks extremely good to me using FTA channels.

It is much better than the Sony Bravia (2009) I had.

I still look longingly at the 75" and think maybe...…….

Thank you @betty boop.  I get your point about immersion and viewing distance.  Currently, about 2 m away from 60" screen and I agree I could get away with 65" for FTA.  By not a 75" or larger (Tattslotto win assuming).   I could increase viewing distance by opening the glass sliding doors behind, but somehow I don't think that sitting in the al fresco to watch FTA will pass... 

p/s drop down screen will definitely get me kicked out  to the dog house and our dogs live inside all the time. 😅

38 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

Thank you @betty boop.  I get your point about immersion and viewing distance.  Currently, about 2 m away from 60" screen and I agree I could get away with 65" for FTA.  By not a 75" or larger (Tattslotto win assuming).   I could increase viewing distance by opening the glass sliding doors behind, but somehow I don't think that sitting in the al fresco to watch FTA will pass... 

p/s drop down screen will definitely get me kicked out  to the dog house and our dogs live inside all the time. 😅

decent 75" and larger are silly money in any case snoopy. better a top quality 65" oled or something than a sub par 75 for same money id say :) at ~2m a 65" is going to be bang on for thx recommended spec for immersion. id say go for it ! 

1 minute ago, betty boop said:

decent 75" and larger are silly money in any case snoopy. better a top quality 65" oled or something than a sub par 75 for same money id say :) at ~2m a 65" is going to be bang on for thx recommended spec for immersion. id say go for it ! 

Agreed. As a happy plasma owner, difficult to move over to anything but OLED. Pricing does get silly with 75" or more but OLED is in bank robbery territory at that size.  

When I posted this thread, I thought the answer was max 65" for FTA but maybe others may prove me wrong...

1 hour ago, Snoopy8 said:

Currently, about 2 m away from 60" screen and I agree I could get away with 65" for FTA.

2m, wow thats close. Do you live in a bed sit appartment? 🤔

If you are happy with your 60" definitely go 65" with a new TV, otherwise stay with what you have.

58 minutes ago, Owen said:

2m, wow thats close. Do you live in a bed sit appartment? 🤔

:oops:  You are correct!  Tape measure says 3 metres, shows how bad I am in judging distances at a glance.  😥

2 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

:oops:  You are correct!  Tape measure says 3 metres, shows how bad I am in judging distances at a glance.  😥

3m, while fine for FTA... you need a larger screen... :D

for 3m THX recommended would be 100"

for a screen that size you are well within 3954mm needed to resolve 1080p, so be over resolving and get some benefit with 4k :) 

at 3m  sitting currently whether 60 or 65" is not going to see much change size wise. main difference going from plasma to oled. some gains in WCG and HDR... personally id stick with what you have and spend money burning hole in pocket ...somewhere else...

or try convince the almighty that a discrete 100" motorised screen up on the ceiling that drop down in front of the 60" plasma for larger screen viewing movies and uhd material is way to go ! 

I’m sitting 3,5m from my 65” and can easily imagine 75” but as you say I’m not willing to pay silly money for such size, I wouldn’t go any smaller size though

1 hour ago, betty boop said:

for 3m THX recommended would be 100"

Oh dear, this is only 88"!!  Looks like I will need to cross it off the list.  😂

OLED88Z9PTA_OLED_TV_4K_2232019_D

1 hour ago, betty boop said:

at 3m  sitting currently whether 60 or 65" is not going to see much change size wise. main difference going from plasma to oled. some gains in WCG and HDR... personally id stick with what you have and spend money burning hole in pocket ...somewhere else...

Good points. You and others reminded me why I was never in a hurry to upgrade to 4K and should think twice about doing so in the near future.  Makes me wonder why so many are splashing out for 4K when they will unlikely see it ???

31 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

Good points. You and others reminded me why I was never in a hurry to upgrade to 4K and should think twice about doing so in the near future.  Makes me wonder why so many are splashing out for 4K when they will unlikely see it ???

8k is even more of a joke as no ways anyone will be resolving that even if we had the source material that could deliver :D 

why so many splashing out on new TVs ? 4k does bring some benefits... WCG, HDR colour volume... and some benefit with resolution... likely first time we are seeing 2k :)  and beyond...  probably larger than what they had better PQ than what they had ... LCDs have improved ... telly die ... OLEDs to replace old plasmas ... that eventually die... my old kuro wont be getting replaced ... till it dies ...at 50" its good enough for FTA... leaving larger drop down projector screen for bigger screen experience ... :)

Hi Snoop ,

We have a 75 inch Panasonic FX780. It was either  65 inch Oled or a 75 inch LED. I use a drop down 120 inch screen infront of the TV So Used to bigger size. Size wins in our place So Pana it was. I could have gone Sony but Picture is good enough and Sony was close to 4k and Pana was < 3k delivered . I have calibrated the picture using I1 display pro and extremely happy with the picture.  Only complain is that TV screen is glass and is reflective , Other then that happy with it. We sit roughly 4 meters from the TV .

Cheers

54 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

Oh dear, this is only 88"!!  Looks like I will need to cross it off the list.  😂

OLED88Z9PTA_OLED_TV_4K_2232019_D

😂 

btw, one more thing, if I would be buying new TV it won't be because of resolution but color gamut, color accuracy, black levels, refresh rate, HDR and I don't know what else which makes today's TV with today's tech exceptional, add easy of use, smart functions and one box solution and you might end up finally using your TV the way you always wanted without worrying about cables, boxes and several remotes laying around, that's at least for me one of the aspects which pushed me to upgrade 

Last time I was in a shop I really liked Sony A9F 65" 4K UHD for around $5k. 

Thank you for all your posts. 

It brings me to an interesting question on whether there is such a thing as buying a good TV with deep blacks, good colours that is NOT 4K?  Even budget TVs have 4K because the public have been conned (by marketing) into thinking that 4K. Come to think of it, I belong in this camp just by starting this thread.  :sad: 😭

Edited by Snoopy8
Typo

2 hours ago, betty boop said:

OLEDs to replace old plasmas ... that eventually die...

Yep, they do ☹️ Only reason I'm getting a new TV.

12 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

Thank you for all your posts. 

It brings me to an interesting question on whether there is such a thing as buying a good TV with deep blacks, good colours that is NOT 4K?  Even budget TVs have 4K because the public have been conned (by marketing) into thinking that 4K. Come to think of it, I belong in this camp just by starting this thread.  :sad: 😭

there are benefits of 4k... as mentioned for first time we experience 2k :D ... and beyond...

but no...  all tellys are 4k these days.. so its not like have a choice :D ....well apart from continuing to watch fta on your old non 4k telly ... which makes total sense and is totally appropriate for fta ... or blu-ray and HDTV and such ...

There’s nothing wrong with 4k TV, you just might not appreciate it’s full benefit due to longer viewing distance but once you watch 4K HDR movie or docu it’s realy hard to go back 😀

15 hours ago, Snoopy8 said:

Snoop ; Ime reading a clue [ ime easily distracted :) ] in that you mention sd channel viewing only . Are you by any chance using an sd tuner built in to the pana ? Before you start spending ; try a hd pvr and delete all the heavily compressed sd for the less so hd alternatives .

I would never watch Wimbledon on  sd ch72 ; its on Primehd up here ;) 

3 hours ago, cwt said:

Snoop ; Ime reading a clue [ ime easily distracted :) ] in that you mention sd channel viewing only . Are you by any chance using an sd tuner built in to the pana ? Before you start spending ; try a hd pvr and delete all the heavily compressed sd for the less so hd alternatives .

I would never watch Wimbledon on  sd ch72 ; its on Primehd up here ;) 

Good observation, but Pana has a HD tuner. The lousy picture of some live sports is at the source.  Channel 7 is short changing Wimbledon viewers in Metro areas by using the HD channels to show its crap before switching over at 9 pm last night to the tennis.  Later in the week, it focuses on the football codes including at least half an hour on post match crap, so switches to tennis even later. 

You are lucky that PrimeHD thinks it can get more eyeballs with the tennis...

@Snoopy8 I upgraded recently from 50" plasma to a 65" OLED.

I watch a fair bit of FTA, but mainly on the HD channels. The upgrade to me was definitely worth it because it was a decent increase in TV size, the Sony OLED is a better picture than my old plasma, 4k UHD movies look awesome.

Regarding FTA the HD channels all look good, the SD channels vary, as example the tennis looks crap before it changes over to the 7 HD. Interestingly some of the SD is actually pretty good and then some is unwatchable. 

I sit 3m from my TV.

2 hours ago, Whites said:

@Snoopy8 I upgraded recently from 50" plasma to a 65" OLED.

I watch a fair bit of FTA, but mainly on the HD channels. The upgrade to me was definitely worth it because it was a decent increase in TV size, the Sony OLED is a better picture than my old plasma, 4k UHD movies look awesome.

Regarding FTA the HD channels all look good, the SD channels vary, as example the tennis looks crap before it changes over to the 7 HD. Interestingly some of the SD is actually pretty good and then some is unwatchable. 

I sit 3m from my TV.

Good to hear. It is a big jump from 50 to 65 OLED.  That will be my likely upgrade path when the plasma goes.  

18 hours ago, gillmaverick said:

Hi Snoop ,

We have a 75 inch Panasonic FX780. It was either  65 inch Oled or a 75 inch LED. I use a drop down 120 inch screen infront of the TV So Used to bigger size. Size wins in our place So Pana it was. I could have gone Sony but Picture is good enough and Sony was close to 4k and Pana was < 3k delivered . I have calibrated the picture using I1 display pro and extremely happy with the picture.  Only complain is that TV screen is glass and is reflective , Other then that happy with it. We sit roughly 4 meters from the TV .

Cheers

Gill, how much FTA do you watch? I can't go back 4m, which is where the sliding glass doors are. I suspect 75" is too big for 3m viewing of FTA?  Ok for HD channels, not so for SD?  Also, viewing angles and blacks are important, so next upgrade will be OLED

@Snoopy8 Do you use a Harmony remote? If so avoid Hisence TV's, the 2 don't play well with eachother. We bought 1 to replace our base model Samsung LCD. After a week of not getting it to work with our Harmony remote (a non negotiable) it is now in our "cardio" room as an expensive monitor for my virtual cycling software.