Sign in to follow this  
wheelz

pre amp sound problem

Hi all just started having a problem with my processor, when i first turn on i get no sound, after awhile you hear a little bit of scratchie noise which builds up to bits and pieces of talk/song and then eventually the sound is good. Its doing my head in. It happens on all inputs fox,stb,cd player,blu ray player so i dont think its any leads as some are using hdmi and others just toslink. Any suggestions?

Could you let us know the brand and model of your processor, it might be possible then to see the designers intentions with a schematic, and advise you what the problem might be. But at a guess you have  failed output capacitors.  as you have advised the fault is on all inputs, and possibly on both channels as well ? Alternatively a power supply capacitor issue might 

be the issue, or something as simple as a bad solder joint. To resolve these for you, some basic information would help greatly.  

Edited by stereo coffee

Yes sorry for lack of info, using  Sherbourn PT-7030 preamp and rotel rmb1075.

cheers

9 hours ago, stereo coffee said:

But at a guess you have  failed output capacitors.  as you have advised the fault is on all inputs, and possibly on both channels as well ?

Given that the output coupling caps surely are film caps ... I'd be surprised that they can 'fail'?

Sure it might be PS problem - but could also, as you said, be a couple of dry solder joints in the signal path.  :(

Andy